Virgin’s latest deal lets you earn up to 50,000 Velocity Points
Increase your points balance when you refer friends or family to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program this month.
Velocity is bringing out the big guns to target new sign ups with its latest bonus points promotion. If you’re an existing Velocity member, you can simultaneously ramp up your balance by 50,000 points and help your friends and family rack up rewards in the air and on the ground when you invite them to join the program.
Existing Velocity frequent flyers should have received an email with a unique offer regarding the promotion. Under the promotion, Velocity members can refer up to 10 new members and receive 5,000 points per referral. So if you meet the maximum target and refer 10 friends or family, you can pick up a total of 50,000 bonus points.
What are the catches? The member needs to sign up by 30 May 2016, and they must earn points by 30 June 2016 (and have those points credited to their account by 30 September). Once all those things have happened, you'll get the bonus points, though Velocity is covering its bases and saying the transfer could take up to 10 weeks.
The trickiest element of this promotion is getting the new member to earn points. If your friend or family member doesn't have a flight with Virgin or one of its partners booked before 30 June, some of the other ways they could rack up points to ensure you’re eligible for the bonus points include:
- Velocity Frequent Flyer credit cards. If your friend or relative is looking to earn Velocity Points on everyday purchases, a Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card could be a an option.
- BP fuel stations. Whether they’re filling up their car or picking up a packet of gum at the checkout, swiping your Velocity card at BP fuel stations is an easy way to pick up points on an everyday expense.
- Velocity eStore. From the latest tech gadgets and fashion to homewares and fitness equipment, your referred family or friend has plenty of options when it comes to purchasing products on the Velocity e-Store to pick up points.
- Hotel partners. If you have a holiday booked but you’re flying with another airline, you can still earn Velocity Points on your trip by staying with at a Velocity partnered hotel. Whether you’re travelling in Australia or internationally, you can earn Velocity Points with a variety of accommodation options including Choice, Hilton and Intercontinental hotels.
- OpenTable. Your friend or relative can rack up points on their next meal when booking restaurant reservations through OpenTable. With the option to earn 300 Velocity Points when you book online and dine with your choice of 32,000+ restaurants around the world.
If your friend or family member follows the terms and conditions, you're not strapped for choice when it comes to redeeming your bonus 50,000 Velocity Points. Some of your options include:
|Reward||Points value||AUD RRP|
|Sydney to Los Angeles (one way, Economy)||47,000||$591.37 (Book Saver price)|
|Melbourne to Brisbane (return, Business)||21,800 (each way)||$1,920.00|
|Apple iPod nano 16GB||33,500||$218.00|
|Woolworths Supermarket $100 Gift Card||18,000||$100.00|
|Virgin Lounge single entry pass||10,000||$65.00|
As well as earning bonus points when they first sign up, you can increase your value with Velocity through family transfers and pooling options down the track. Allowing you to pool your family members’ Points or Status Credits into one account can help you accumulate more points and redeem greater rewards. Plus, if you or a family member is short of points, you can transfer points between your accounts to bolster up your balance. Learn more about how Velocity family transfers and poolings work here.