How to find unclaimed money

Do you have unclaimed money sitting in an account somewhere? It might be just waiting for you to retrieve it— here’s how.

It’s hard to keep track of the different accounts you’ll open throughout your life. Throughout the space of even one year you may have new insurance policies, super accounts, bank accounts and investments. This could mean that you leave accounts with funds still in them. Over a number of years this can add up, meaning you’re missing out on money which could be working for you.

Read on to find out more about how you can find and take back unclaimed money.

How to locate unclaimed money

  • Perform a search. An easy way to search for unclaimed money in the custody of ASIC is to use their simple unclaimed money search tool.
  • Search on different government sites. You can visit other types of websites—the ATO, your state government, the Fair Work Ombudsman—to track down any unclaimed money that is owed to you.

How to submit a claim

If you performed a search using the unclaimed money search tool and discovered some funds that you think belong to you, you should immediately submit a claim form. The procedure you’ll use for making the claim depends on where your money is—it could be in bank accounts, life insurance policies or company shares.

You’ll have to be patient and wait 28 days for ASIC to complete processing your claim.

Amendments to unclaimed money laws

Regulations concerning unclaimed money were last changed in December 2012. The following changes came into effect:

  • It’s now possible for some money to be declared unclaimed after three years rather than the previous seven years
  • After 1 July 2013, you will be paid interest on all claimed funds (computed from 1 July 2013)

Visit the ASIC website if you need any additional information on these changes.

Has ASIC contacted you?

ASIC's Unclaimed Monies Unit frequently contacts individuals and organisations whose names appear in its records by posting out letters. If you get such a letter, you can use ASIC’s Unclaimed Money Search Tool to confirm whether your claim is valid or not.

Don't waste any cash on people or private money search companies asking you to give them some payment before they can perform an unclaimed money search for you. ASIC’s Unclaimed Money Search Tool is free to use and you can easily perform the search by yourself.

How do you prevent your funds from becoming unclaimed?

To prevent losing track of funds and having them being added to the government’s unclaimed basket, do the following:

  • Do not leave your bank account or super fund dormant for a long time. You should deposit or withdraw some small cash (even 10 cents is good) from your account once every two to three years.
  • Constantly update your financial institution with any changes to your address, name or other contact details.

If money in bank accounts, insurance payouts, pensions or shares becomes unclaimed, the funds are paid to ASIC. However, the funds do not remain in the custody of ASIC; they are moved to the Commonwealth of Australia Consolidated Revenue Fund where the legitimate owner can ask for them at any time. Your ability to claim this cash is not constrained by any time limits.

Other methods to ‘find’ cash

You can use other methods to ‘find’ cash:

  • Make a budget. Budgeting will help you add extra cash to your wallet.
  • Minimise your credit card debt with a balance transfer. A balance transfer can help reduce the interest you pay on credit card debt, so you might want to compare cards today.
  • Switch your mortgage. You might be able to save a lot by switching your mortgage payments.
  • Be sociable and spread the word. Inform your family and friends about the search tool. Maybe they can benefit from cash just waiting for them to pick it up.


You should never neglect to keep an eye on your super. It’s possible that you may have lost track of some of your previous super accounts if you’ve ever changed your name, address or place of work. If you have multiple super accounts, fees and other payments could be making your overall super investment dwindle.

Here are some strategies you can use to keep an eye on and manage your super well.

Check the status of your super using online services

You can create an account on the ATO website and use the SuperSeeker service to do the following:

  1. Check all the super accounts to which you have had money in over the last two financial years (active super accounts).
  2. Locate your lost and unclaimed super. There are billions of dollars of lost super just waiting to be claimed.
  3. Find any super money the ATO holds on your behalf. If the state, your super fund, or your employer is unable to keep your super, it’s transferred to the ATO.
  4. Move your super to your desired super account.

Registering by creating an online account is an essential safety precaution to protect the personal information displayed. It also ensures that you are the only one able to access the account and make transactions. To open an account, you’ll need to provide some personal information and details from some of your personal documents to prove your identity.

Run a quick search on the internet or use the phone service
phone icon

You can find out whether you have any entitlements or lost super being held by the ATO on your behalf by performing a quick online search or by calling the ATO directly. You will need to provide the following information:

  • Your name
  • Date of birth
  • Tax file number

If you want to check the status of your other super accounts or consolidate your lost super with another super account, you will have to use ATO online services.

Lodge a form

You can download a Searching for Lost Super form from the ATO website and use it to check the status of your super. After you’ve filled out and returned the form, the ATO will advise whether you are owed any lost super or any super it has in its reserves.

Funds in the custody of state governments

Locate funds from deceased estates, dividends and other sources

State governments usually keep unclaimed funds from different sources. You can use the following essential contacts to search for deceased estates, dividends and other cash.

