Velocity Membership Status Tiers
Discover the benefits you can get with a higher Velocity membership status.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Velocity membership offers a variety of perks that vary depending on your status. Here, we look at how Velocity membership status works, the different levels and benefits available and what you need to do to progress to a higher tier in the program. We also outline other key considerations so that you can get the most out of your Velocity frequent flyer membership.
What are Velocity’s membership levels?
Velocity Frequent Flyer membership levels are used to determine your status and benefits. As you reach higher membership status, you earn more points for flights and other activities. You’ll also gain access to an increasing number of benefits with Virgin Australia and other Velocity partners. Unlike some other frequent flyer programs, this includes the ability to use points to upgrade international long-haul flights, which you can only do as a Gold or Platinum Velocity member.
Membership status is determined by the number of Eligible Sectors you fly in, the Status Credits you earn from flights and your spending at Coles or other Flybuys partners. To maintain a higher status, you need to earn a specific number of Status Credits and fly in a set number of Eligible Sectors within a 12-month period.
There are four different membership levels:
Red Velocity status
This is the entry level and you don’t need to earn Status Credits or take Eligible Sector flights to maintain Red status. As a Red Velocity member, you’ll earn the base rate of points for flights and other partner activity. You also gain access to the following benefits:
- Seating preferences. The ability to store your seating preferences for automatic allocation on eligible flights.
- Advance seating. The opportunity to select a seat at the time of your booking, after booking or at check-in.
- Domestic and international short-haul flight upgrades with points. Velocity Red members can use points for upgrades on domestic or international short-haul flights with Virgin Australia or Virgin Samoa.
- Premium Valet service. Both Brisbane and Melbourne airports offer Velocity members access to Premium Valet services for a fee.
- Family pooling. If you have family members that are also part of Velocity, you can choose to pool points as well as Status Credits in one account to help redeem rewards or reach a higher membership level faster.
- Membership card and Global Wallet. As a Velocity member, you can get a membership card that also doubles as a prepaid multi-currency Visa debit card. Known as the Velocity Global Wallet, this card allows you to load and spend money in up to 11 currencies, and also earns Velocity points per dollar spent.
- Member-only promotions. Velocity Red members get access to exclusive deals and sales with Virgin Australia and other program partners.
Silver Velocity status
This is the first of Velocity’s premium membership levels. In addition to all the benefits that Red members get, Silver Velocity members can enjoy the following perks.
- Bonus points. Enjoy 50% more points on flights with Virgin Australia, selected partner airlines and other travel partners such as Hertz, Europcar and Thrifty.
- Priority phone service. This benefit allows you to skip the queue when you need to make an enquiry or manage your bookings via the phone.
- Priority waitlist. If you’re waitlisted for an upcoming Virgin Australia marketed and operated flight, you’ll receive priority over Red members (subject to availability).
- International priority check-in. As a Silver Velocity member, you can enjoy priority check-in when travelling internationally with Virgin Australia.
- Virgin Australia lounge benefits. Enjoy two single-entry passes to the Virgin Australia lounge (pre-loaded on your membership card), plus discounted annual lounge membership.
- Complimentary baggage allowance. Receive a complimentary checked baggage allowance when travelling with Virgin Australia and selected international airline partners.
- Status benefits with international airline partners. As a Silver Velocity member, you can enjoy similar status benefits with Velocity’s international airline partners, including Delta, Etihad Airways and Singapore Airlines.
- Membership Pause for parental leave. You can pause your membership for six months when you’re expecting a new baby or adopting a child. This gives you more time to maintain your Velocity status and points.
- Personalised baggage tags. Receive a complimentary personalised bag tag that identifies you as a Silver Velocity member.
Gold Velocity status
Gold Velocity members have access to Red and Silver status benefits as well as the following premium perks:
- Point bonus. You earn 75% more points than a Red member and 25% more points than Silver members.
