Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Super funds for temporary Australian residents

If you're a temporary resident working in Australia you could be eligible for superannuation payments, which you can withdraw when you leave Australia.

If you're working in Australia as a temporary resident you may be eligible for super payments from your employer. If you're over 18 and are working as an employee rather than a contractor then you should be receiving the super guarantee, which is currently 11% of your annual earnings.

Super funds for temporary residents

The good news is there aren't any special or restricted super funds dedicated towards temporary residents. You can choose any open super fund to join to receive your super payments while you're working in Australia. Your employer might have a preferred fund, but you're not obligated to go with their choice of fund if you don't want to.

Once you've chosen your super fund and joined the fund (your employer can help you with this), simply give the account details to your employer so they can pay your super into your chosen fund. You can see a list of options below, or, if you need some help choosing, see our guide on how to choose a super fund.

Claiming your super money when you've left Australia

When you leave Australia you can apply to receive your super money. This is via a payment called the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). You need to be a former temporary resident to access a DASP payout.

In order to determine whether you are an eligible former temporary resident of Australia, which is what you need to be in order to claim your superannuation benefits following departure, you should bear in mind the following:

  • You need to have permanently left Australia in order to be considered an eligible former temporary resident of the country
  • Your temporary visa must have either expired or have been cancelled in order to be classed as an eligible former temporary resident of Australia

Also bear in mind that you will not be classed as an eligible former temporary resident of Australia if the following applies:

  • You are a citizen of New Zealand or Australia
  • You are a permanent resident of New Zealand or Australia
  • You still hold a valid temporary visa or you are the holder of a permanent visa
  • You are the holder of a Subclass 405 (Investor Retirement) visa or Subclass 410 (Retirement) visa

Finder survey: Which super fund are Australians with?

Retail Employees Superannuation Trust4.07%10.71%
Australian Retirement Trust8.13%8.22%
HOSTPLUS Superannuation Fund4.47%7.07%
AMP Super Fund6.71%3.82%
Aware Super5.49%4.78%
Colonial First State FirstChoice Superannuation Trust4.27%1.53%
MLC Super Fund2.64%1.72%
Mercer Super Trust1.83%1.15%
Spirit Super1.63%1.15%
Care Super1.02%0.96%
Construction and Building Unions Superannuation Fund (CBUS)1.02%0.38%
Retirement Wrap0.2%
Wealth Personal Superannuation and Pension Fund0.19%
Source: Finder survey by Pure Profile of 1016 Australians, December 2023

Making your claim for super benefits

If you meet the eligibility criteria as a former temporary resident of Australia and you are looking to claim your superannuation benefits there are a couple of options open to you. If it's been less than 6 months since you permanently left Australia you can apply directly to your super fund. If it's been more than 6 months, you'll need to apply with the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

  • Make your claim directly to the super fund. If it has been less than six months since you permanently departed Australia and you're looking to claim your superannuation benefits you can make a claim directly to the super fund. You can usually get the ball rolling by going online or by contacting the company by phone to start your claim. This is best to do before you even leave Australia, as it can be quicker and easier. You'll need to submit an Application for DASP form to request you money from your fund.
  • Go through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO): If your superannuation benefits go unclaimed for more than six months after you permanently depart Australia your benefits will generally be transferred to the ATO and classed officially as unclaimed super. The ATO holds a database of unclaimed super. To request your super is located and sent to you, you'll need to fill out a Request for ATO-held super form.

It is also worth noting that if you left Australia more than six months ago and your unclaimed super has been transferred to the ATO, you will no longer be classed as an active member of that superfund and you will therefore no longer be receiving earnings on your investment. Any insurance cover that formed part of your membership to the superfund will also become invalid when the unclaimed benefit has been transferred over to the ATO.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site