255 Articles

Maurice Thach

An insurance researcher and writer for finder.com.au who loves finding an answer to the question "Am I covered for ________?" Maurice has also completed a Tier 1 Life Insurance and a Tier 2 General Insurance Certification under ASIC's Regulatory Guide 146. This means he can confidently provide general advice for life insurance and non-life insurance products.

Recent Activity

Hi Lorraine, Thank you for your comment. You can buy both types of cover in a package. Simply hit the 'Get quotes online' button at the top of the page to choose cover options. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Insurance for Massage Therapists

Generally, an insurer will inform the beneficiaries of those who have passed away. However, if you believe there is money that is unclaimed you can use this tool. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Do you already have life insurance?

Hi Greg, Thanks for your question. Although I can't speak for your specific situation, generally, if you are to use an agent to manage your insurance there is potential for ongoing premiums to be paid as percentage of premium. So if a premium is to increase, there's a chance the commission increases as well. Get in touch with your adviser or agent who may be able to disclose their commission structure with you. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Income Protection Insurance Finder™

Hi Gavin, Thanks for your question - this might vary based on a few factors like you're lifestyle and nature of occupation. To get an estimate however, try this page. Simply click on the 'Get prices online' button. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on How Much Does Income Protection Cost?

Hi Paul, Thanks for your question. When it comes to a TPD insurance policy inside super, generally you'll only be able to receive a payout if you are considered unable to work in 'any job suited to your training, education or experience'. Whether or not you meet this criteria will depend on your superfund and the insurer. I'd recommend getting in touch with Australian Super to make a claim and find out what you are covered for as soon as possible. You may also find this page useful I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on TPD Definitions

Hi Robert, This will depend on the insurer themselves and the specific circumstances around your condition. You might be find this page useful. Best, Maurice

Commented on Trauma insurance and Parkinson’s disease

Hi Kevin, Thanks for your question. By the sound of it you have a TPD insurance policy inside super. Typically, this means a TPD benefit is not paid out to people who the insurer feels can still get gainful employment for which they are reasonably qualified by education, training or experience. If you feel like you're situation was not fairly assessed then it could be worth seeking legal representation - which is what you have done. Some things you can also do include:

  1. Checking the policy wording
  2. Get medical evidence that's consistent with your policies TPD definition
  3. Get your work history together
In terms of claiming on two insurance policies that will depend on your arrangement with the superfund. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on TPD Definitions

Hi Joanne, Thanks for your question. There could be a variety of factors as to why you won't get all your premiums back e.g. the specific terms between your insurer and you (the policyholder). Generally however, it seems as though Surrender Value won't pay out the full value of what's been invested. I found a clause in an Australian whole of life policy which states: "The full value of your sum insured and bonuses are only payable in full when the sum insured becomes payable, usually on death or maturity. Therefore, the surrender value of a policy will generally be less than the amount you would receive upon death of the insured or when the policy matures." Similarly, in Westpac's PDS they state: "This is not a savings plan. But the policy may have a surrender or cash value if it has been in force for at least 3 years. In this event you are entitled to a payment if you end the policy; but you are not entitled to share in any profit or surplus." For more clarity, continue getting in touch with your insurer or even speak to a financial adviser. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Whole Life Insurance

Hi Kris, TPD insurance inside super generally covers disabilities where you can't return to any occupation suited to your training or education - so there could be some limitations on returning to employment if it's in the same field. To be sure - clarify with Hostplus. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on TPD Definitions

Hi Geoff, Thanks for getting in touch. I had a quick look and there doesn't seem to be any brokers who specifically do Drone insurance in Victoria. You can get in touch with an Australian-wide broker over the phone using the form on this page. Alternatively checkout this page - it's a general directory of insurance brokers in Victoria but nothing drone specific. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Drone Insurance Guide

Hi Yue, It's a general practice for trauma insurance policies to have an expiry age. You may be able to find a policy with a higher expiry age by speaking to a an adviser here: https://www.finder.com.au/life-insurance/trauma-insurance I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on What’s the cost of trauma insurance?

Hi Aloka, While it's not compulsory to purchase rental vehicle excess insurance from a car rental company (if you already have cover with your credit card) you might need to purchase damage insurance from the rental car company. Car rental excess insurance included in your credit card covers the excess payable on damage insurance. It's a good idea to clarify with your rental company what type of insurance you are buying from them. According to the product disclosure statement (PDS) of ANZ, the maximum amount you are covered for is $2,400 in rental excess cover. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Credit Card Feature: Car Rental Insurance Cover

Hi Alfredo, Clearview does not state any specific exclusion for accidental deaths that occur due to lightning. However, it should be noted that there is general exclusion for "intentional self-inflicted acts" within the first 13 months of: -When cover starts -When your cover amount increases -When your cover is reinstated I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Clearview Life Insurance

Hi Robyn, You've come to finder.com.au. We are a comparison service, not an insurer. To get a business insurance quote, fill out your details into the form on the page. You can select 'Agriculture, forestry and fishing as your industry'. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Machinery insurance

Hi Ray, Credit cards won't usually include any income protection insurance. If you would like to compare income protection insurance you can do so here: For redundancy cover, check out this page. I hope this helps, Maurice

Commented on Meet the finder.com.au Team

Ask a question
Go to site