Who else wants to open a superannuation fund or pension account that comes with a variety of investment alternatives?
In 2008, the merger of JUST Super, an industry fund representing workers in the media, entertainment and arts sector with Print Super, an industry fund for workers in the printing, packaging and graphic arts industries, led to the formation of Media Super.
Both, JUST Super and Print Super began operations in 1987.
Media Super was amongst the early super funds that received authorisation to offer a low cost MySuper product in 2013, with the successful approval of its application by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), the industry regulator.
What awards and honours has Media Super earned?
- Heron Partnership Quality Star Ratings for Superannuation Funds, 2012. Media Super awarded five stars for Outstanding Quality.
- SuperRatings, 2015. Media Super Employer Sponsored/MySuper Account, Media Super Personal Account and Media Super Pension Account awarded Gold ratings.
A closer look at Media Super
Media Super is an Industry SuperFund. As with other super funds that are part of the Industry SuperFund family, Media Super does not pay commission to financial advisors, it comes with a history of strong performance and it provides a favourable fee structure.
Media Super gives you the ability to choose from an array of investment alternatives. If you’re not sure which way to go, you can simply invest in the Balanced (MySuper) option.
This super fund diversifies its investments by working with as many as 40 investment managers. While some of these managers work with individual investments in single asset classes, some others work with separate investments in multiple sectors or multiple investments in the same asset class.
The sectors it invests in include:
- Alternative assets
- Fixed interest
Is online banking easy with Media Super?
Media Super automatically registers you for its online service when you join. You receive a personal identification number (PIN) via mail. Using the online system you can review details of payments and your account balance, updated personal details and details of nominated beneficiaries, make choices between investment options, combine super accounts and download your digital member card.
You can download the Media Super member card to the digital wallet on your smartphone. This gives you round-the-clock access to a variety of super related information.Back to top
What super funds are offered by Media Super?
When you open a Media Super superannuation account you get to choose from different investment options. While you can choose from four pre-mixed options, you also get to choose from six asset-specific investment options, which include a socially responsible alternative.
- Balanced. This is Media Super's approved MySuper product. If you hold your investments in the balanced option, Media Super considers the investments to be in a MySuper product. This option is ideal for individuals who have an investment horizon of five to 10 years, hoping to achieve moderate returns in the long-term through investments in different assets types. This would include higher exposure to growth assets. This option comes with a medium to high risk label.
- High growth. This option is best suited for individuals who have an investment time horizon of more than 10 years. While 98% of the money goes towards growth assets such as shares, 2% goes towards defensive assets. This can come with high volatility levels. The risk label is high.
- Growth. This option sees a 79.5% allocation to growth assets, and is ideal for individuals who are looking at investments terms of 10 years or more. The risk label is high.
- Moderate growth. The moderate growth option invests your money in defensive assets across multiple asset classes. It is ideal for individuals who can tolerate a low to moderate level of risk over a period of five to 10 years. The risk label is medium.
- Stable. With a low risk label, this option aims to generate steady returns by investing 68% in defensive assets. Consider going this way if you wish to invest for five or more years and don’t mind lower returns as long as there’s a lower volatility level.
- Other options. Media Super lets you invest your super in single asset class such as Australian shares, passive Australian shares, overseas shares, passive international shares, hedged international shares, emerging markets shares, sustainable future shares, property, global listed property, global listed infrastructure, global natural resources, fixed interest and cash. You can also make direct investments in ASX300-listed companies, exchange traded funds and term deposits.
What pension accounts are offered by Media Super?
Media Super lets you choose from different pension accounts as per your needs.
- Primary options. You can choose from balanced, high growth, growth, moderate growth and stable options. Media Super lets you invest your pension in single asset class and you can also make direct investments.
- LIFETIMEPLUS. This offering is especially for improving income of retirees at older ages. If you invest some of your pension in this account you would keep receiving an income for as long as you live. Its investment strategy focuses on capital preservation. It makes use of a distinct longevity pool structure that helps provide three types of income.
- Retirement Pension. This pension can supplement the income you receive from the Government Age Pension or other financial investments you’ve made to make sure you can meet the costs of living once you retire. Here, your accumulated super works as an income stream, while the balance in your account continues to earn tax-free investment returns. This account offers flexible payments options, you can choose to get lump sum payments or an income stream after you retire and the pension payments are tax free.
How do I apply for a Media Super fund?
You can join Media Super as a personal member or an employer sponsored member. To submit an application, visit the Media Super website to download a copy of the Member Application Form. Complete it and send it to Media Super via mail. You can join Media Super if:
- You are entering the workforce
- You are changing jobs
- You are planning for retirement
- You work as a freelancer, sole-trader or self-employed individual
Eligibility criteria can vary depending on the account you wish to open. If you want to open the Retirement Pension account you should meet these criteria.
- You are over 65 years of age; or
- You are fully retired and have reached your preservation age (which can 55 to 60 years, depending on your date of birth); or
- You have left employment and are over 60 years of age; or
- You have retired because of permanent incapacity or Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD)
You can nominate your preferred investment option at the time of submitting your member application form. Alternatively, you can manage your investments online after you receive your PIN. If you wish to combine another super with your new Media Super account, you can do this online as well.
Media Super gives you various options to invest your super, as do other service providers, so it’s best that you compare a few before applying.