We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Commonwealth Bank is one of Australia’s leading providers of financial and banking services. With almost $800 million in assets and some 1,100 branches around the country, the Commonwealth Bank is one of Australia’s leading "big four" banks.
As part of its wide range of products and services, CBA allows its customers to make international money transfers. Using the bank’s services, you can transfer funds to more than 200 countries and in over 30 currencies. Some payments take just 24 hours to be processed, while another advantage of using a big bank is that you can enjoy the security of knowing that your transfer will be conducted through the international banking system.
CBA exchange rates
As one of Australia’s "big four" banks, Commonwealth Bank’s exchange rates are usually very similar to those offered by the other big banks. In fact, a comparison across the board between CommBank, ANZ, NAB and Westpac, and you’ll find little difference. CBA allows you to transfer money in more than 30 currencies, from common currencies like the Euro through to more exotic offerings like the Czech Koruna.
Bank rates are updated multiple times a day to reflect prevailing market conditions.
It’s also worth noting that if you lodge a transfer via your local branch, you can request that any fees imposed by intermediary or receiving banks will be paid by you rather than the recipient. As an example, if you transfer money to the USA, you’ll have to pay an extra $30 fee in addition to the charge imposed from the table above.
Minimum transfer amount and available countries
There is no minimum payment amount for an international money transfer with CBA. While the standard amount you can send overseas at any one time through NetBank is $2,000, you can apply to have this limit raised to up to $50,000.
CBA allows you to transfer money into more than 30 currencies and to over 200 countries. While there’s no list available that outlines the countries you are unable to transfer to through CBA, transfers to countries such as Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Syria and Somalia are not available.
CBA allows transfers in the following currencies:
What types of transfers can you carry out with CBA?
- Internet banking. You can lodge an international money transfer through your NetBank account.
- In-branch banking. You can lodge a transfer by visiting a branch, but you’ll be charged more for the transaction than if done online.
- Phone banking. It’s also possible to complete transactions via phone banking.
- Forward contracts. CBA allows you to lock in an exchange rate now for a transfer you want to make in the future.
- One-off transfers. You can lodge a one-off transfer with CBA.
- Regular transfers. You can also set up regular scheduled transfers to automatically send funds overseas.
If you ever need assistance when conducting a CBA international money transfer, there are plenty of customer service options available. As well as seeking help in branch, you can search the bank’s online help resources, ask a question on the CBA community, or even phone for assistance.
The registration and transfer process
You’ll need to be a CBA customer in order to use its money transfer services. You can open an account at a CBA branch by supplying appropriate identification and your contact details. If you wish to sign up for NetBank in order to perform your transactions, you can do this online by supplying details of your Commonwealth Bank debit card, credit card or keycard, plus your mobile phone number.
The first time you lodge an international money transfer via NetBank, you’ll have to click on "Increase Your Limit Now" to set your international money transfer limit.
Once that’s done, select "Transfers and BPAY" and click on "International Money Transfer". Enter the country you’re transferring money to and the recipient’s bank code.
Next, type in the recipient’s bank details and select the account you would like to transfer the funds from.
Finally, enter the amount and currency, and then click "Next" to confirm your transfer.
Most transfers are processed within two to five business days.
What are the pros and cons?
- Secure. Using a trusted provider like CBA means your transfer is conducted through the secure SWIFT international banking system.
- Range of options. You can lodge your transfer online, over the phone or in a branch.
- Range of currencies. With more than 30 currencies available, CBA allows you to send funds to over 200 countries.
- Fees apply. Fees apply to any international money transfer conducted through CBA.
- Exchange rates. You’ll typically be able to find better exchange rates from dedicated international money transfer companies.
What other products and services does CommBank offer?
- Foreign currency accounts. You can choose from 15 major global currencies and send and receive payments to and from overseas without having to repeatedly convert currencies.
- Travel money cards. A travel money card from CBA allows you to load up to 13 currencies onto your card, which is accepted at more than 35 million locations worldwide. No transaction fees apply to purchases.
- Travellers’ cheques. The bank offers American Express travellers’ cheques in US Dollars, Euros, Great British Pounds, Canadian Dollars and Japanese Yen.
- International bank drafts. CBA provides bank drafts in 14 currencies across 19 countries. Drafts are treated as local cheques, allowing recipients to access their money quicker.
Find cheaper alternatives to CommBank
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
FAQs about CommBank overseas transfers
Do I need to be an Australian resident?
Not necessarily. Holders of 457 visas may be able to open a CBA account.
Do I need to be a CBA customer to transfer funds?
Yes, you’ll need to hold an account with CBA before you can use the bank’s international money transfer services.
Is this service available for small businesses?
Yes, small business can use CBA’s services to send money overseas.
How long do transfers take?
Most transfers take between two and five business days to be processed.
CBA offers a quick and easy option when you’re looking to transfer money overseas. However, make sure you compare the rates and fees of CBA with other banks and money transfer services so that you end up using the provider that gives you the best possible deal.
Commonwealth Bank (CBA) offers an easy solution when you’re looking to make an international money transfer. CBA offers transfers into more than 30 currencies and to over 200 countries around the world.
More guides on Finder
4 things to consider if you’re sending money overseas this year
SPONSORED: Sending money overseas shouldn't be complicated or expensive.
Great Southern Bank Goal Saver Account (18-24 year olds)
The Great Southern Bank Goal Saver Account has an ongoing bonus rate on balances up to $50,000 for customers aged 18-24.
How to make money with NFT games
Play, trade and earn with blockchain games. 10 ways to make money with NFT gaming.
How to save money 20s ft. The Broke Generation
Sal and Al chat money advice, personal finance mistakes and how to actually save money in your 20s with The Broke Generation.
Two Broke Chicks Ep #203: The Do’s and Don’ts of Travelling With Your BFF
Sal and Al share their hotel horror stories, missed flights and tried and tested travel tips.
Service One Alliance Bank Unsecured Eco Personal Loan
The Eco Personal Loan from Service One Alliance Bank is designed to buy environmentally friendly purchases such as solar panels and batteries. It does not require security and has a variable rate.
Bank First Green Personal Loan
Bank First’s fixed rate green personal loan can be used to make your home environmentally friendly.
Circle Alliance Bank Secured Personal Loan
Circle Alliance Bank’s secured personal loan comes with a variable interest rate and zero monthly fees.
MOVE Bank Personal Loan
This personal loan from MOVE Bank does not require security and may be repaid early without penalty. You'll receive a variable rate, no monthly fees and free online redraw.
Bank of Heritage Isle Personal Loan
The Bank of Heritage Isle Personal Loan has secured or unsecured options, as well as the choice between a fixed or variable rate. Early repayment available, as well as redraw facilities.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
New customers get their first transaction for free with code FIRSTFREE. T&Cs apply.
Send money in minutes at competitive exchange rates with this Australian money transfer service.
Ask an Expert