Want to redeem Velocity Points for a flight? Here's what you need to know.
Once you’ve racked up sufficient Velocity Frequent Flyer points, it’s time to be rewarded for all your spending. After redeeming your Velocity Points on flights to one of over 600 destinations, you will be thankful you joined the frequent flyer program as you sit by the pool and enjoy the perks of your points!
Use this step-by-step guide to discover how you can use your Velocity Points to book flights, as well as some of the fees and costs you need to look out for.
How to book flights with Velocity Points
After deciding a flight is how you would like to spend your Velocity points, it’s time to make a booking. Finding the right seats to match your travel plans can require some research. The more flexible you are, the easier it will be to find a seat.
That doesn’t mean you have to compromise though. You can turn your points into a flight through three flight reward options:
- Reward seat. This is the most popular choice due to a low points price and booking availability. Flights start from 7,800 points plus taxes and fees and include a checked baggage allowance.
- Any seat. If you are having trouble finding the exact reward seat you are look for, you can redeem your points for any seat option on a Virgin Australia flight. While these seats have a higher points price, they offer flexibility, so you can choose flights that suit your preferred travel times. Velocity Points and Status credits can also be earned on these flights.
- Any seat, any airline. If you have your heart set on a particular destination but can’t find an available "reward seat" or "any seat" then you can redeem points for any seat on any airline around the world, not just Virgin Australia or its partners. To be eligible to redeem this option, your nominated airline must allow bookings to be made via a Global Distribution System or a website. The exact points pricing will be quoted prior to making the booking.
Step 1. Where and when are you going
To begin you will need to enter your flight path, number of people flying and preferred travel dates.
Step 2. Select your flight
You will be redirected to a table comparing all select flights available. It will outline:
- Flight times
- Route and stop overs
- Which seats are available
- Economy and Business class options
- Points needed to cover flight
- Pay + points cost
- You will also be able to scroll through dates nearby to compare prices
Step 3. Passenger details
Once you have selected a flight you will need to answer the following questions:
- Full name. Name as stated on your identification documents.
- Gender. As listed on your identification documents.
- Loyalty program. Name of the loyalty program you are a member of.
- Loyalty program number. Membership number for that program.
- Contact number. Best contact number.
- Email address. Ensure you have entered this correctly as confirmation and travel documents may be sent to your address.
Step 4. Seating
Here you can select your preferred seat within the aircraft from those still available.
Step 5. Selecting the travel extras
You can add any of the following extras to your flight package:
- Extra baggage allowance
- Flight insurance
- Book a hotel
- Hire a car. Did you know you can earn Velocity Points on car rentals?
Step 6. Payment
This is where you can use your points to pay for your flight. By selecting the travel bank option, you will be able to log into your account and pay using your points.
Step 7. Confirmation
Ensure all of the details you have entered are correct and understand the terms and conditions before confirming your flight.Back to top
Key details to remember
- Fees for booking Velocity award tickets. When booking your flight, a booking and service fee will apply when you pay by debit or credit card. For domestic flights each booking will incur a fee of $7.70 per person fee, $10 per person per booking on international short-haul flights and $30 per person per booking will be charged on all international long-haul flights and flights operated by partner airlines.
- Phone booking fees. A fee will be charged for redemption bookings made over the phone. International short-haul bookings will incur a $35 or 4,500 points per person fee and $60 or $7,500 points per person for Virgin Australia international long-haul bookings.
- Cancellation and change policies fees. Refunds and itinerary changes are permitted prior to travel, but it will cost you $35 or 4,500 points per person to cancel a domestic booking, or 7,500 points or $60 per person to cancel an international booking.
- Booking name changes. Name changes are not permitted
- Available seats. Seats are limited and may not be available at peak times or on all flights. Gold and Platinum members can call Velocity and ask to open up economy awards seats if booking six months in advance.
- Baggage allowance. A minimum checked baggage allowance of 1 piece up to 23kg applies for Economy Reward Seats and allowances increase for Silver, Gold and Platinum members.
- Points and Pay. If you do not have enough points to cover your flight or do not want to use them all you can opt to use "points and pay" By doing this, any remaining amounts not covered by points can be paid by cash.
- How far in advance can I book? The booking calendar for Virgin Australia opens 330 days in advance.
- Flight upgrade. You cannot upgrade a redemption ticket using more points.
- Can I earn points or status credits? You are only eligible to earn points or status credits on Velocity redemptions when you choose the "any seat" option. All other bookings will not earn you points or status credits.
Congratulations! You have used your Velocity points to buy you a flight to your preferred destination. While you’re in the air, you may as well start dreaming of where your points could take you next!Back to top