Receiving money in Australia
PayPal and Western Union aren’t your only options for receiving money from overseas.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With the right tools at your disposal, you can find the best deal and have quick access to your funds when you receive a money transfer from abroad.
What is the best way to receive money from overseas?
The best way to receive money from overseas depends on your specific situation. For many people, receiving the money straight to their bank through an international money transfer is the most convenient, even if it can be expensive. Typically it is cheaper to use a money transfer company since these types of companies specialize in sending money overseas and offer lower fees and stronger exchange rates than banks.
From cheapest to most expensive, the best way to receive money from overseas is:
- International money transfer company — Find a company that fits your needs by comparing a variety of companies before you receive your transfer.
- Money order - Sometimes called a bank draft, an international money order is an inexpensive and slow way to receive money.
- Mobile wallet - Having money delivered to a mobile wallet isn't a popular option in the US, but if it is available this option is convenient.
- Cash delivery Consider having your money sent to a local money transfer agent location so that you can pick it up in cash. Some services will even deliver it straight to your home.
- International money transfer - International transfers through the bank often get charged fees on both ends, both to send and to receive the transfer from abroad.
What's in this guide?
- Bank information needed when receiving money from overseas
- How does receiving money from overseas work?
- What type of money transfer should I use to receive money?
- How do I compare international money transfer services when receiving money?
- Do I have to pay taxes when receiving money from overseas?
- Bottom line
Compare international money transfer companies to receive money
Use our comparison table to see how much money you could receive through different money transfer companies. Enter the amount you'll be receiving, the currency in which it will be sent, then click Calculate.
How to receive money using our comparison tool
- View. Sort through different international money transfer providers and services by exchange rate, amount received, transfer speed and more.
- Compare. Figure out your best option by comparing companies side-by-side.
- Save. To read more about a product, click on the company's logo. To start an application or transfer, click Go to Site.
Bank information needed when receiving money from overseas
In order to receive money from overseas, you'll need to provide specific details about your bank, including:
- Bank account number
- BIC/Swift Code — you can this from your bank
- Bank State Branch (BSB)
- Full name
- Street address
If you decide to pick the transfer up as cash or have it delivered to a digital wallet, the information you'll need to provide will vary.
How does receiving money from overseas work?
The process may differ depending on the service provider used to send the funds. With some money transfer services, you need to request the transaction reference number from the sender and present the number along with your identification documents. You may also be required to fill out a receive form to access your funds.
With online transfers, the funds are deposited into your account, after which you can withdraw them. You can also receive funds through a prepaid card or mobile wallet.
What type of money transfer should I use to receive money?
Money transfers come in many varieties, all of which can be used to receive money from overseas.
- Online transfer. You can use online payment services to transfer and receive funds. The funds are converted into the recipient's currency.
- Money transfer. Money transfer companies that offer cash pickup are an easy way to receive money. Just double-check that there's an agent location near you before agreeing to receive a cash transfer.
- Prepaid card. You can access your funds through an ATM when using a prepaid card to receive money.
- Mobile wallet. Receive and send funds directly from your smartphone when using a mobile wallet.
How do I compare international money transfer services when receiving money?
- Fees. This is one of the most essential considerations when comparing money transfer providers. Comparing fees allows you to find the most cost-effective option. But remember to find out about the fees that apply to both the sender and the recipient.
- Accessibility. Make sure money transfer providers service your area. Find out if the funds are widely accessible in the areas and via the methods you need.
- Exchange rates. As the funds are received in the recipient's currency, you need to determine which of the providers you wish to use has the best rates. Exchange rates could work to greatly decrease the amount sent.
- Reputation. You want your funds transfer to be handled by a reputable company. However, there are many money transfer companies to be found online, so the only way you can ensure that your funds are safe is by going with a trusted provider. Look at each company's history and customer reviews before making a decision.
Do I have to pay taxes when receiving money from overseas?
Yes, unless the money transfer falls into specific categories. In short, when receiving more than $10,000 from abroad, you must report it on your taxes.
What are the pros and cons of receiving money from an international money transfer service, rather than a bank?
- Simplicity. Most money transfer systems offer simplicity when it comes to sending and receiving money. You can also receive funds immediately once they're transferred.
- Variety. There are various methods one can use to receive money, so you're not forced to work with one service provider.
- Security. If you use a trusted money transfer provider, your transaction is safe and secure.
- Fees. Most money transfer providers have applicable fees that could make their services costly.
Receiving money from overseas doesn't have to be expensive or stressful. By comparing your options, you can make sure you aren't paying too much in fees or losing money to a poor exchange rate. Before making a final decision, learn more about how to save money when sending and receiving money from overseas.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $200 off Bose 700 Noise Cancelling Headphones, 25% off STEM robots, half-price mixed white wines.
Best carpet shampooers in Australia
We compared hundreds of customer reviews and found the five best carpet shampooers you can buy online in Australia.
Best bike lights in Australia
These are the six best bike lights you can buy in Australia right now.
Best PS4 headsets in Australia
These are the best PS4 headsets you can get your hands on right now in Australia.
Best toys for 1-year olds in Australia
These are the 7 best toys you can buy for 1-year-olds in Australia.
Best Ukuleles in Australia
These are the 6 best Ukuleles you can buy right now in Australia.
Square vs PayPal
Both Square and PayPal are popular choices, but which payment processor is best for your business needs?
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Tap-and-whoa: Aussies racked up $24 billion on credit cards in December
Funding Christmas festivities pushed Aussies $24.3 billion deeper into debt, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Best eyebrow pencils in Australia
We've found seven of the best eyebrow pencils in Australia right now.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert