Wanting to get involved in Movember this year? Find out what you can do.
In 2003, a couple of mates from Melbourne, Travis Garone and Luke Slattery, talked 30 blokes into growing moustaches to help raise money for prostate cancer research. The idea was so successful, they created a website and Movember was born, the annual campaign to grow and groom a moustache during November and raise funds for men’s health.
Prostate cancer is the sixth leading cause of cancer deaths in the world and accounts for around 15% of all cancers in males, and yet relatively little is known about it. What is known is that it can be cured if detected in time, which is why Movember is so important for raising awareness and saving lives.
While prostate cancer only occurs in men, everyone can help to combat it. Men, women and children from all walks of life are encouraged to participate in Movember and there are three main ways to get involved:
- Grow a Mo. Men are invited to sign up and grow and groom the best moustache they can muster over the 30 days of Movember. During that time you’re encouraged to put the word out to friends, colleagues and workmates to sponsor you by making donations. Find out more.
- Take the Move challenge. Everyone’s invited to get physically active during Movember. Run a race, learn to swim, hold a tournament or challenge your friends and raise money by getting everyone to dig deep and support you. Find out more.
- Host an event. Get creative and have a good time for a good cause. Whether it’s a golf tournament, a dinner party, a BBQ or a trivia night, get local businesses, your sports team or your school, church, pub or club involved, and get together in Movember to raise funds for men’s health. Find out more.
The following tips can help you grow the perfect mo:
- Growing. Choose your mo style from the Movember Mo Style Guide at, then get growing. Try and ignore the initial itching, which will pass, and as your mo begins to grow, shape it using traditional styling techniques.
- Grooming. Approach sticky, slimy or flaky foods with caution. Keep your mo clean by shampooing it regularly with a dollop of conditioner and cleaning under it to prevent drying and itching.
- Styling. Dampen your mo to trim and use a fine-toothed comb to keep the hairs running in one direction. Run clippers over it periodically for a consistent level of bush and bounce and foam up and run a sharp razor along the outer edge to keep it neat.
Since its early days as an idea conceived over a drink at a bar, the Movember Foundation has grown to become a worldwide charity that makes a real difference. Today, it focuses its funding on three core areas, which are three of the biggest health issues facing men:
- Prostate cancer. One of the most commonly diagnosed cancers in Australian men.
- Testicular cancer. The second most common cancer affecting men aged 18 to 39.
- Mental health and suicide prevention. A man dies every minute from suicide somewhere in the world.
The Movember Foundation is the only global charity focused entirely on men’s health. It raises funds to support research and programs that allow men to live happier, healthier and longer lives. Since 2003, the Foundation has raised more than $710 million and helped to fund more than 1,000 men’s health programs in 21 different countries.
The Foundation’s Global Action Plan (GAP) brings clinicians and researchers around the world together to help accelerate health outcomes for men living with prostate and testicular cancer. Some of the initiatives the Movember Foundation is involved in include:
- TrueNTH. A care intervention program that helps men living with prostate cancer access care and support that will enhance their quality of life.
- Prostate cancer outcomes initiatives. Improving health outcomes for men with prostate cancer by focusing on variations in care and engaging clinicians and researchers in 14 different countries.
- Country-specific and local programs. A range of diverse programs aiming to ensure that global knowledge is shared on a local level.
- Research investment. Ongoing investment in biomedical and clinical research into prostate and testicular cancer.
- Movember & Co. An authentic men’s barber shop in California specialising in cuts, coffee and conversations, where men can hang out and talk about the issues that matter to them.
The Movember Foundation continues to move from strength to strength, and it’s all because of people like you. So whether you grow a mo, become an active mo-fo or throw a momentous event, get involved this Movember and help to make a real difference for men’s health around the world.