Whether it's your first policy or you're looking to switch, there are plenty of motorcycle insurance options out there if you live in South Australia.
You can choose from three cover options - comprehensive motorcycle insurance, third party fire & theft motorcycle insurance or third party property only motorcycle insurance - with a range of insurers. Find out below who you can get cover with and what option is best for you.
Compare motorcycle insurance policies in South Australia
What motorcycle insurance options are available in South Australia?
There are three types of motorcycle insurance available in SA: comprehensive insurance, third party fire and theft, and third party property damage. Here you can find the three main motorcycle insurance cover options by Youi, an overview of what each policy covers and a helpful breakdown of their main features.
|Third party fire and theft
|Third party property damage
|Damage to other people's property
|Damage to your own motorcycle when involved in a no-fault accident with uninsured motorist
|Damage to your motorcycle by fire and theft
|Damage to your motorcycle in an accident/collision
|Damage to your motorcycle by vandalism, storm, hail, flood, earthquake
Best motorcycle insurance for South Australians
Motorcycle insurance is mandatory in South Australia. However, you only need to have the most basic policy - Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. This is to cover you for medical costs and compensation if you get in an accident and injure someone else.
While this may be fine for some - for instance, if you are barely out on the road - motorcycling is more dangerous than driving a car so you probably want to think about a more comprehensive insurance option.
What exclusions and additional costs are there in SA?
If your motorcycle has been modified with custom parts or has had its upkeep neglected, you might be barred from standard cover. On top of this, there are sets of general exclusions that apply in SA, including no cover if:
- Your bike was being used illegally, such as in street racing or burnouts
- Your bike was being ridden by someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- You ride your bike while unlicensed
- Your bike was carrying more passengers than permitted by law
Finally, motorcycle insurers in the SA attract stamp duty at a rate of 11% of the insurance premium. While it's usually up to the insurer to pay this duty, sometimes the additional cost is passed on to you.
Still unsure if you need motorcycle insurance?
If you are still not convinced you need motorcycle insurance, consider the ways in which insurance can be a lifesaver. Whether you're winding your way through a Sunday crowd in the City of Churches or cruising along the Southern Ocean Drive, tragedy can strike in a hundred different ways, and it pays to be prepared:
- It protects you against essential risks. Fire, theft, collision, vandalism, third party liability and more – motorcycle insurance can come through in many circumstances beyond your direct control.
- You can get cover for a wide range of motorcycles. From tiny road bikes to thundering two-wheeled gods of the road, there's a policy for you.
- You can customise your level of cover. Only pay for what you use! If you only break out your bike for the occasional music festival or bush doof, you probably don't need as much cover as someone who hits traffic every day on the way to work.
- It'll give you peace of mind. How well could your finances handle having to buy a whole new bike after some idiot plowed into it in the parking lot and scarpered? What would you do if someone stole it from right outside the coffee shop? It's not worth risking thousands of dollars and constant worry – insurance can save you both.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
GIO Motorcycle Insurance Review
GIO’s comprehensive policy covers the basics, plus a few extras. It’s missing some common perks covered by other brands though, including key replacement.
Road rage statistics Australia
It turns out Australians are very angry drivers – but which drivers are the worst?
Tesla insurance costs
Teslas are more expensive to insure than traditional cars but there's ways to cut costs.
Mobile phone use while driving statistics – Australia
Drivers who text are 10 times more likely to crash yet a large number of Australians still do it.
Car registration Victoria
Find out how to get your car registration transferred in Victoria.
RAC Roadside Assistance Review
Find out if RAC Roadside Assistance is the right option for you.
RAA Roadside Assistance Review
Find out what RAA Roadside Assistance covers you for and how much it costs.
RACQ Roadside Assistance Review
RACQ offers strong benefits and service, but drivers can expect to pay higher premiums and a joining fee.
Allianz vs AAMI car insurance
Allianz vs AAMI – compare policies side by side and see who has what matters to you.
Learner driver insurance
Complete guide to getting car insurance for learner drivers in Australia.
Ask an Expert