Caravan insurance QLD
Bushfires, storms and theft: why you need caravan insurance in Queensland.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
As Australia's second largest state, caravan insurance is a must-have in Queensland. It can protect you financially from extreme weather, towing costs, and even provide accommodation if you break down far from home.
Who offers caravan insurance in QLD?
The table below outlines the caravan insurance providers available in Australia and some of their main features, including accidental damage, flood and new vehicle replacement cover.
What kind of vehicles does caravan insurance cover in QLD?
Caravan insurance is suitable for the following vehicle types in QLD:
- Caravans. Of course, caravan insurance covers caravans, but this also includes touring caravans and camper caravans. In Queensland your vehicle's compulsory third-party insurance (CTP) extends to your towed vehicle so you don't need to have insurance for your caravan. For on-site caravans, it might be worth looking into on-site caravan insurance which functions more like home and contents insurance.
- Trailers. Caravan insurance also includes trailer insurance, since they are both generally vehicles which you attach to a car and tow. Caravan insurance can cover car, box and even boat trailers.
- Horse floats. Some caravan insurance providers include cover for floats such as a horse float. Features can include full damage cover, legal liability, storage costs and towing cover.
The three levels of caravan insurance in QLD
Like other states, you can choose from three different levels of caravan insurance in QLD.
- Third party property only. This protects you financially if you injure someone or damage their property. It doesn't provide any cover to your own caravan at all though. If you have an expensive caravan that you want to protect, this might not be the best option for you.
- Third party fire and theft. This provides the same cover as the above policy but it also covers you for theft and fire. It generally doesn't cover you for accidents or vandalism but it can be good value for money. Some policies also cover you for things like towing costs, key replacement and solar panels.
- Comprehensive. The top level of cover available, this offers all that above two levels include, plus it protects you from most other types of damages, both intentional and accidental. It also covers you for a number of natural events, including storms, floods, hail, fire and earthquake, which can be important in a state like Queensland.
Keep in mind that CTP coverage is usually included as part of your car's CTP policy. This covers you for legal liability. For instance, if you injure someone with your caravan in a road accident, CTP can cover legal and medical costs. In Queensland, CTP insurance is included in your registration payment.
What kind of cover can I get?
For a more detailed breakdown of TPP, TPFT and comprehensive caravan insurance, check out the table below.
|Cover||Comprehensive||Third Party Fire and Theft||Third Party Property Damage only|
|Emergency accommodation, transport and repairs|
|Caravan park fees|
|Solar panels and TV antennas|
|Collision or crash|
Benefits worth having when you buy caravan insurance QLD
Below are some of the unique issues you can face in a caravan in Queensland and how caravan insurance can protect you financially.
- Natural disasters. Queensland has experienced its fair share of natural disasters in recent years. Comprehensive caravan insurance can protect you financially from most of them, while third party fire and theft can provide cover for bushfires and earthquakes.
- Adverse weather. Queensland is renowned for its extreme and often unpredictable weather. Getting cover for storms or floods could be vital, especially if you live in an area where bad weather is common.
- Caravan park fees. In such a large state, it's likely you'll need to stay in a caravan park at some point during long journeys. Comprehensive policies can cover the costs of park fees.
- Theft. More common in the cities, it's a good idea to get theft cover as well as cover for the contents inside your caravan.
- Emergency accommodation or repairs. Once again, in such a big state, it can be comforting to know that if you break down far from home, your insurance can assist you in paying for accommodation.
- Lay-up cover. Many Queenslanders use their caravan intermittently for holidays. If this is the case, you may be eligible for a discount on your premium. Some insurers offer up to six non-consecutive months of lay-up coverage, which you can opt out of at any point.
More guides on Finder
Find out about the different types of warehouse storage solutions, how much they cost and where to find them.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Get quotes and compare your mobile storage options across Australia.
What is insurance fraud, and how does it affect my home insurance?
Curious to know what happens if you commit insurance fraud on a home insurance claim? Here's what we know, and why you probably shouldn't do it.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
Ask an Expert