Finder’s Credit Card Awards methodology
The data and analysis Finder’s experts used to determine the best credit cards for each category of the 2024 Finder Credit Card Awards.
What are the Finder Credit Card Awards?
Finder's Credit Card Awards recognises market-leading credit cards, with a ratings methodology that compares both value and features for 270 cards in our database.
Why you can trust our research
The products were included in the categories if they were currently available for new applications and met the following criteria:
- Balance Transfer Credit Card: Has a valid balance transfer revert rate.
- Travel Credit Card: Has a valid purchase rate.
- Frequent Flyer Credit Card – Qantas: Has a valid purchase rate and accrues points on the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
- Frequent Flyer Credit Card – Velocity: Has a valid purchase rate and accrues points on the Velocity Frequent Flyer program.
- Low Rate Credit Card: Has a purchase rate between 0% and 15%.
- No Annual Fee Credit Card: Has a valid purchase rate greater than 0% and $0 annual fee.
- Rewards Credit Card: Has a valid purchase rate and a valid rewards program.
- No Annual Fee Rewards Credit Card: Has a valid rewards purchase rate, $0 annual fee and valid rewards program.
- Business Rewards Credit Card: Is a valid business card, has a valid rewards purchase rate and a valid rewards program.
- Business Frequent Flyer Credit Card: Is a valid business card, has a valid purchase rate and accrues points through Qantas Frequent Flyer, Qantas Business Rewards or Velocity Frequent Flyer.
- Low Interest Business Credit Card: Is a valid business card and has a purchase rate between 0% and 15%.
- Business Charge Card: Has no purchase interest rate and the account type is defined as "business".
Metrics are scored using either binary scores when dealing with categorical data points or dynamic scoring when dealing with numeric data. Finder's dynamic scoring means a product's metric is scored in comparison to the data points of all the other competitor products.
|Balance transfer period
|Balance transfer period
|Balance transfer fee
|Balance transfer rate
|Annual fee (first year)
|Overseas currency conversion rate
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee
|Reward points cap
|Reward points value
|Reward points sign-up
|Balance transfer revert rate
|Reward point cost for $100
Final award score
The final award score is calculated by first calculating a score for each of the previous 12 months. This evaluates each product against the competing products in those particular months. This score is calculated by multiplying the score for each metric by the weight percentage and summing the weighted scores:
The final award score is calculated by taking a weighted average of the monthly scores with more recent months being weighted progressively heavier. This final award score is then ranked to determine the overall winners for each category.
More guides on Finder
Finder Credit Card Awards 2024
Our experts have analysed 270 cards from 82 banks and brands to determine the Finder Credit Card Awards winners and finalists for 2024.
American Express Qantas Corporate Platinum Card
This charge card offers expense management tools and is linked to both Qantas Business Rewards and Membership Rewards.
Navigate credit cards
Narrow down your search for a credit card by using lists on this page to look at different types of cards and offers, or different banks and brands.
Credit Card Surcharges
Compare the surcharges that you can expect when you pay with a credit card and pick up tips to avoid these extra fees.
Horizon Bank Visa Credit Card
This low-cost card offers the same interest rate for all transactions and a $0 annual fee for life.
How long does it take to get a credit card?
From submitting the application and getting approval to receiving the card in the mail, here's how long it takes to get a new credit card.
Custom credit card options in Australia
As well as credit card companies that let you choose your design, there are stickers and covers that you can get to customise your card.
How to get a credit card
If you're worried about getting approved for your first credit card or just don't know where to start, these insights will put you on the right path.
Credit card vs debit card
While a credit card is linked with a line of credit, a debit card is connected to your own money. Compare the differences between the card types in this guide.
No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards
Find out how you can keep your overseas spending costs down by comparing credit cards with no foreign transaction fees and no currency conversion fees.