Australian Ethical Super | Performance, features and fees
Australian Ethical Super has 7 different investment options are focused on sustainability, clean energy, waste management and recycling, health and responsible banking, while avoiding investments in coal seam gas, weapons and tobacco.
Australian Ethical Super performance and fees
Members will automatically be invested in the Balanced option initially, and will be able to switch investment options at any time after joining the fund.
What are the key features of Australian Ethical Super?
- Ethical investments. All investments by Australian Ethical Super are focused on sustainability, clean energy, waste management and recycling, health and responsible banking. The fund avoids investments in coal seam gas, weapons and tobacco.
- Choose from seven pre-mixed funds. Members can choose from seven ready-made diversified investment options with different levels of risk.
- MySuper product available. The default, low-fee MySuper option is the Balanced fund.
- Automatic insurance cover. You'll receive the default Death and TPD cover when you join the fund, and you can choose increase your cover or opt out at any time.
- Consolidate your super online. You can easily consolidate your existing super balance into your Australian Ethical Super account by completing an online form.
What investment options are available with Australian Ethical Super?
Australian Ethical Super offers members a choice between seven pre-mixed diversified investment funds. Which one you choose will depend on how you want your money invested and also the level of risk you want to take. Although each option invests differently, each option has a focus on ethical investments.
If you don't make a choice, or don't want to choose, you'll be placed in the Balanced option which is Australian Ethical Super's default MySuper product.
|Investment option||Risk level||Target asset allocation|
|Australian Ethical Super Defensive|
This is the lowest-risk investment option, and may best suit members wanting a low risk of capital loss and low volatility. It's designed for members with a short investment timeframe (i.e. close to, or during, retirement).
|Australian Ethical Super Conservative|
This is the second lowest-risk investment option, designed for members wanting to protect their balance with a little bit of growth. Around three quarters of your balance is invested in defensive assets.
|Low to Medium|
|Australian Ethical Super Balanced|
This is the default investment option and is a MySuper-authorised product. It aims for a balance between growth and defensive assets, with around three quarters of your balance invested in growth assets including shares.
|Medium to High|
|Australian Ethical Super Growth|
This option aims to achieve higher returns than the default Balanced option over the long term, however with a bit more risk and volatility in the short term. It has a higher allocation towards shares, and is designed for members with a longer investment timeframe.
|Australian Ethical Super Australian Shares |
This is a high-risk option that invests almost completely in Australian and New Zealand shares (with no more than 20% allocation in New Zealand shares). It doesn't invest in international shares, or any other asset classes other than a very small cash allocation.
|Australian Ethical Super International shares|
This is a high-risk option that invests almost completely in international shares. It doesn't invest in Australian or New Zealand shares, or any other asset classes (it does have a very small cash allocation).
|Australian Ethical Super High Growth |
This is a high-risk option that invests in Australian shares, international shares, property and alternatives to provide long term growth.
What insurance cover is available with Australian Ethical Super?
You will automatically receive Default Cover which is made up of Death and TPD Cover as a member of Australian Ethical Super when you join the fund and you meet certain eligibility conditions.
- Death Cover: This provides a lump sum payment if you die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- TPD cover: This cover provides a lump sum payment if you become disabled and are unable to work.
You won't be required to complete medical forms or to have medical examinations to receive Default Cover, however you will be subject to new events cover limitations.
To be eligible for Default Cover, you will need to meet all of the following eligibility conditions:
- you are a member of Australian Ethical Super; and
- you are receiving cover for the first time with us and you have not previously cancelled cover in your Australian Ethical Super account; and
- you are aged 25 or over and under 65; and
- you have had an account balance of at least $6,000; and
- your account is not inactive, where inactive means that you have not received any contributions or rollovers into your account for at least 16 months or more whilst you are a member.
If you're aged between 15 and 24, or you are aged under 65 with an account balance of less than $6,000, you can opt-in to receive Default Cover.
Insurance premiums are deducted from your super account monthly and will vary based on the amount of cover you have under the Default Cover scale, your age, sex at birth, and occupation category. You can choose to increase or decrease your level of Default Cover or you can also cancel insurance all together at any time.
How do I join Australian Ethical Super?
You can become a member of Australian Ethical Super by filling out the online application form on its site. The process will only take about 15-20 minutes to complete if you have a few things on hand before you begin.
You'll need to provide:
- Your full name, date of birth and gender
- Your Australian residential address
- Your phone number and email address
- Your tax file number (TFN)
- Your chosen investment option and insurance cover
- Details of your current super fund (if you have one that you want to roll over into your new fund)
Once this is done and Australian Ethical Super has successfully verified your identity online, you'll be sent the details of your new account. If you'd like your employer to make your compulsory super payments into this fund, make sure to give your employer your Australian Ethical Super account details.
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.
Ask an Expert