What kind of vehicles does caravan insurance cover in QLD?
Caravan insurance is suitable for the following vehicle types in QLD:
- Caravans. Of course, caravan insurance covers caravans, but this also includes touring caravans and camper caravans. In Queensland your vehicle's compulsory third-party insurance (CTP) extends to your towed vehicle so you don't need to have insurance for your caravan. For on-site caravans, it might be worth looking into on-site caravan insurance which functions more like home and contents insurance.
- Trailers. Caravan insurance also includes trailer insurance, since they are both generally vehicles which you attach to a car and tow. Caravan insurance can cover car, box and even boat trailers.
- Horse floats. Some caravan insurance providers include cover for floats such as a horse float. Features can include full damage cover, legal liability, storage costs and towing cover.
The three levels of caravan insurance in QLD
Like other states, you can choose from three different levels of caravan insurance in QLD.
- Third party property only. This protects you financially if you injure someone or damage their property. It doesn't provide any cover to your own caravan at all though. If you have an expensive caravan that you want to protect, this might not be the best option for you.
- Third party fire and theft. This provides the same cover as the above policy but it also covers you for theft and fire. It generally doesn't cover you for accidents or vandalism but it can be good value for money. Some policies also cover you for things like towing costs, key replacement and solar panels.
- Comprehensive. The top level of cover available, this offers all that above two levels include, plus it protects you from most other types of damages, both intentional and accidental. It also covers you for a number of natural events, including storms, floods, hail, fire and earthquake, which can be important in a state like Queensland.
Keep in mind that CTP coverage is usually included as part of your car's CTP policy. This covers you for legal liability. For instance, if you injure someone with your caravan in a road accident, CTP can cover legal and medical costs. In Queensland, CTP insurance is included in your registration payment.
What kind of cover can I get?
For a more detailed breakdown of TPP, TPFT and comprehensive caravan insurance, check out the table below.
|Cover||Comprehensive||Third Party Fire and Theft||Third Party Property Damage only|
|Emergency accommodation, transport and repairs|
|Caravan park fees|
|Solar panels and TV antennas|
|Collision or crash|
Benefits worth having when you buy caravan insurance QLD
Below are some of the unique issues you can face in a caravan in Queensland and how caravan insurance can protect you financially.
- Natural disasters. Queensland has experienced its fair share of natural disasters in recent years. Comprehensive caravan insurance can protect you financially from most of them, while third party fire and theft can provide cover for bushfires and earthquakes.
- Adverse weather. Queensland is renowned for its extreme and often unpredictable weather. Getting cover for storms or floods could be vital, especially if you live in an area where bad weather is common.
- Caravan park fees. In such a large state, it's likely you'll need to stay in a caravan park at some point during long journeys. Comprehensive policies can cover the costs of park fees.
- Theft. More common in the cities, it's a good idea to get theft cover as well as cover for the contents inside your caravan.
- Emergency accommodation or repairs. Once again, in such a big state, it can be comforting to know that if you break down far from home, your insurance can assist you in paying for accommodation.
- Lay-up cover. Many Queenslanders use their caravan intermittently for holidays. If this is the case, you may be eligible for a discount on your premium. Some insurers offer up to six non-consecutive months of lay-up coverage, which you can opt out of at any point.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
Compare trailer insurance
Your comprehensive guide to getting trailer insurance for caravans, mobile homes and box trailers.
Caravan Insurance Western Australia
Your guide to finding caravan insurance in WA.
Caravan Insurance Victoria
Need to find the best caravan insurance for you? Living in Victoria? Learn what to look for and how to get covered with this breakdown on caravan insurance.
Camper Trailer Insurance
Compare camper trailer insurance policies from Australian brands and get covered securely.
Motorhome insurance Australia
Need motorhome or campervan insurance, then read on here to find out what you need to know.
Ask an Expert