SGIO Motorcycle Insurance
Whether you ride a loud cruiser or a plucky scooter, motorcycle insurance is a must for keeping your two wheels on the road.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Motorcycles and scooters can give you more road, but also more risk. A small fender bender can easily result in damage, loss or injury, which is why insurance is a no-brainer. SGIO has been insuring Australians for almost a century and offers a range of policy options for the everyday rider. But what’s included in these policies? Are there any additional cover options? What are the exclusions? Read on for our full guide to SGIO motorcycle insurance.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the SGIO website or compare other motorcycle insurance cover with finder.
What are the cover options?
- Third party property. Protect yourself from legal liability in an accident or a crash with an at-fault driver. On top of legal liability cover, this policy also provides cover for towing costs and the cost of a temporary replacement for your motorcycle.
- Veteran, vintage and classic. Riding something with a bit more history or value? SGIO’s veteran, vintage and classic insurance offers a range of cover benefits, such as emergency repairs and cover for loss or damage to your vehicle or personal items. It’s sensible cover without the premiums of a comprehensive policy.
- Comprehensive. Total and complete protection for whatever might meet you on the road. With comprehensive cover, you get all the benefits of third party property cover, as well as additional extras, such as replacement of keys and locks, emergency repairs, personal item cover and even a replacement vehicle.
What does each policy cover?
|Third party property damage||Veteran, vintage and classic||Comprehensive|
|Crash with at-fault driver|
|Loss or damage to your vehicle|
|Temporary replacement cover|
|Keys, locks and barrels|
|New replacement vehicle|
|Tools of trade|
What additional cover options are there?
- Hire car. If an incident means that you need to hire a car for alternative transportation, this optional extra will cover the cost of a hire car up to $65 per day until you motorcycle is repaired and/or recovered, or the claim is paid as a total loss. Any excess or security bond you pay under a hire car agreement will also be covered up to a total of $2,000.
What are the exclusions?
Each policy has specific exclusions that should be explained to you before you take out any cover. However, there are some general exclusions that apply to all types of cover. Your claim could be rejected if the loss, damage or injury is due to:
- An unlicensed, intoxicated or otherwise impaired rider.
- The illegal use of your motorcycle.
- Racing or other motorsports.
- An intentional act by your or someone on your behalf.
- Failing to maintain or secure your motorcycle.
- Previous damage, faulty repairs or design.
- Deterioration, rust or wear and tear.
- Lawful seizure.
What about the excess?
An excess is a small amount of the total cost of a claim that you must pay, with lion’s share being paid by the insurance company. For each claim you make, you will pay an excess. The amount you pay will depend on the type of claim you are making and your level of cover.
How do I make a claim?
If you’re involved in an incident, there are a few things you need to do. After contacting any emergency services and taking precautions to avoid further loss, damage or injury, collect the registration, licence and contact details of anyone else involved, and retain any documents or reports. Then contact SGIO as soon as possible on 133 233 to lodge your claim and access any benefits that you may be entitled to (towing, emergency repairs, etc).
More guides on Finder
Third party motorcycle insurance
Your guide to getting third party motorcycle insurance.
Dirt bike insurance
Your guide to getting insurance for your dirt bike.
Budget Direct Motorcycle Insurance
Budget Direct provides cheap motorcycle insurance options for Australians.
Motorcycle insurance Victoria
VIC riders have plenty of motorcycle insurance options to fit their riding style and to protect them from theft, property damage, natural disasters and more.
Third party fire and theft motorcycle insurance
Read on to see if Third Party Fire & Theft Motorcycle Insurance is right for you.
Veteran, vintage and classic motorcycle insurance
Your guide to protecting your vintage, veteran or classic motorcycle.
Motorcycle Insurance QLD
If you're living in the Sunshine State, you're exposed to unique risks that only a Queenslander could understand. Discover how to find the right motorcycle insurance for you in QLD with this handy guide.
Best motorcycle insurance Australia
Want to know what to look for in order to find the best motorcycle insurance policy for you? Read on.
Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
Guide to comprehensive motorcycle insurance with Australian brands.
Ask an Expert