Tips and tricks to maximise how many Velocity Points you can earn on everyday purchases and travel.
Earning points and claiming rewards is straightforward with Virgin’s Velocity Frequent Flyer program. By linking your credit card with the program, you can earn points through everyday spending. Grocery shopping, buying fuel and even going out to dinner could help you accumulate points.
To ensure you’re not missing out on an opportunity to earn more points we have summarised the ways you can maximise your points and redeem greater rewards.
Earn points when you travel
- Flights. You can earn points for every mile you travel with Virgin Australia and its airline partners. How many points you can earn depends on your flight, fare class, the airline and whether you're a Velocity status member. We've rounded up the maximum possible points you can earn for each of the partnered airlines below:
|Airline||Points you can earn|
|Virgin Australia - Book a flight||5 Points per $1 spent on all eligible domestic fares (plus bonus points for Velocity status members)
Up to 2 Velocity Points per mile for Trans Tasman flights, international short haul flights
Up to 2.5 points per mile on international long haul flights
|Etihad Airways - Book a flight||Up to 4 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|Virgin America||Up to 1.5 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|Virgin Samoa||5 Velocity Points per $1 spent on all eligible domestic fares|
|Delta Air Lines||Up to 2 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|Hawaiian Airlines||Up to 1.5 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|Singapore Airlines||Up to 1.6 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|Silk Air||Up to 1.25 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|Air New Zealand||Up to 2 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|Virgin Atlantic||Up to 2 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
|South African Airways||Up to 1.25 Velocity Points earn rate per mile|
- Accommodation. If you book a hotel through Virgin Australia Holidays, you'll earn 3 Velocity Points per $1 spent. You can also earn the following points with Velocity hotel partners:
- 3 points per $1 spent at most domestic hotel partners
- 2 points per $1 spent at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio
- 2 points per $1 spent at Travelodge
- 1 point per $1 spent at qualia
- 1,000 points per stay at most international hotel partners
- 600 points per stay at selected international hotel partners
- 2 points per US$1 spent at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio
- Up to 35,000 points per stay at Virgin Limited Edition properties
- Car hire. Once you have arrived at your holiday destination you may also want to hire a car. When you make a booking via the Velocity website, you can earn points on rentals with Europcar, Hertz and Thrifty. The number of points you'll earn per $1 will depend on your Velocity status, so we've broken it down by tier below:
You can also earn Velocity Points with Europcar and Hertz when hiring outside of Australia and New Zealand. Depending on your status, you'll earn the following points per rental:
- Red. 800 points per rental.
- Silver. 1,200 points per rental.
- Gold. 1,400 points per rental.
- Platinum. 1,600 points per rental.
See our guide to learn more about earning points on car rentals.
- Travel insurance. Travel with peace of mind when you purchase Cover-More travel insurance at the Velocity co-branded portal, as well as earning 3 points per $1 spent. Silver, Gold and Platinum members earn 50%, 75% and 100% bonus points respectively in addition to the regular earn rate.
- Cruises. Sail away and earn 3 points per $1 spent when you book a cruise through cruise pilot.
- Fly your pet. You can earn a minimum of 300 points when your book a flight with Virgin Australia for your pet.
Back to top
Earn points through everyday spending
- Shopping at Coles and with flybuys partners. If you earn flybuys points at Coles, Coles Express and other partnered retailers (including Liquorland, Kmart and Target), you can exchange them for Velocity Points. You can transfer your flybuys in increments of 2,000 for 870 Velocity Points, giving you an earn rate of 0.43 Velocity Points per dollar spent with flybuys partners. Check out our guide to earning Velocity Points with Coles and flybuys for more information.
How many Velocity Points can I earn at Coles and flybuys partners?
- Fuel. Velocity is partnered with BP, meaning you can earn two Velocity Frequent Flyer Points for every litre, up to 150 litres, of fuel purchased at participating BP fuel service stations. You can also earn two Velocity Points per $1 spent in-store, up to $100, per transaction. Just make sure you swipe your Velocity card at the counter before you pay to earn the points. Learn more about earning points when you fill up the car.
- Car service. You can earn two points per $1 spent on vehicle maintenance, maintenance services and log book services at over 85 Midas Service Centres across Australia.
- Parking. You can use book a Bay to earn 5 Velocity Points per $1 spent when you pre-book a space at Wilson Parking car parks in Australia. If you're a frequent parker, you can apply for a Wilson One card and earn 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent. If you park your car with Looking4Parking, you can also earn 3 points per $1 spent. Silver, Gold and Platinum members will earn 50%, 75% and 100% bonus points respectively on top of the standard earn rates.
- Velocity eStore. You can earn points with some of Australia's favourite brands including Apple, David Jones, THE ICONIC, Booktopia and more via the Velocity eStore. The earn rates vary between retailers, so check out the eStore for more details.