- International long-haul flight upgrades with points. While Red and Silver members can use points to upgrade eligible domestic and international short-haul flights, Gold members also have the opportunity to use points for upgrades on Virgin Australia marketed and operated flights to Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi.
- Priority boarding. When travelling with Virgin Australia, you can board at any time using the priority boarding lane or business class lane (whichever is applicable for your flight).
- Lounge premium entry. If you’re travelling with carry-on baggage only, you can access premium entry services at either the Brisbane Lounge or the Sydney Lounge (Sydney Airport Terminal 2). You must present your membership card and a Virgin Australia boarding pass on your date of travel to access either lounge.
- Sydney Premium Valet. You’ll have access to a Premium Valet in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
- Melbourne lounge premium exit. If you’re visiting the Virgin Australia Melbourne lounge before your flight, you’ll be able to fast-track to gates 1-10 by using a premium exit and a dedicated security screening service. You will need to present your valid Velocity Gold membership card and a Virgin Australia boarding pass on your date of travel to access the lounge and enjoy this benefit.
- Priority screening. When travelling domestically, you can access separate security screening lanes at Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock domestic airports during peak times.
- Fly Ahead. If you’re booked on a domestic Virgin Australia fare (except a Getaway fare), you and up to three guests on the same booking can request an earlier flight to your destination. Terms and conditions apply (such as requesting bookings at least 30 minutes prior to the earlier flight’s departure), so make sure you refer to the Velocity website for more details.
- Priority baggage. When travelling with Virgin Australia, your checked baggage will have priority delivery to arrival carousels.
- Complimentary hotel partner membership. You can gain access to an equivalent membership level in hotel reward programs IHG Rewards Club or Hilton Honors. This benefit is only available once and is valid for one year, so you will need to meet the hotel rewards program requirements to retain that level of membership.
- Complimentary car hire partner membership. You can receive an equivalent level of membership for the Europcar Privilege Program or Hertz Gold Plus Rewards. This benefit is only available once and is valid for one year, so you will need to meet the car hire rewards program requirements to retain that level of membership.
- Global lounges. You can receive access to over 150 participating international airline partner lounges. You will need to have a valid ticket and may be required to present your Gold Velocity membership card to gain access to these airport lounges.
- Guaranteed economy reward seats for a family trip. Once a year, you’re guaranteed up to four return Economy Reward Seats to any destination in Australia when travelling with Virgin Australia. To make a guaranteed family booking, call the Membership Contact Centre on 13 18 75 and provide your desired travel details. You must book your flights at least six months in advance and a minimum points redemption applies.
Platinum Velocity status
As the top status tier for Velocity, Platinum offers members all of the benefits of Red, Silver and Gold plus the following exclusive privileges:
- Point bonus. Platinum Velocity membership gives you a 100% point bonus on base rates. That means you get double the points of Red Velocity members, 50% more than Silver members and 25% more than Gold members.
- Complimentary upgrades. Known as the UpgradeMe Platinum Member Offer, this service entitles Platinum members to four complimentary upgrades per year when flying with Virgin Australia on domestic or international short-haul flights. You must be booked on a flexi-fare to take advantage of this offer and can request an upgrade any time after booking by contacting the membership centre. Other terms and conditions may vary based on your flight details.
- Priority economy seat purchase. As a Platinum member, you can purchase up to two economy seats on sold out Virgin Australia marketed and operated flights when purchasing a Freedom fare.
- Companion Gold or Platinum membership. If you earn an additional 500 Status Credits over what’s required to maintain your Platinum status, you will be able to request Gold membership for a companion of your choice. If you earn 1,000 Status Credits above what’s required to maintain your membership, you can gift your companion with Platinum membership status.
How do I get Silver, Gold or Platinum Velocity Status?
Velocity membership tiers are determined by the number of Status Credits you earn in a year and by flying in Eligible Sectors. Status Credits are awarded on the following:
- Eligible flights. Flights with Virgin Australia and its airline partners earn Status Credits based on the fare class, distance and the airline, with amounts ranging from 5-200 per booking. In addition to earning Status Credits on fares you purchase outright, you can earn them on Any Seat redemptions and on fares flown as part of a Virgin Australia Holidays package.
