Aspect Income Protection Insurance
Find out if Aspect income protection is right for you with our revie
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Aspect made its start with accident and health insurance before venturing into income protection. With extensive experience in the insurance industry Aspect offers its customer reliable cover that they can depend on.
There are several features that set Aspect apart from the crowd including the ability to cover up to 85% of your salary, flexible benefit and waiting periods and an entry age all the way up to 65.
|Maximum monthly benefit amount||$42,000 (Up to 85% of your income(|
|Age of entry||18–65|
|How do I apply?||Online|
This cover might be suitable if:
- You are under 65
- You are looking for income protection with a high benefit limit and percentage of income covered.
- You are after a longer benefit period and lower waiting period.
- If you have had pre-existing medical conditions in the past but have gotten better and haven't needed treatment in the past 12 months, then you could be eligible for cover (conditions apply).
Apply carefully if:
- You have an ongoing pre-existing medical condition that still requires treatment it may be excluded.
Don't get this cover if:
- You are after cover from a brand that's been in the market for a while (Aspect was founded in 2016)
What else can I find on this page?
About the provider
Aspect is a new, specialist insurance company that was founded in 2016 by one of Australia’s leading accident and health specialists. The business’s three core functions are underwriting, broking and consulting.
Aspect underwrites its own policies as a designated coverholder of Lloyd’s of London. Its policies include accidental death, total and permanent disability, income protection and trauma.
The company also offers brokering services, giving you access to more areas of cover including a range of business, property, car and travel insurance products.
Aspect takes a fresh, streamlined approach to getting you covered quickly and easily. You can purchase cover immediately online without the need for lengthy forms and without the need to talk to a sales consultant.
But if it is personalised attention you are after, you can get that too. Aspect believes in developing long-term relationships and has a team of people who understand your needs.
What are the highlights of Aspect’s income protection policy?
There are a few features that help Aspect’s income protection policy stand out from the crowd. These include:
- The ability to cover up to 85% of your income. Most policies on the market cap you at 75%.
- Your choice of benefit period and waiting period. This gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of structuring your policy and adjusting your premium.
- Partial disablement benefits. Some policies will only cover you if you become permanently disabled.
- A higher entry age. Many policies won’t let you sign up if you are 60 or older. With Aspect, you can join until you are 65.
- The ability to waive your premium. You will not have to pay your premium during any period you are receiving income protection benefits.
- Rehab assistance. In addition to your income replacement, Aspect may agree to pitch in towards rehab and return-to-work assistance.
- Homemaker assistance. If your spouse or partner acts as homemaker and is injured or ill for more than 24 hours, this policy will pay a benefit that will help them perform their homemaker duties.
- The ability to add additional benefits. You can choose to pay an extra premium for a host of additional benefits, including cover for involuntary unemployment, housekeeper expenses or childcare expenses.
How flexible is Aspect’s income protection policy?
You have a lot of options when you sign up for income protection through Aspect, making this one of the more flexible policies out there. Here are some ways you can customise your policy:
- Choose your benefit period. This is the length of time you’ll continue to receive benefits once they start. You can choose a benefit period of one, two or five years. The longer the period, the higher your premium will be.
- Choose your waiting period. This is the amount of time before your benefits kick in after you become disabled due to injury or illness. You can choose a waiting period of 14, 30, 60 or 90 days. The shorter your waiting period, the higher your premium so it makes sense to choose a longer waiting period if you have enough savings to keep yourself afloat for a little while after injury.
- Pause your premiums. If you become unemployed, you can pause your premiums for up to three months with no pause in cover.
- Increase your cover over time. Every year, your benefit will increase by 3% to keep up with inflation. You are also entitled to a 15% increase in cover without giving out any additional health information if you get married, have a child, get promoted or start a new job.
When will a benefit be paid?
You will be eligible for benefits if you become partially or totally disabled, in a temporary capacity. Here is how it breaks down:
|Type of temporary disability||Definition||Benefit|
|Total disablement||Disablement that entirely prevents the insured person from attending to their business or occupation.||The benefit amount listed in your policy.|
|Partial disablement||Disablement that prevents the insured person from attending to a substantial part of their business or occupation.||The benefit amount listed in your policy minus any income you receive working in a reduced capacity OR 25% of the benefit amount listed in your policy if you decline to work in a reduced capacity.|
How much will it cost?
The cost of cover will depend on a few factors including the amount you cover, your lifestyle factors and any additional options you choose. One advantage of Aspect Income Protection is how it will break down your premium during the quote process:
The above example is from a sample quote taken on October 2018. Your actual premium will vary based on your personal circumstances.Go to Site
When won’t a benefit be paid?
There are certain situations where you wouldn’t be eligible to claim even if you became disabled. Here are some reasons your claim could be denied:
- You deliberately exposed yourself to unnecessary danger
- It’s the result of self-inflicted harm or attempted suicide
- Anything to do with pregnancy unless it’s a complication that occurs within the first 33 weeks of pregnancy
- It’s related to professional sports, war or any pre-existing condition
- It’s related to elective surgery, unless you’ve purchased the additional benefits bundle
More guides on Finder
Free shipping policy templates (Australia)
A shipping policy lets customers know how their product will be delivered.
Free IT Policy Templates (Australia)
Don’t leave your IT security up to chance with our guide to creating your IT policy.
Free Return to Work Policy Templates (Australia)
Ease the transition after a staff absence with a Return to Work Policy.
Free discrimination policy templates (Australia)
How to find a discrimination policy template to help protect your business.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
How to start a small business from home
6 tips to start a successful home based business.
Pets in apartments: Sydney ruling sparks insurance questions
The NSW Supreme Court has given the go-ahead for pets in apartments. But there are things to consider before moving a furry friend into your home.
Free Conflict of Interest Policy templates (Australia)
Use a Conflict of Interest Policy to minimise conflicts of interest in the workplace.
Free Recruitment Policy templates (Australia)
A recruitment policy can help you to establish a fair and consistent hiring process across your business.
Knife sharpening services
Choosing a knife sharpening service is essential to ensure that your knives are in the best shape.
Ask an Expert