Home buying checklist
Keep track of your property search with our downloadable home buying checklist.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
There's a lot to keep in mind when buying a property. During your search you'll likely look at a variety of different homes, and it can be tough to keep straight in your head which properties made what impression. That's why we've created a home buying checklist.
You can print copies of the checklist from the link below, and take it with you to inspections.
- Do you have a sufficient deposit saved?
- Have you researched suburbs and properties?
- Have you budgeted for repayments, including a buffer in case interest rates should rise?
- Have you compared home loan products and providers?
- Have you gotten home loan pre-approval?
- Is it close to infrastructure such as train stations or bus stops?
- Is it close to hospitals and schools?
- Is the neighbourhood safe?
- Is it reasonably quiet?
- Is it flood or bushfire prone?
- What are the local council regulations around renovations or extensions?
- Is the exterior of the house in good condition, free from cracks or defects?
- Is the roof in good condition?
- Are the windows and doors in good condition?
- Are the gutters and downpipes in good condition?
- Is the property connected to electricity and sewer?
- Does the land provide sufficient space for additions?
- Is the property fenced, and is the fencing in good condition?
- Are the walls in good condition, free from holes or cracks?
- Is there any sign of mould or damp?
- Are the floors level and undamaged?
- Are there sufficient power points?
- Is all plumbing in good working order?
- What appliances and furnishings are included in the contract, and are they in working order?
- Are there telephone, cable and/or Internet connections?
Contract and title
- Is the title free from encumbrances?
- Does the contract contain any special conditions?
- Does the vendor accept a deposit bond?
- What happens in the case of a delayed settlement?
Need more help? Check out these helpful guides and videos
- In-depth home buying guide
- Your guide to first home owners grants
- Stamp duty explained
- Your home buying questions answered
Watch: step-by-step home buying guide
Compare mortgages for first home buyers
After entering your details a mortgage broker from Aussie will call you. They will discuss your situation and help you find a suitable loan.
- A comparison of home loans from multiple lenders.
- Expert guidance through the entire application process.
- Free suburb and property reports.
The Adviser’s number 1 placed mortgage broker 8 years running (2013-2020)
More guides on Finder
Property pounce: A record 67% of Aussies say now is a good time to buy
Optimistic home buying sentiment has reached a pre-pandemic high in Australia according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Best suitcases and luggage in Australia
Here are the 8 best suitcases and luggage you can buy in Australia right now, perfect for any of your travel needs.
Where to buy the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti graphics card in Australia
Looking to upgrade your gaming PC with the latest mid-range graphics card? Then you need the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. Here's where to buy it in Australia.
Holiday homes in Port Macquarie
Find out exactly where to book your Port Macquarie holiday home online.
Best Bluetooth headphones for working out in 2020
Step up your fitness routine with our roundup of the best Bluetooth headphones you can buy in Australia right now.
Home and kitchen appliance insurance can save you thousands if something goes wrong.
Get protection for your high-value electronics and whitegoods with home and kitchen appliance insurance.
Where to buy toilet paper for home delivery in Adelaide right now
Toilet paper is flying off shelves in South Australia. Here's where you can still buy it online.
Where to buy the PlayStation 5 in Australia [Updated]
The fifth PlayStation console is set to launch on 12 November. We've rounded up all the places you can buy the PS5 in Australia.
Hire a professional to transform your home with a fresh lick of paint.
Double glazed windows
Increase the energy efficiency of your home with double glazed windows.
Ask an Expert