- Flybuys activity. If you’re a member of the Flybuys reward program, you can earn Status Credits for shopping at Coles, Coles Online, Liquorland or First Choice Liquor. To get Status Credits from this activity, you need to link your Flybuys and Velocity accounts, then use your Flybuys card when you’re shopping. You’ll earn 1 Status Credit for every $100 spent on eligible purchases, up to a maximum of 10 Status Credits per month.
- Credit cards. Some credit cards also offer bonus status credits in exchange for meeting minimum spending requirements each year.
In addition to Status Credits, you need to fly in a specific number of Eligible Sectors to reach a higher Velocity status tier. You earn Eligible Sectors based on the number of Virgin Australia marketed flights that you take and pay for with cash (rather than reward points). These are determined at Velocity’s discretion, but basically each paid fare you book with Virgin Australia will earn you Eligible Sectors.
How many Status Credits and Eligible Sectors do I need for Velocity status?
You need a specific number of Status Credits and Eligible Sectors for each Velocity membership level. The current requirements are outlined below:
|Membership level||Status Credits||Eligible Sectors|
Example: Earning Silver Velocity status
If you’re a Red Velocity member and want to earn Silver status, here are some examples of the activity required within a 12-month period to earn Silver status (based on flights taken after 30 January 2017):
- Domestic business flights. Taking five domestic Virgin Australia business class flights from Sydney to Melbourne = 275 Status Credits and 5 Eligible Sectors.
- International and domestic flights. Taking a return premium economy flight from Brisbane to LA plus a one-way economy flight from Brisbane to Sydney = 255 Status Credits and 3 Eligible sectors.
- Flights and shopping. Taking a return economy flight from Melbourne to Perth (90 Status Credits), a one-way business class flight from Melbourne to Sydney (55 Status Credits) and spending $1,000 every month with Flybuys partners that offer Status Credits (120 Status Credits in 12 months) = 265 Status Credits and 3 Eligible Sectors.
Maintaining Velocity status
Silver, Gold and Platinum Velocity membership status is valid for 12 months from the time you first reach that status level. If you want to maintain your status beyond this time, you’ll need to meet the following Status Credits and Eligible Sector requirements within the same 12-month period that you have this level of status.
|Membership level||Status Credits||Eligible Sectors|
While anyone can become a Red Velocity member, you can unlock a world of other privileges when you reach a higher status tier. But consider the costs involved in meeting the Status Credit and Eligible Sector requirements for Silver, Gold and Platinum membership, so you can decide if it’s worth the cost.Back to top
Images: Velocity and Shutterstock.
More guides on Finder
Get 15% bonus when you transfer Flybuys to Velocity
The top offer for maximising Flybuys is back again, here's how to use it.
Earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia flights
Book flights through to August 2021 and earn 10 Velocity Points per $1 spent.
Tigerair officially axed: What this means for you
Farewell cheap flights – but Virgin Australia travel credits are on their way.
The 5 most important changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer explained
Extra Status Credits! More reward flights! More Points Planes! Here's what it all means.
Bain buys Virgin Australia: What does it mean for passengers?
What's happening with travel credits, frequent flyer bookings and routes?
How to meet credit card bonus point spending requirements
With most credit card bonus point offers including a minimum spending requirement, here’s what you need to know to meet it and maximise your rewards.
Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards June 2020
Imagine what you could do with up to 200,000 bonus points on one of these credit cards.
American Express Qantas Corporate Platinum Card
This charge card offers expense management tools and is linked to both Qantas Business Rewards and Membership Rewards.
Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards May 2020
Treat yourself with one of these credit cards offering up to 200,000 bonus points and competitive earn rates for your everyday spending.
Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards April 2020
Reward yourself with a competitive earn rate and up to 100,000 bonus points on one of these credit cards.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert