Cleaners Insurance

Compare public liability cleaners insurance quotes and get protected in case you damage property or injure someone.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

If you're a cleaning contractor working for yourself or a cleaning business, then you need to consider cleaners insurance. Public liability insurance is the bare minimum you'll need — it's usually mandatory in Australia and can cover damage or injury to others. To protect equipment, you can also get portable equipment insurance.

Compare cleaner insurance quotes

Get quotes online Speak to a broker

Receive a Quote for Business Insurance

If you are ready to speak with a consultant about different business insurance options available, simply enter your details in the form. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the different types of cover available.
FBI Lender Logos

Cleaners insurance quick tips

Insurance requirements

injured person

Public liability insurance

Accidents happen and when you're in and out of people's homes, you're responsible for any damage you cause. For example, public liability insurance can protect you if you break a mirror, knock over a vase or ruin a rug.

  • Required
  • $53


Portable equipment

Professional vacuums, carpet cleaners and and floor polishers aren't cheap. For example, portable equipment cover can pay for a replacement if someone steals equipment from your van or or if your tools break on the job.

  • Required
  • $43

Average cost based on historical costs using our engine. Last checked December 2021

What risks do sole trader cleaners face?

If you are a cleaner operating as a sole trader, you are personally responsible for your business. Every aspect of your business, both legal and financial, is your responsibility and if something goes wrong, the buck stops with you. That means if monies are owed for outstanding debts or to cover fines or legal costs, personal assets such as your home and car could be in the firing line.

What types of business insurance should cleaners consider?

If you are a cleaner working for yourself, there are various types of insurance covers you might want to consider to protect your interests including;

  • Public Liability Insurance – this pays your defence, legal and court costs plus any compensation awarded against you arising from a claim of accidental injury or property damage caused by your business.
  • Business Insurance – this covers your general property such as essential cleaning equipment against theft or damage anywhere in Australia, whether on or off the job.
  • Personal Accident & Illness Insurance – this pays a benefit of up to 85% of your income if you are temporarily unable to work because of an illness or injury.

If you still aren’t sure whether you need cleaners insurance, the following examples may illustrate why it can be very useful to have;

Real life examples

Example 1: A cleaner contracted by a strip mall failed to post a Wet Floor sign after mopping up a spill and an elderly female shopper slipped and broke her ankle, requiring surgery and a lengthy recovery in hospital. The woman was unable to sue the owners of the strip mall, so she lodged a claim against the cleaner for negligence and was awarded $50,000 in damages. Without cleaners insurance, the cleaner was forced to wind up his business and take out a second mortgage on his house to cover the compensation bill.’

Example 2: A sole-trader cleaner contracted by an accountancy firm accidentally spilled a cleaning agent on their boardroom table, causing permanent damage to the blackwood surface. The firm of accountants lodged a claim against the cleaner for the cost of a new table, which because of the rare nature of the timber involved, was around $115,000. Fortunately, the cleaner had Public Liability Insurance, which covered the entire cost, otherwise she would have been personally liable for replacing the table.

Picture: Shutterstock
Icons made by surang, Freepik from is licensed by CC 3.0 BY

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site