- Dining. Going out for dinner or purchasing one of your favourite Virgin wines will also help you accumulate your points. Book through OpenTable and you could earn 300 points for every honoured booking. If you happen to be in London, you can also earn Velocity Points at the infamous Babylon Restaurant at The Roof Gardens. Located on Kensington High Street in London, you can earn six points per £1 spent up to £1,000 and one point per £1.50 spent thereafter.
- Wine. You can take advantage of exclusive offers and earn three Velocity Points per $1 spent on a case of wine from Laithwaite's Wine People. You can also earn three points per $1 spent on wine through Virgin Wines.
- Virgin Active gym membership. Reward yourself for staying fit with Virgin Active. If you join and visit Virgin Active at least three times a week for the first 12 weeks, you'll receive 10,000 Velocity Points. If you're already a member, you'll receive 250 Velocity Points each time you visit Virgin Active 12 or more times each calendar month.
- Virgin Mobile. You can earn two points per $1 spent on eligible 24 month postpaid mobile phone, mobile SIM or 12 month postpaid mobile broadband plans every month.
- Dentist appointments. If you visit Pacific Smiles Dental, you can earn 500 Velocity Points after your first eligible checkup as a new patient, followed by 250 Velocity Points for each subsequent eligible check up (up to two checkups in a 12 month period).
Earn Velocity Points on financial products
- Credit cards. With over 40 Velocity Frequent Flyer credit and charge cards available from many major banks and financial institutions, earning points through every spending is more convenient than ever. You can choose from a Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card that directly earns points or a credit card rewards program that is partnered with Velocity, giving you the opportunity to exchange your reward points for Velocity Points if you wish.
Credit cards that earn Velocity Points
- Virgin Money life insurance. If you sign up for life insurance or income protection with Virgin Money by 31 March 2018, you'll be rewarded with 25,000 Velocity Points.
- Virgin Money - Reward Me home loan. If you get a home loan with Virgin Money, you'll be rewarded with 10,000 Velocity Points for every $100,000 drawn at settlement and a further 1,000 points every month as you pay down your loan. You'll also receive 30,000 points every three years to reward your loyalty.
- Velocity Global Wallet. The Global Wallet is a reloadable Visa prepaid card which you can use to load your own money and spend in multiple supported currencies. Earn 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent overseas and 1 point per $3 spent in Australia.
- Bupa health insurance. You can earn up to 70,000 Velocity Points for families and couples or up to 27,500 points for singles when you join Bupa selected health insurance covers.
- OnMarket investments. If you invest through OnMarket, you can earn one Velocity Point per $4 invested.
Earn points through program partners
By quoting your Velocity frequent flyer membership to these companies you can continue to rack up points and redeem rewards quicker.
|Provider||Points and description|
|Sendle||Earn 1 Velocity Point per $1 spent on every parcel delivery with Sendle.|
|EnergyAustralia||If you switch to EnergyAustralia and are a new customer, you can earn up to 10,000 Velocity Points and receive 2,000 anniversary points per plan each year. Existing EnergyAustralia customers will receive a $100 Virgin Australia Holidays voucher and 2,000 anniversary points per plan each year.|
|Virgin Money - comprehensive car insurance||Save 25% and earn 5,000 bonus Velocity points when you buy Virgin car insurance price save.|
|onsport.com.au||You can earn 5 points per $1 spent on sports equipment and outdoor products purchased through onsport.com.au.|
Earn Velocity Points as a business
If you're a business owner, you can join Virgin Australia's Accelerate program to earn points and take advantage of exclusive perks on your business spending. The program is free to join and you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Save up to 10% on Virgin Australia flights and receive annual travel credits when you spend $20,000 or more on eligible flights.
- You and your employees will receive a discounted annual membership to the Virgin Australia Lounge as well as two Velocity Gold Memberships when you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- You'll also receive exclusive offers throughout the year and can take advantage of a dedicated account management team to maximise your points.
If they're already Velocity Frequent Flyers, employees can also continue to earn Velocity Points and Status Credits on their business travel.
If you purchase business reports through IBIS World, you can also earn between 1,540 points and 5,445 points depending on which report you buy.
Other ways to top up and manage your Velocity account
- How to buy Velocity Points. If you don't have enough points to redeem your ideal reward, you can purchase up to 50% of your Velocity Points. You can purchase up to 50,000 points in blocks of 500. You can check the points booster price table on the Velocity website, but to give you an idea, 500 points costs $18 and 50,000 points costs $1,172. You can purchase Velocity Points twice each calendar year.
- Family pooling. Family pooling allows you to group your points into the one account, more points equals greater rewards. A family pool can consist of a total of six family members who live at the same address. Only two members can be 18 years or over and up to four members can be 17 years of age and younger. You’ll need to assign one member as the main beneficiary who will hold the points. Learn more about family pooling with Velocity.
- Points transfers. You can transfer points from your account to the account of an eligible family member, up to four times per membership year.
Now that you know how you to accumulate Velocity points, you’re a step closer to redeeming your rewards. As there are many rewards options available, it’s essential to compare what’s on offer to ensure that your points are giving you the greatest possible return.
Images and Virgin Australia