Search for deceased estates

You will have to get in touch with the public trustee in the state where the unclaimed funds are found. The following contacts will be of assistance:

  • ACT — Public Trustee for the ACT
  • NSW — NSW Trustee and Guardian
  • Northern Territory — Northern Territory Office of the Public Trustee
  • Queensland — Public Trustee of Queensland
  • South Australia — Public Trustee South Australia
  • Tasmania — Public Trustee Tasmania
  • Victoria — State Trustees Victoria
  • Western Australia — Public Trustee Western Australia

Search for dividends and other cash

Here’s a list of government agencies that you can contact to claim your dividends and other types of cash. Remember that different kinds of funds are held by different state government agencies.

Frequently asked questions

I have been contacted by a company that says I have unclaimed money. What do I do?

Conduct a complete search of all possible assets:

  • Do an ASIC search for assets from banks, life insurance policies, shares and investments.
  • If that turns up nothing, double check details, and try searching by surname only, surname plus first name, and surname plus the your first initial.
  • If that turns up nothing, contact the relevant state department for all other types of money. You may need to ask for a separate search of deceased estates, and other types of unclaimed money.
  • If it may be an old, unclaimed super fund, do a search with SuperSeeker.
  • If you have still found nothing, search for unpaid wages.

If there is still nothing, then it is possible, but not certain, that the company contacting you is a scam. Avoid sending them any money until you know for sure, and consider getting in touch with ASIC for advice.

Where should I look for inactive super funds from before 2014?

Super funds from prior to 1 July 2014,  that have been inactive for 12 months or more, will have been transferred to the Australian tax office. You can find them by creating a SuperSeeker account online.

How do I search for lost super by name?

If you are with AusFund, or your lost super fund may have been one of these, you can search for a lost super by name and date of birth .

How do I search for lost super by tax file number?

You can use SuperSeeker to search by TFN alone.

How can I find unpaid wages?

You can use this tool to search for unpaid wages that may be held.

Where does SuperSeeker search?

SuperSeeker instantly searches the database of accounts reported to the ATO by superannuation funds, along with its own records of unclaimed super it may be holding on your behalf.

Is it possible to access ATO online services using mobile devices?

At present, the ATO website does not support the use of mobile devices such as iPads, tablets and smart phones. You can access its online services using a mobile phone or a tablet, but you may not make the most of your visit to the site because content may not be displayed properly and you may not be able to access some sections of the site. It’s advisable that you use a desktop or laptop computer that meets the minimum requirements to access the ATO’s online services.

What super money does the ATO hold?

The ATO holds super money on your behalf if a fund, employer or the government has transferred it to the ATO. If the ATO cannot locate an account to move the cash to, it will safely keep it until the rightful owner lodges a claim.

What if SuperSeeker finds more than one account?

If SuperSeeker discovers that you have more than one account, it’s recommended that you merge your accounts under one name or get in touch with the super funds for more information. If you combine your accounts you will lower your fees and other account-maintenance charges.

If the ATO is holding money under your name, you can give directions for it to be distributed to a super fund or a retirement savings account. You can also be allowed to withdraw the money in certain situations.

To claim the money, click the links to the transfer and withdrawal forms in SuperSeeker.

If your account is listed on the Lost Members Register (LMR), you do not need to move your lost super to a different account.

What things should you keep in mind before transferring your super?

Consolidating all your super into one account will enable you to reduce fees and other account-maintenance charges. It will also be much easier to keep an eye on your super.
Nonetheless, a number of essential issues should be considered before moving your super:

  • Differences in charges can make a huge difference to what you will get when you retire. For instance, your final benefit will be much lower if there’s a 1.5% increase in fees.
  • Does the account require you to pay administrative fees, exit fees or withdrawal fees?
  • The account you want to transfer your funds to may require you to pay entry or deposit fees
  • Some accounts may insure you against death, sickness or accidental injury. Compare the benefits offered by different accounts.
  • The account you want to move your money to may not allow transfers of ATO-held or super fund-held cash—confirm this prior to commencing the transfer
  • If you’re not certain on what to do, contact an independent adviser or get in touch with your super fund.

Why does my account fail to give a balance?

SuperSeeker shows information reported to the ATO by your super fund. At times super funds fail to report an account balance.

Why is there a difference between my balance and my last statement?

Your account balance is not reported in real time. Confirm the report date next to the balance. Sometimes your super fund may have given a member statement after reporting to the ATO.

Why can’t I see my other super accounts?

All accounts are reported to the ATO every year based on holdings as of June 30. If you recently opened an account or your account has not yet received a contribution, the super fund would not have reported it to the ATO. Information is available only for those accounts that have received contributions.

What will my account balance indicate if I am a member of a defined benefit super scheme?

