Aspect made its start with accident and health insurance before venturing into income protection. With extensive experience in the insurance industry Aspect offers its customer reliable cover that they can depend on.
There are several features that set Aspect apart from the crowd including the ability to cover up to 85% of your salary, flexible benefit and waiting periods and an entry age all the way up to 70.
Information is subject to change. Always consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) on the provider website.
This cover might be suitable if:
- You are under 70
- You are looking for income protection with a high benefit limit and percentage of income covered.
- You are after a longer benefit period and lower waiting period.
- If you have had pre-existing medical conditions in the past but have gotten better and haven't needed treatment in the past 12 months, then you could be eligible for cover (conditions apply).
Apply carefully if:
- You have an ongoing pre-existing medical condition that still requires treatment it may be excluded.
Don't get this cover if:
- You are after cover from a renowned brand that's been in the market for a while (Aspect was founded in 2016).
- You are unemployed/do not work.
- You already have an income protection policy (individually or through employer or superannuation fund) which covers your income.
- You can cover up to 85% of your income.
- Flexible benefit and waiting periods..
- Simple application process
- Has a shorter exclusion window for pre-existing conditions than many other insurers.
- Hasn't been around as long as some competitors
- Limited cover for pregnancy.
Aspect is a new, specialist insurance company that was founded in 2016 by one of Australia's leading accident and health specialists. The business's three core functions are underwriting, broking and consulting.
Aspect underwrites its own life policies as a designated coverholder of Lloyd's of London. Its policies include accidental death, total and permanent disability, income protection and trauma.
There are a few features that help Aspect's income protection policy stand out from the crowd. These include:
- The ability to cover up to 85% of your income. Most policies on the market cap you at 75%.
- Your choice of benefit period and waiting period. This gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of structuring your policy and adjusting your premium.
- Partial disablement benefits. Some policies will only cover you if you become permanently disabled.
- A higher entry age. Many policies won't let you sign up if you are 60 or older. With Aspect, you can join until you are 65.
- The ability to waive your premium. You will not have to pay your premium during any period you are receiving income protection benefits.
- Rehab assistance. In addition to your income replacement, Aspect may agree to pitch in towards rehab and return-to-work assistance.
- Homemaker assistance. If your spouse or partner acts as homemaker and is injured or ill for more than 24 hours, this policy will pay a benefit that will help them perform their homemaker duties.
- The ability to add additional benefits. You can choose to pay an extra premium for a host of additional benefits, this may include cover for involuntary unemployment, housekeeper expenses or childcare expenses.
You have a lot of options when you sign up for income protection through Aspect, making this one of the more flexible policies out there. Here are some ways you can customise your policy:
- Choose your benefit period. This is the length of time you'll continue to receive benefits once they start. You can choose a benefit period of one, two or five years. The longer the period, the higher your premium will be.
- Choose your waiting period. This is the amount of time before your benefits kick in after you become disabled due to injury or illness. You can choose a waiting period of 14, 30, 60 or 90 days. The shorter your waiting period, the higher your premium so it makes sense to choose a longer waiting period if you have enough savings to keep yourself afloat for a little while after injury.
- Pause your premiums. If you become unemployed, you can pause your premiums for up to three months with no pause in cover.
- Increase your cover over time. Every year, your benefit will increase by 3%, to help keep up with inflation. You are also entitled to a 15% increase in cover without giving out any additional health information if you get married, have a child, get promoted or start a new job.
You will be eligible for benefits if you become partially or totally disabled, in a temporary capacity. Here is how it breaks down:
The cost of cover will depend on a few factors including the amount you cover, your lifestyle factors and any additional options you choose. One advantage of Aspect Income Protection is how it will break down your premium during the quote process so you'll know exactly how much you're paying for each benefit and decide what is worth it for you.
You pay the same as buying directly from the insurer. We make money
from referral fees when you choose a policy, but you don't pay any extra.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. Our opinions are our own and all guides must meet our editorial standards
We're here to help
Since 2016, we've helped thousands of Australians find income protection by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly.
Frequently asked questions