How to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer program for free
Follow this step-by-step guide to become a Velocity Frequent Flyer member and start earning and redeeming points on your flights and everyday spending.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Information about Velocity PointsDue to Virgin Australia going into voluntary administration, the Velocity Frequent Flyer program has placed a freeze on reward redemptions for an initial period of four weeks, effective from 21 April 2020. We will update this page with more information as it becomes available.
Additionally, there are credit cards linked to the Velocity program that earn points on everyday spending and allow you to earn even more points with program partners. You can redeem accumulated points for flights and flight upgrades, hotel stays, car rental, merchandise, gift cards, fuel and more. This page provides details on how to enrol in the program and what to do as a new member.
How to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer program in 5 steps
There is no fee for becoming a Velocity member and you can sign up any time via the Velocity Frequent Flyer website. Simply click the “Join free now” button on the home page and follow these steps:
- Enter your name and any promo details. Provide your full name as it appears on your passport. If you’ve received a Velocity promo code or a temporary card from a BP service station, you can also enter those details at this stage.
- Fill out your contact details. Provide your home or postal address, contact number and email address. You can also add your business address at this stage.
- Provide security information. This includes your date of birth, new password and a security question.
- Read the terms and conditions and confirm your registration. Tick the box that says “I agree to the Terms & Conditions” to confirm you have read and agree to them, complete the security verification feature, and click “Join Velocity Now”. This confirms your registration and will take you to your account page.
- Verify your email. After registering online, you will be sent an email with all the details of your membership. Check your junk folder if you don’t see it in your inbox, read through the details and follow the prompts to confirm your email address.
What else do new Velocity members need to know?
These are the key details to consider if you’ve just registered as a Velocity Frequent Flyer member:
- Membership number. Once you complete your registration, you will be taken to your Velocity account online and given your membership number. This is the number you need to provide in order to earn Velocity Points on eligible flights with Virgin Australia and its partners.
- Temporary membership card. You will be provided with a temporary membership card that you can download and print so that you’ll have a physical copy of your membership details.
- Membership card. Your membership card will be mailed to you once you have completed the registration.
- Velocity Global Wallet. If eligible, your membership card will double as a Velocity Global Wallet prepaid Visa debit card. The card will include instructions on how to activate it and how to log in to your Velocity Global Wallet online account. This allows you to load and spend money in up to 11 currencies. You’ll also earn Velocity Points per $1 you spend in Australia and overseas.
- Claiming for previous flights. You may make retroactive claims as a new member as long as you completed your flight less than 30 days before membership enrolment. To submit a claim, email your Velocity membership number, a copy of your ticket and boarding pass to email@example.com. If successful, your points will be credited within two and six weeks.
How to link your Velocity membership with partners
Some partners require you to link your Velocity membership in order to earn rewards. This includes Velocity Frequent Flyer credit cards, Flybuys and hotel rewards programs such as Hilton Honors and IHG Rewards Club.
This process varies, but generally includes the following steps:
How to link your Velocity membership with partners
- Log into your account with the relevant Velocity partner. For example, if you had a Virgin High Flyer credit card, you would log in to your Internet banking account for that card.
- Go to your account details section and add your Velocity membership number.
- Save your details and follow any prompts to confirm that you have successfully linked your account.
When signing up for your membership account, remember to provide all relevant details on your application, particularly the correct passport name so you can avoid future issues with claiming points. Refer to our Velocity Frequent Flyer guide for more information on how to earn and redeem points and start making the most of your membership.
Comparison of Velocity Frequent Flyer Credit Cards
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
How to start a home cooking business
Follow this ultimate recipe for how to start your cooking business.
ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
The ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a competitive rewards program, $0 annual fee for the first year, a $500 gift card, a balance transfer offer and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Where to buy the PlayStation 5 in Australia [Updated]
The fifth PlayStation console is set to launch on 12 November. We've rounded up all the places you can buy the PS5 in Australia.
Pizza Capers delivery in Australia
Order high-quality pizza, pasta and salads online for home delivery. Find out which delivery service to use to get the best deal for your money.
Pizza Hut delivery in Australia
Largest pizza chain delivers pizzas to your doorstep. Read on for deals on their lunch pizzas and more.
Get 15% bonus when you transfer Flybuys to Velocity
The top offer for maximising Flybuys is back again, here's how to use it.
Citi Rewards Card
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert