NGS Super: Performance, investments and fees
NGS Super is an industry fund for members working in non-government education and community organisations. It has 7 different investment portfolios to choose between, including an ethical option.
Key features of NGS Super
- Designed for the community. NGS Super is an industry fund for those working in non-government education and community organisations, however it is now open to everyone to join.
- More than 100,000 members. NGS super has more than 100,000 members across Australia.
- Default insurance options. Eligible members will get default insurance cover when joining the fund with no medical exams.
- MySuper product. The NGS Super Diversified (MySuper) investment option is the default option for all members when joining the fund, unless you choose otherwise.
- Pre-mixed investment options. Members can choose between a range of 6 additional pre-mixed investment options that each have a different risk level and asset allocation.
- Ethical option. One of the pre-mixed investment options, NGS Super Socially Responsible Diversified, has an ethical investment focus.
NGS Super pre-mixed investment options
Members can choose between these 7 pre-mixed, diversified investment options depending on the level of risk you want to take on. If you don't make an investment choice, you'll be placed in the Diversified (MySuper) option, which is the default MySuper investment product designed to suit most members.
|Investment option||Risk level||Target asset allocation|
Your money is invested in more defensive asset classes such as fixed interest and cash. Shares and infrastructure also remain in the picture, albeit in small manner. With this option, you'd be looking at low to medium risk over a period of five years, which would increase to low risk for 10 years.
This is the default investment option designed to suit most members. It's where you'll be invested if you don't make an investment preference. It has a focus on growth over the medium to long term.
This option sits somewhere in the middle - it aims to provide a balanced exposure to defensive and growth asset classes.
|Medium to High|
|Socially Responsible Diversified|
This option has a similar allocation to growth and defensive assets as the default Diversified MySuper option and therefore the same risk level. However, this option considers investments that focus on managing sustainability and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks.
This option provides more allocation to growth assets than the previous options, and may suit members looking for more exposure to shares. It's designed for members with a longer investment timeframe of at least 10 years, or members with a higher risk tolerance. It uses indexed investments and aims to have lower investment costs thanks to passive strategies.
This option invests more than 80% in growth assets, with more than 60% of your balance invested in Australian and international shares. It's aims to achieve higher returns over the long term, and is designed for members seeking higher long-term growth.
Sector investment options
If you want more control over super, you can put together your own investment mix using one or more of the following individual sector options.
- Australian Shares
- International Shares
- Cash and Term Deposits
- Diversified Bonds
NGS Super default insurance cover
Eligible members will receive the following default insurance cover when joining:
- Death: This cover provides a lump sum payment to your nominated beneficiaries in the event of your death.
- Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD): This cover provides a lump sum payment to you in the event that you become permanently disabled.
- Income Protection: This cover is paid out in the even you can't work and lose your income.
You'll get a default, basic level of cover for the above insurances, however you can apply to increase your level of cover at any time if you think it's the right choice for you. You can also opt out of all insurance cover all together.
How to join NGS Super
You can join online by completing the application form on the NGS Super website. The application form should take you around 10-20 minutes to complete, and you'll need to provide the following bits of information:
- Your full name, date of birth and contact information
- Your Australian residential address
- Your phone number and email address
- Your tax file number (TFN)
- Your chosen investment option (if you want to invest in something other than the Balanced option) and insurance cover
- Details of your existing super fund if you'd like to consolidate your super
Once your application has been completed successfully, you'll receive your membership details by email. You can then give these to your employer so they can start paying your superannuation guarantee payments into your new fund.
More guides on Finder
Finder ReAmped Electricity Switching Service Promotion (“Promotion”)
Read the terms and conditions for Finder's ReAmped Electricity Switching Promotion.
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Ask an Expert