If you are a member of a defined benefit super scheme, the balance of your account as reported to the ATO may not be the same in every scheme. Check your member statement for more information on this. If you are in a Commonwealth public service defined benefit scheme—including CSS and PSS—your account balance will show the preserved benefit; that is, accrued contributions and payments as at 30 June.

Why do two accounts appear under the same super fund?

You will only see results of active accounts if you perform a search using SuperSeeker. Active accounts are those which have received contributions within the last two financial years. The ATO relies on your super fund to give it information on active accounts and display the latest records. If two records for the same fund have a different client or account number, even if the ATO displays them as different accounts, your account has not been divided.

The ‘show balance’ function will give you a report date and an account balance next to it. Note that the balance of the respective record corresponds to a different year for the same account. The balance figure is the balance amount at the time the super money was reported to the ATO. You will only get a real-time balance if you get in touch with the fund directly.

Why does my fund have a different name?

SuperSeeker shows the legal name of the trustee of your super fund according to the Australian business number (ABN) of the corporation that reports to it.

What if I want details of my TFN?

Details of your TFN are available in the following places:

  • Your income tax notice of assessment
  • Correspondence between you and the ATO
  • Your payment summary
  • From your tax agent

If you still don’t know your TFN, contact the ATO directly:

  • Call them between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday
  • Visit an ATO branch (you may need to call to make an appointment)

Marc Terrano

A passionate publisher who loves to tell a story. Learning and teaching personal finance is his main lot at Talk to him to find out more about home loans.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Savings Account Offers

Learn about our information service
ING DIRECT Savings Maximiser

Maximum Variable Rate


Standard Variable Rate

ME Online Savings Account

Maximum Variable Rate


Standard Variable Rate

Bankwest Hero Saver

Maximum Variable Rate


Standard Variable Rate

ANZ Progress Saver

Maximum Variable Rate


Standard Variable Rate


Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

28 Responses to How to find unclaimed money

  1. Default Gravatar
    Alan | October 7, 2016

    Do I have any lost super

    • Staff
      Anndy | October 10, 2016

      Hi Alan,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please note that we are, a financial comparison and information website, not ATO.

      To locate a lost or unclaimed super, please do visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website and create an account. You can also use it to check all the super accounts to which you have had money in over the last two financial years (active super accounts).


  2. Default Gravatar
    KEVIN | October 7, 2016

    I wish to make a claim in respect of an unclaimed balance of Aust $147.25 and accrued interest which I had on deposit with The WESTPAC BANKING CORPORATION, PORT VILA, NEW HEBRIDES;
    THE MANAGER IN LATE 1977; when I returned to Australia, unemployed due to illness and resided with my mother and simply forgot the existence of my deposit with Westpac. being now unemployed I wish to make a formal application for payment to me of the unclaimed deposit and accrued interest.

    • Staff
      Elizabeth | October 10, 2016

      Hi Kevin,

      You’ve come through to, a financial comparison site and not Westpac. You’ll need to contact Westpac in regards to the above request – you can head to a branch or call them on 13 20 32.

      Hope this helps,


  3. Default Gravatar
    Cath | October 4, 2016

    I am trying to trace my super from 1986-1995. Based on some of the comments above it’s likely disappeared. What can I do?

    Thank you

    • Staff
      Shirley | October 14, 2016

      Hi Cath,

      Thanks for your question.

      If you haven’t already, we recommend claiming your lost super through the ATO website.

      If the balance there is zero, you can get in touch with the ATO directly or the employer who held your super for you to find out what happened.

      Hope this has helped.

  4. Default Gravatar
    Suzanne | June 30, 2016

    A number of years ago when “unclaimed money” was featured in the news, I found what seemed to be my grandfather’s name and small town he lived in, in the 1920′s and 1930′s. I didn’t follow up on the information and now I think I should have. How do I go about it?

    • Staff
      Clarizza | July 6, 2016

      Hi Suzanne,

      Thanks for your question.

      The information contained on this page relates to what the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) considers Unclaimed Money. State governments usually keep unclaimed funds, including those from deceased relatives. You can contact the relevant State government you think might have custody of your grandfather’s funds to find out how to claim it — we’ve included a list under ‘Funds in the custody of state governments’ on this page.

      It should be noted, we are a comparison website and as such, provide advice of a general nature only.

      Hope this has helped.


  5. Default Gravatar
    Cary | June 14, 2016

    Father died recently, looking for assets including life insurance, shares or super fund other than what we’re aware of already. Not sure we trust step-mother to give full disclosure for various reasons so wondering how I search father’s assets without going to whole lot of expense? Any tips? Have checked ASIC for unclaimed funds, but any accounts won’t appear there for several years. Wondering can you do a name search to find property titles? Anyone know how to use a tax file number to search for super? Other assets? Can you get hold of bank records? Any asset recovery tips would be very useful.

