We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Aspect made its start with accident and health insurance before venturing into income protection. With extensive experience in the insurance industry Aspect offers its customer reliable cover that they can depend on.
There are several features that set Aspect apart from the crowd including the ability to cover up to 85% of your salary, flexible benefit and waiting periods and an entry age all the way up to 65.
|Maximum monthly benefit amount||$42,000 (Up to 85% of your income(|
|Age of entry||18–65|
|How do I apply?||Online|
This cover might be suitable if:
- You are under 65
- You are looking for income protection with a high benefit limit and percentage of income covered.
- You are after a longer benefit period and lower waiting period.
- If you have had pre-existing medical conditions in the past but have gotten better and haven't needed treatment in the past 12 months, then you could be eligible for cover (conditions apply).
Apply carefully if:
- You have an ongoing pre-existing medical condition that still requires treatment it may be excluded.
Don't get this cover if:
- You are after cover from a brand that's been in the market for a while (Aspect was founded in 2016)
What else can I find on this page?
About the provider
Aspect is a new, specialist insurance company that was founded in 2016 by one of Australia's leading accident and health specialists. The business's three core functions are underwriting, broking and consulting.
Aspect underwrites its own policies as a designated coverholder of Lloyd's of London. Its policies include accidental death, total and permanent disability, income protection and trauma.
The company also offers brokering services, giving you access to more areas of cover including a range of business, property, car and travel insurance products.
Aspect takes a fresh, streamlined approach to getting you covered quickly and easily. You can purchase cover immediately online without the need for lengthy forms and without the need to talk to a sales consultant.
But if it is personalised attention you are after, you can get that too. Aspect believes in developing long-term relationships and has a team of people who understand your needs.
What are the highlights of Aspect's income protection policy?
There are a few features that help Aspect's income protection policy stand out from the crowd. These include:
- The ability to cover up to 85% of your income. Most policies on the market cap you at 75%.
- Your choice of benefit period and waiting period. This gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of structuring your policy and adjusting your premium.
- Partial disablement benefits. Some policies will only cover you if you become permanently disabled.
- A higher entry age. Many policies won't let you sign up if you are 60 or older. With Aspect, you can join until you are 65.
- The ability to waive your premium. You will not have to pay your premium during any period you are receiving income protection benefits.
- Rehab assistance. In addition to your income replacement, Aspect may agree to pitch in towards rehab and return-to-work assistance.
- Homemaker assistance. If your spouse or partner acts as homemaker and is injured or ill for more than 24 hours, this policy will pay a benefit that will help them perform their homemaker duties.
- The ability to add additional benefits. You can choose to pay an extra premium for a host of additional benefits, including cover for involuntary unemployment, housekeeper expenses or childcare expenses.
How flexible is Aspect's income protection policy?
You have a lot of options when you sign up for income protection through Aspect, making this one of the more flexible policies out there. Here are some ways you can customise your policy:
- Choose your benefit period. This is the length of time you'll continue to receive benefits once they start. You can choose a benefit period of one, two or five years. The longer the period, the higher your premium will be.
- Choose your waiting period. This is the amount of time before your benefits kick in after you become disabled due to injury or illness. You can choose a waiting period of 14, 30, 60 or 90 days. The shorter your waiting period, the higher your premium so it makes sense to choose a longer waiting period if you have enough savings to keep yourself afloat for a little while after injury.
- Pause your premiums. If you become unemployed, you can pause your premiums for up to three months with no pause in cover.
- Increase your cover over time. Every year, your benefit will increase by 3% to keep up with inflation. You are also entitled to a 15% increase in cover without giving out any additional health information if you get married, have a child, get promoted or start a new job.
When will a benefit be paid?
You will be eligible for benefits if you become partially or totally disabled, in a temporary capacity. Here is how it breaks down:
|Type of temporary disability||Definition||Benefit|
|Total disablement||Disablement that entirely prevents the insured person from attending to their business or occupation.||The benefit amount listed in your policy.|
|Partial disablement||Disablement that prevents the insured person from attending to a substantial part of their business or occupation.||The benefit amount listed in your policy minus any income you receive working in a reduced capacity OR 25% of the benefit amount listed in your policy if you decline to work in a reduced capacity.|
How much will it cost?
The cost of cover will depend on a few factors including the amount you cover, your lifestyle factors and any additional options you choose. One advantage of Aspect Income Protection is how it will break down your premium during the quote process:
|Income Protection - Injury||$375.64|
|Income Protection - Illness||$250.42|
|Accidental Death Cover Premium||$0.00|
|TPD Normal - Injury Cover Premium||$0.00|
|TPD Normal - Illness Cover Premium||$0.00|
|TPD Other - Injury Cover Premium||$0.00|
|TPD Other - Illness Cover Premium||$0.00|
|Trauma Cover Premium||$0.00|
|Discount On Income Protection||$0.00|
|Discount On Accidental Death||$0.00|
|Discount On TPD Other||$0.00|
|Discount On Trauma||$0.00|
|Underwriter Loading Value||$0.00|
|Final Base Premium||$626.06|
|Total Amount Payable||$783.65|
The above example is from a sample quote taken on September 2021. Your actual premium will vary based on your personal circumstances.
When won't a benefit be paid?
There are certain situations where you wouldn't be eligible to claim even if you became disabled. Here are some reasons your claim could be denied:
- You deliberately exposed yourself to unnecessary danger
- It's the result of self-inflicted harm or attempted suicide
- Anything to do with pregnancy unless it's a complication that occurs within the first 33 weeks of pregnancy
- It's related to professional sports, war or any pre-existing condition
- It's related to elective surgery, unless you've purchased the additional benefits bundle
More guides on Finder
Buy sell insurance agreements
Learn how buy sell insurance actually works and organise cover with a consultant to protect your business and loved ones.
Big income protection changes just 2 weeks away: What you must do now
A number of major income protection changes are taking place on 1 October – here's how the new rules impact you.
Coronavirus: How it’s impacting life insurance
The outbreak of covid-19 has many people wondering about their insurance options. This guide helps answer all you life insurance question during the coronavirus outbreak.
APRA changes: Why you need to sort your income protection right now
Learn about the upcoming APRA rule changes and discover why consumers should act now to avoid a watered-down income protection policy.
As prices skyrocket, here’s how to get affordable income protection insurance
Policies have offered excellent value for years, but prices are rising. Thankfully, there are ways to limit the damage.
Income protection for single parents
Find out why you need income protection if you’re a single parent.
Is income protection worth it for students?
Find out how students can benefit from income protection insurance.
Income protection for builders
The ins and outs of income protection insurance for builders.
Coronavirus worries: Can redundancy cover give me some security?
Redundancy cover is back on after temporary pause during coronavirus. Here's the low down on what's happening.
Income protection lump sum payout
Everything you need to know about income protection lump sum payouts.
Ask an Expert