Finder Awards 2020 Best Rewards Credit Card
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Best Rewards Credit Card
The Amplify Signature cards offered by St.George, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne feature 200,000 bonus points over the first two years. It also offers an uncapped earn rate of 1.5 points per $1 spent, travel & purchase insurance and lounge passes.
Methodology: Best Rewards Credit Card
Here's how our expert analysts assessed the Best Rewards Credit Card category to pick the 2020 winner.
Selection and scoring
Products were selected from the broader market that met these criteria:
- Cards must offer a rewards program but NOT direct Qantas or Virgin points
- Cards must not require loans or specific amounts of savings as eligibility criteria
- Cards must offer gift card choice – points earned at the standard rate on general purchases must be exchangeable for gift cards in more than one retailer at the same rate
Scores were awarded out of 10 for each product metric, based on how each metric compares to the other products in a given category.
Scores for each metric were then weighted:
- Annual fee: L-Mix-8-25%, taking into account discounted first-year fees (15%) and second-year fees (10%) if applicable, but not returned fees with a minimum spend
- Purchase interest rate: 5%
- Points cap: 5%
- Sign-up and minimum-spend bonus points: 20%
- Max international transaction fee: 5%
- Spend required for $100 voucher: 40% based on the points-per-dollar earn rate for the card on regular spending (or the higher earn rate if the card comes in a bundle) and the number of points required to purchase a $100 gift card in the corresponding reward program
Tiebreakers were ranked by the lowest interest rate
Product must be available at the time of award announcement.
Products were analysed and compared to the market on the following dates:
- 1/9/19 (Q1)
- 1/12/19 (Q2)
- 29/2/20 (Q3)
- 32/5/20 (Q4)
Products must have been in the market for at least two of the four quarters, including the most recent quarter.
Quarters were weighted as follows unless otherwise stated (with Q4 being the most recent quarter):
- Q4: 50% of final score
- Q3: 25% of final score
- Q2: 12.5% of final score
- Q1: 12.5% of final score
For products only available in three quarters, the weighting is as follows:
- Q4: 50% of final score
- Q3: 35% of final score
- Q2: 15% of final score
For products only available in two quarters, the weighting is as follows:
- Q4: 60% of final score
- Q3: 40% of final score
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Citi Rewards Card – Exclusive Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this exclusive Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
How to watch the 2020 Dally M Medal live and free
The NRL’s annual awards night will have a very different look in 2020 due to the pandemic.
COVID-19 credit crunch: Two million Australians over their credit card limit
Finder survey shows coronavirus is leaving millions of Australians at risk of credit card delinquency.
Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here's how they compare.
Australia’s greenest banks
Which Australian banks are really doing their bit for the environment? Find out with the Finder Green Awards.
How we picked 2020’s best frequent flyer credit card
Which card scored the Finder Award?
No interest monthly fee credit cards
New no interest monthly fee credit cards, like the NAB StraightUp and CommBank Neo, offer no interest charges, limits up to $3,000 and only charge a monthly fee when you use it. Read more to find out more about how they work in our comprehensive guide.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Provider Awards Winners & Methodology
Winner and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Provider Awards.