stressed lady calculating.png

Financial Hardship And What To Do About It

Information verified correct on March 26th, 2017

These are unprecedented times for financial hardship for most people.

Those people still alive who can remember the Great Depression are of an age now that they probably can't remember it. Houses are being re-possessed, businesses are failing, stocks and shares have been decimated, savings have dwindled, relationships have been ruined by the pressure of it all, and most amazingly, banks have gone to the wall or been nationalised.

Why is financial hardship so huge right now?

With all this going on, the average person might think they are helpless to improve their situation, but there are steps that can be taken. The Credit and Investments Ombudsman Limited is an external dispute resolution scheme for the non-bank credit industry. It is the president's job to oversee disputes within the industry between lenders and customers, and find resolutions. Most major industries have an Ombudsman and their power is substantial. No legal action can be initiated whilst the Ombudsman is on the case, and their decisions are final and binding on both parties.

  • Contact lender as soon as possible - The president of The Credit and Investments Ombudsman Limited has some advice for anyone currently suffering financial hardship. When a customer is unable to meet their loan repayments, they are urged to contact their lender as soon as possible. The earlier this is done, the easier it will be to find a solution. That solution will be to "seek to vary their repayment obligations on grounds of financial hardship," according to the president. It is in the lender's interest to help the customer stay afloat, because if it all starts to go wrong and the customer becomes bankrupt, the lender will have to write off the loan and will also lose out. He advises that any lender who is a member of the Credit and Investments Ombudsman who is not cooperating with a customer request for a hardship variation should be reported to the Ombudsman immediately.The president says it is not too late to take this course of action until a legal judgment has been granted to the lender allowing repossession. Until that time, the Ombudsman can freeze any legal proceedings until the case has been assessed.
  • Know each customer rights - It is useful for the customer to know their rights when faced with financial hardship, and the Credit and Investments Ombudsman has released guidelines to clarify the situation. For example, it is necessary for every lender who is a member of COSL to provide the borrower with a swift reply to their application for a variation on their repayments, and they must not make life difficult for the customer by trying to impose extra conditions on the variation, such as requesting early release of the customer's superannuation. The Ombudsman can decide whether a lender has acted unfairly, either in the original selling of the loan, or in their assessment of the loan variation request, for example if the lender has taken into account factors they should not have, such as the high loan-to-value ratio on the loan. Even where the lender has acted fairly according to the circumstances, the president says that the Ombudsman can still play a role in helping to alleviate the customer's financial hardship by suggesting that the lender reconsiders their decision.

Financial Hardship – Many Australians Are Experiencing Financial Hardship

Back to top
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

ANZ Platinum Credit Card - Exclusive Offer
ANZ Platinum Credit Card - Exclusive Offer

Interest rate


Annual fee

American Express Essential®  Credit Card
American Express Essential® Credit Card

Interest rate


Annual fee

HSBC Platinum Credit Card
HSBC Platinum Credit Card

Interest rate


Annual fee


Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

4 Responses to Financial Hardship And What To Do About It

  1. Default Gravatar
    Lyn | December 8, 2014

    I have been in financial hardship position for the last 18 months due to my husband being unemployed due to his work closing down because of flooding and his ill health being crohn’s disease. I only work part time working 8 days a fortnight with home mortgage and personal loans and credit card debt with yous of $8700. I have approached the anz branch in Victoria and explained my financial position . She rang credit services to speak to them for help as l have borrowed money to consolidate money owing. I offered a sum of $7000 to clear my debt as a payout as this is all I can afford. They ate asking for doctor’s certificates and such can they asked for this personal information? Also why make it so hard when I’m trying to pay this money with what l have so I don’t have bad credit rating against my name. I an even more stressed now and want this sorted would appreciate your advice as I could pay this $7000 today and clear it and be done. Regards Lyn

    • Staff
      Elizabeth | December 8, 2014

      Hi Lyn,

      Thanks for your question.

      According to the Credit Ombudsmen Service, ‘It will not be necessary or appropriate for us or your financial services provider to ask for your entire medical file’ but they may request you to provide them with some medical information if they feel it is necessary to your case. If you feel that they have requested sensitive information you can lodge a complaint. As for your situation, it may be best to get in touch with a free financial counsellor who may be better able to advise you. You can call them on 1800 007 007.

      I hope this has helped.



  2. Default Gravatar
    carol | November 20, 2014

    im trying to get in touch with hardship team

    • Staff
      Elizabeth | November 20, 2014

      Hi Carol,

      Thanks for your question.

      You’ve come through to, not a specific provider. If you could let me know the name of the bank or lender you’re trying to locate the hardship number for I’d be happy to email it to you.



Ask a question