    • Staff
      Clarizza | June 16, 2016

      Hi Cary,

      Thanks for your question.

      We are a third party comparison service and don’t have access to title information so unfortunately, we are unable to provide advice on this.

      We recommend speaking to a legal professional to help in this matter.


  6. Default Gravatar
    Gloria | January 14, 2016

    I had been searching for unclaimed money and have come up with nothing except one web site found money but requested a fee they also knew my children’s name should I pay the fee

    • Staff
      Shirley | January 14, 2016

      Hi Gloria,

      Thanks for your question.

      If you have been asked to pay for an unclaimed money search or received a letter from a private money search company asking you to pay them to find your money, remember, you can use ASIC’s Unclaimed Money Search for free. ASIC does not ask people to pay for searches and should have the same database.


  7. Default Gravatar
    Deanna | January 12, 2016

    ASIC and the ATO do not hold all the unclaimed super monies. Their are loop holes super companies can get around under the Act. For example if your policy is growing and not declining, no mail was returned to sender. How many people do you know return mail to senders?? Allot of people bin mail when you move house. So technically your policy keeps growing with the super company, however it is lost because you have no knowledge of it!!

    The ATO only holds super of $2000 and less and only started this process in 2013. Prior to this ASIC looked after this and prior to this super went to the state in which the company operated.

    What about discretionary revenue!! Do you know what this is?? For example NSW Government removes unclaimed money from public viewing every month for money that they have held for a period of 6 years – removed/gone into our government funds – deemed no longer unclaimed money by the Unclaimed Money Act 1995. How do people even know if they have unclaimed money owing to them if it has been removed??

    Well it is companies like “Money Agents” with legal teams that acquire this data, and place strong cases before the Commissioner to state these people should receive their money back.

    If you have account issues, you take your books to your accountant. If you have legal issues you take your issues to a Solicitor. It is the same process with #unclaimedmoney agents, if you have unclaimed/lost money owing to you, you bring this issue to an unclaimed money recovery agent. This is what they are experienced in!

  8. Default Gravatar
    Michael | September 29, 2015

    Hi, I received a letter form a company named Caliburn Potter Asset Services telling me I have an amount of money that may be owed to me from unclaimed assets. I cannot find the details of the asset on the MoneySmart ASIC register or the Victorian State Revenue Office. Is this a scam company by chance please?

    • Default Gravatar
      Deanna | January 12, 2016

      Caliburn Potter Asset Services work the CBA shares and Dividends, if you once had CBA shares and dividends then you need to start your search with Link market. If you have lost your SRN or HIN then you may need help with the process? Unclaimed Money agents purchase lost shares/dividends listings from any major bank or share register. You see unclaimed money is not just with every state department/ASIC or ATO.

      The reason unclaimed money agents letters say “may have” is due to the fact with shares/dividends – they may purchase the data today, by the time they get in contact with you, you may have fixed up your share profile (hence they don’t really know if the money is owed to you, until you sign and they investigate further).

      Hope this helps Michaels question!!

    • Default Gravatar
      Di | October 3, 2015

      Hi Michael. I got a letter this week too. Have you found anything out about it? I will be calling them this week. It’s hard to know where to start…

    • Staff
      Shirley | September 30, 2015

      Hi Michael,

      Thanks for your question.

      We can confirm that CaliburnPotter is not registered with ASIC, though we are not in a position to confirm whether this is a scam.

      Please contact ASIC directly on 1300 300 630 to confirm the details of this enquiry.


    • Default Gravatar
      | October 6, 2015

      Hi Di, no, I couldn’t get any information at all from them other than that I may have an entitlement to assets. They emphasized the ‘may have’ which leads me to believe that they are having a stab in the dark by getting people to sign off on any potential asset. Other than that, I have no further information.

  9. Default Gravatar
    Rudolf | May 17, 2015

    I will be operating as a money recovery agent for the community

    is there a process i need to go through to bean agent with you to help search for the rightful owners lost monies/funds

    or is it possible to direct me to a link that i can search on behalf of clients/prospects

    I am willing to become a membership, so i can use any systems to do the search for lost funds.


    • Staff
      Shirley | May 18, 2015

      Hi Rudolf,

      Thanks for your question.

      There are a number of ways to claim lost money, more information can be found on this page.

      Please be mindful that can only provide general advice, for further information you may need to speak to ASIC directly.


  10. Default Gravatar
    Anne | April 28, 2015

    Believe my deceased mother may have money a insurance policy.

    • Staff
      Richard | April 28, 2015

      Hi Anne,

      Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, is a comparison service and is not equipped to answer these kinds of question. The Australian Government has a service in place that allows people to search for unclaimed insurance through ASIC.
      I hope this was helpful,

Ask a question