Home buying checklist
Keep track of your property search with our downloadable home buying checklist.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
There's a lot to keep in mind when buying a property. During your search you'll likely look at a variety of different homes, and it can be tough to keep straight in your head which properties made what impression. That's why we've created a home buying checklist.
You can print copies of the checklist from the link below, and take it with you to inspections.
- Do you have a sufficient deposit saved?
- Have you researched suburbs and properties?
- Have you budgeted for repayments, including a buffer in case interest rates should rise?
- Have you compared home loan products and providers?
- Have you gotten home loan pre-approval?
- Is it close to infrastructure such as train stations or bus stops?
- Is it close to hospitals and schools?
- Is the neighbourhood safe?
- Is it reasonably quiet?
- Is it flood or bushfire prone?
- What are the local council regulations around renovations or extensions?
- Is the exterior of the house in good condition, free from cracks or defects?
- Is the roof in good condition?
- Are the windows and doors in good condition?
- Are the gutters and downpipes in good condition?
- Is the property connected to electricity and sewer?
- Does the land provide sufficient space for additions?
- Is the property fenced, and is the fencing in good condition?
- Are the walls in good condition, free from holes or cracks?
- Is there any sign of mould or damp?
- Are the floors level and undamaged?
- Are there sufficient power points?
- Is all plumbing in good working order?
- What appliances and furnishings are included in the contract, and are they in working order?
- Are there telephone, cable and/or Internet connections?
Contract and title
- Is the title free from encumbrances?
- Does the contract contain any special conditions?
- Does the vendor accept a deposit bond?
- What happens in the case of a delayed settlement?
Need more help? Check out these helpful guides and videos
- In-depth home buying guide
- Your guide to first home owners grants
- Stamp duty explained
- Your home buying questions answered
Watch: step-by-step home buying guide
Compare mortgages for first home buyers
More guides on Finder
9 Great Property apps
We've picked our favourite property apps for buying, renting and sprucing up your living space.
Best home security cameras in Australia
These are the best security camera systems you can get your hands on in Australia.
Holiday homes in Port Macquarie
Find out exactly where to book your Port Macquarie holiday home online.
Home and kitchen appliance insurance can save you thousands if something goes wrong.
Get protection for your high-value electronics and whitegoods with home and kitchen appliance insurance.
Where to buy the PlayStation 5 in Australia [Updated]
The fifth PlayStation console is set to launch on 12 November. We've rounded up all the places you can buy the PS5 in Australia.
Hire a professional to transform your home with a fresh lick of paint.
Double glazed windows
Increase the energy efficiency of your home with double glazed windows.
Holiday homes in Tasmania
Discover the plethora of holiday home options currently available in Tasmania.
Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here's how they compare.
Where to buy a smoke alarm online in Australia
Keep your family and your home protected with a smoke alarm from these online retailers.
Ask an Expert