AustralianSuper - Pre-mixed Balanced Super Fund Offer
- 2019 Finder Awards Winner: Best Super Fund - Balanced
- Join and consolidate your super with the easy-to-use mobile app
- Australia's best performing growth fund over 10 years*
What is MySuper?
All Australian employers have a default super fund for employees who don't already have their own super fund, or who don't want to choose a super fund themselves. MySuper is a government initiative to provide simple super products for employers to choose as their default fund for employees. MySuper options have basic features and fee structures allowing members to compare funds easily based on cost, investment performance and insurance.
The idea of MySuper products is that they are low-cost, no-frills options (this means they're simple to understand and compare, without any confusing investment options or hard-to-understand features). MySuper products are offered by existing retail or industry super funds as an investment option alongside their existing investment options.
The features of MySuper
MySuper accounts offer:
- Low fees
- Simple features
- Simple, default insurance options which you can easily opt out of if you wish
- A single diversified investment option, or
- A lifecycle investment option based on your age
MySuper investment options
There are two main investment options offered by MySuper products; a diversified investment portfolio or a lifecycle strategy that invests based on your age.
Lifecycle investment option
With this option, your super is invested according to your age. For example when you're young your super will be invested in more high-risk growth assets like local and international shares, because you have more time to ride out any market volatility. If you're older (for example in your 50s) your super will be invested in more low-risk options like term deposits and bonds.
This is a good set-and-forget investment strategy because it will be adjusted for you as you get older, to make sure it's invested appropriately. This means you won't have to think about your super until you're looking to retire, which is appealing for a lot of people who don't want the stress of managing their super.
Single diversified investment option
This investment option offers one single diversified portfolio. This option doesn't invest in line with your age, but is still managed on your behalf and continually adjusted. A lot of these investment options will allocate about 70% of your super balance to growth assets (higher risk, but higher return assets like shares) and about 30% to defensive assets (like cash products).
Compare MySuper funds
*Past performance data is for the period ending December 2018.
Disclaimer: Performance, fees and insurance data is based on each fund's default MySuper product. Where the performance, fees and insurance data for the MySuper fund vary according to the member's age, results for individuals between 40-49 years of age have been shown. This article is general advice. You should consider your own personal circumstances before deciding if a superannuation product is right for you. Superannuation is a long term investment and past performance is not indicative of future performance.
The pros and cons of MySuper
- Lifecycle investment strategy is a great set-and-forget option.
- MySuper must offer a standard level of life and Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) insurance.
- MySuper is easy understand, and simple to use and manage.
- MySuper should have lower fees than standard retail super funds
- Some critics say MySuper places too much emphasis on low fees and not enough on performance.
- If you want to be very 'hands-on' with your super this option might not be for you
Ask an Expert