Pet Business Insurance
Get pet business insurance to protect your dog walking, grooming or other pet service business.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From pet trainer to grooming service, there are dozens of different pet businesses in Australia, which is why pet business insurance policies are so customisable. To make sure your business is covered for the risks it faces, pop in your occupation below and begin comparing benefits and prices.
What can pet business insurance cover?
The unique nature of animal occupations means that finding the right policy may involve tailoring one to suit your needs. For example, a pet store owner may want to find a policy that covers medical treatments for animals under their care, instead of one that simply covers the cost of lost stock.
Professional pet insurance typically includes standard business cover as well as more specialised protection. With animal business insurance you can find a policy that suits your situation and may want to look for benefits such as:
- Injury cover for animals in your care
- Liability cover for damage resulting from third party pets in your care
- Recognition of valuable bloodlines and individual animals
- Expanded professional indemnity cover to meet the unique challenges of your occupation
Who can get business pet insurance?
Almost anyone who works with animals or is in the pet industry can access professional pet cover.
- Online and bricks-and-mortar pet shops
- Kennels and dog clubs
- Catteries and cat clubs
- Animal groomers
- Dog walkers
- Dog trainers
- Farriers and jockeys
- Pet-product retailers and manufacturers
- Any other animal professionals
All of these occupations are able to get the benefits of business insurance as well as specialised benefits to suit the unique challenges of the job.
Who offers pet business insurance in Australia?
To find a cost-effective pet business insurance policy for your needs, get quotes from multiple insurers. The specialised nature of animal care industries means not all professional policies will suit your business’ needs , so the ideal combination of cost and cover may be found either through a broker or by comparing policies in detail yourself.
Certain occupations with membership to appropriate industry groups may also access additional options and will often be able to find cover at a lower cost.
- Veterinarians. Australian Veterinary Association members may access a pre-tailored policy offered by Guild Insurance and additional benefits including highly discounted professional indemnity insurance.
- Dog breeders. Membership with the Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders entitles you to exclusive insurance policies.
- Pet Industry Association of Australia. PIAA members are entitled to a discount on pet business insurance policies from Premier Pet Insurance.
- Pets Australia. Members are able to access insurance policies geared to their needs, and related services.
Between industry organisations, specialist Australian insurers, overseas providers and insurance brokers, animal professionals can find the cover needed.
More guides on Finder
Farm insurance can provide the protection Australian farmers need. It can include ✓ building insurance ✓ crop insurance ✓ livestock insurance
Hope for Australian businesses after insurers lose Covid test case
Businesses have been given the green light to claim on their business interruption insurance - and it's all down to a major blunder by insurers.
What Australian cyber-attacks mean for your small business
Small businesses are regularly targeted by online attacks, yet many assume they're safe.
Vacant land insurance
Find out what insurance you need for your vacant lot.
Tattoo insurance for artists, shops and parlours
Protect your tattoo and piercing shop with tattoo parlour insurance.
Restaurant and Hospitality Insurance
How business insurance can protect your restaurant or hospitality business.
Business liability insurance guide
Liability insurance is a broad term that describes a few types of business insurance cover. The type you need will depend on the nature of your business.
Insurance for massage therapists
If you are a massage therapist, you’ll need to consider business insurance including professional indemnity cover.
Types of Business Insurance
There are various types of insurance to consider based on your specific business needs. Find out more in this guide.
Tax Audit and Accountancy Insurance
If you are audited by the ATO there are costs involved even if you don't get fined. This is where accountancy insurance comes in.
Ask an Expert