19 ways to earn Velocity frequent flyer points
Tips and tricks to maximise how many Velocity Points you can earn on everyday purchases and travel.
As well as collecting points when you fly with Virgin Australia or a partner airline, the Velocity Frequent Flyer program has a range of partners that allow you to earn points for all kinds of everyday spending.
From credit cards to hotel bookings and supermarket shopping, let's take a look at all the different ways you can earn Velocity Points and get rewarded faster.
1. Flights with Virgin Australia or its partners
Earn points for every mile you travel with Virgin Australia and its airline partners. How many points you can earn depends on your flight, fare class, the airline and whether you're a Velocity status member.
2. Spend with a Velocity credit card
With over 40 Velocity Frequent Flyer credit and charge cards available from many major banks and financial institutions, earning points through every spending is more convenient than ever. You can choose from a Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card that directly earns points or a credit card rewards program that is partnered with Velocity, giving you the opportunity to exchange your reward points for Velocity Points if you wish.
Credit cards that earn Velocity Points
3. Get the My 7-Eleven app
You'll get 250 bonus Velocity Points on your first eligible 7-Eleven purchase when you download the My 7-Eleven app and link your Velocity Frequent Flyer account. Then when you scan the My 7-Eleven app before you pay, you'll earn between 1 and 2 Velocity Points per litre on fuel and 2 points per $1 on eligible in-store purchases at 7-Eleven.
4. Book accommodation with Velocity partners
Book a hotel through Virgin Australia and you'll earn 3 Velocity Points per $1 spent. You can also earn up to 3 points per $1 on bookings made directly with hotel partners, including:
- Choice Hotels, including Comfort Inn and Quality Inn brands
- Crown Hotels
- IHG Hotels and Resorts
- TFE Hotels, including Vibe Hotels
5. Shop at Coles and with Flybuys partners
If you earn Flybuys points at Coles, Coles Express and other partnered retailers (including Liquorland, Kmart and Target), you can exchange them for Velocity Points. You can transfer your Flybuys in increments of 2,000 for 1,000 Velocity Points, giving you an earn rate of 0.5 Velocity Points per dollar spent with Flybuys partners. Check out our guide to earning Velocity Points with Coles and Flybuys for more information.
6. Shop using BNPL solution bundll
Be rewarded for being responsible with your BNPL (buy now pay later) shopping. Earn 1 Velocity Point for every $5 you pay off on your bundll account. You can even "double dip" on flights. Simply pay for Virgin Australia flights with your bundll MasterCard and not only will you earn Velocity Points on the flight you'll also earn points when you pay it off.
7. Hire a car
You can earn between 3 and 6 points per $1 on car hire in Australia with one of Velocity's car hire partners:
- Dollar Car Hire
The amount of points you earn is based on your Velocity membership status, with platinum frequent flyers earning the highest rate. Overseas, you'll earn a flat rate of points with car hire partners, based on your membership status level.
- Red. 800 points per rental.
- Silver. 1,200 points per rental.
- Gold. 1,400 points per rental.
- Platinum. 1,600 points per rental.
8. Get travel insurance
Travel with peace of mind when you purchase Cover-More travel insurance at the Velocity co-branded portal, as well as earning 3 points per $1 spent. Silver, Gold and Platinum members earn 50%, 75% and 100% bonus points respectively in addition to the regular earn rate.
9. Go on a cruise
Sail away and earn 3 points per $1 spent when you book a cruise through Cruisepilot.
10. Fly with your pet
You can earn a minimum of 300 points when your book a flight with Virgin Australia for your pet. You earn more points the higher your status.
|Number of pet carriers||Red||Silver||Gold||Platinum|
|1||300 points||450 points||525 points||600 points|
|2 (maximum)||600 points||900 points||1,050 points||1,200 points|
11. Earn Velocity Points with Medibank Pet Insurance
Sign up for an eligible pet insurance policy with Medibank and you'll get up to 8,000 Velocity Points.
12. Get points for using Flexicar
Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Flexicar bookings when you add your Velocity details to your account.
Park your car with Looking4Parking and earn 3 points per $1 spent. Silver, Gold and Platinum members will earn 50%, 75% and 100% bonus points respectively on top of the standard earn rates.
14. Shop at the Velocity eStore
Shop with some of Australia's favourite brands including Apple, David Jones, THE ICONIC, Booktopia and more via the Velocity eStore to earn Velocity Points. The earn rates vary between retailers, so check out the eStore for more details.
15. Buy through Virgin Wines
Take advantage of exclusive offers and earn 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent through Virgin Wines. Similarly, earn 3 points per $1 spent on a Wine Plan.
16. Virgin Money car insurance
Save 15% on your first year's premium and earn up to 10,000 Velocity Points when you buy Virgin comprehensive car insurance online.
17. Send packages and mail with Sendle
Earn 1 Velocity Point per $1 spent on every parcel delivery with Sendle.
18. Switch to EnergyAustralia
If you switch to EnergyAustralia and are a new customer, you can earn up to 10,000 Velocity Points and receive 2,000 anniversary points per plan each year. Existing EnergyAustralia customers will receive a $100 Virgin Australia Holidays voucher and 2,000 anniversary points per plan each year.
19. Earn Velocity Points as a business
If you're a business owner, you can join Virgin Australia Business Flyer to earn points and take advantage of exclusive perks on your business spending. The program is free to join, with benefits including:
- Savings of up to 6% on eligible Virgin Australia flights
- Up to 20% off international business travel with United Airlines
- Discounted annual membership to the Virgin Australia Lounge
- 2 Velocity Pilot Gold Memberships when you book and complete $2,000 worth of travel in the first 3 months.
Employees can also continue to earn Velocity Points and Status Credits on their business travel.
Other ways to top up and manage your Velocity account
- Buy Velocity Points. If you don't have enough points to redeem your ideal reward, you can purchase more to cover the gap. You can buy up to 250,000 Velocity Points per calendar year in increments of 1,000.
- Family pooling and points transfers. Family pooling allows you to group your points into one account. A family pool can consist of a total of six family members who live at the same address. Only two members can be 18 years or over and up to four members can be 17 years of age and younger. You’ll need to assign one member as the main beneficiary who will hold the points. You can transfer points from your account to the account of an eligible family member, up to 4 times per membership year.
Images and Virgin Australia
More guides on Finder
How much are Virgin Velocity Points worth?
Here's exactly what your Velocity Points are worth in cold hard cash, plus the best ways to spend them.
How to buy Velocity Frequent Flyer Points
Get reward flights faster by purchasing Velocity Points - here's what you need to know.
Earn 35% more Velocity Points with ANZ Rewards in May
A neat way to maximise your Virgin frequent flyer points.
How the family benefits from the Velocity Frequent Flyer program
Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer allows you to take advantage of rewarding benefits for you, your family and pets.
How to earn Velocity Points on hotel stays and accommodation
Learn how to start earning more Velocity Points on your hotel accommodation today.
How to book flights with your Velocity Points
Book flights with your Velocity Points and let your rewards take you around the world. Learn more here.
How to transfer your Velocity Frequent Flyer Points to family members
Velocity allows you to transfer your points to an eligible family member up to four times per membership year. Learn how you can make the most out of transferring your points and family pooling.
Ask an Expert