Owner Builder Insurance

Looking to protect your home during construction? Discover the benefits of Owner Builder Insurance and receive quotes.

Owner Builder Insurance

If you are intending to directly undertake, oversee or employ a licensed builder under your Owner Builder Permit, there are a number of different types of insurance that you might want to consider having in place. Types of cover recommended for owner builders include:

  • Owner Builder Construction Insurance to cover the owner builder during the building process for losses they may face including malicious damage/vandalism, theft, fire damage, storm and wind/water damage.
  • Public Liability Insurance to provide cover for personal injury and to third parties and property damage.

This type of insurance cover offers much-needed protection if you decide to sell your owner-built or renovated house.

Enter your details in form below to receive quotes for owner builder insurance

Receive a Quote for Business Insurance

By submitting this form, you agree to finder.com.au privacy policy

If you are ready to speak with a consultant about different business insurance options available, simply enter your details in the form. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the different types of cover available.

FBI Lender Logos

Who is actually recognised as an owner builder?

Each Australian state and territory has its own legislation on exactly who constitutes an owner builder, so it’s important to familiarise yourself with the relevant legislation where you live for full details. But as a general rule, an owner builder is someone who constructs or renovates a residential building on their own land, and who is not otherwise employed as a builder.Owner builders basically act as the general contractor for their building project, hiring out work to subcontractors across a range of trades. They’re also responsible for the building schedule and assume any liability associated with the project, which means they assume all the responsibilities (and associated risks) that a registered builder would normally take on.

What does owner builder insurance actually cover?

1. Construction Insurance for Owner Builders

Construction insurance can provide financial protection against a wide range of potential risks faced by owner builders, including:

  • Malicious damage or vandalism to the project or property
  • Theft of goods or materials
  • Fire damage
  • Storm, wind and water damage

If one of the above insured events occurs, the most the insurer will pay is the full replacement cost for the insured project as shown on your policy schedule. Most insurers will also pay for a range of additional expenses when an insured event occurs, including:

  • The removal of debris
  • Demolition and disposal of the damaged building works or pre-existing structure
  • Demolition and removal of undamaged parts of the project to allow the project to be reinstated or repaired
  • Professional fees

2. Public Liability Insurance for Owner Builders

If you’re an owner builder and a member of the public suffers an injury or property damage as a result of the work you are undertaking, an expensive public liability claim could be made against you. Renovations and building works mean that a property is prone to a range of hazards that would not normally be present. Public liability insurance covers third party injury and property damage caused by your negligence, offering crucial protection for your financial wellbeing.

Public liability insurance covers the following losses for owner builders:

  • Damages and compensation resulting from third party injury or property damage
  • The costs and expenses of your legal defence
  • The claimant’s legal costs and expenses for any successful public liability claim against you
  • Public liability for physical damage to or destruction of goods that are in your possession or control, and which arises as though the damage or destruction was damage to property

Cover is provided up to the limit of indemnity for public liability shown in your policy documents, with $5 million a commonly listed coverage limit.

Other types of cover worth considering as an owner builder

Income Protection Insurance

Working on a construction site exposes you to a much higher risk of injury than you may normally have. If you suffered an injury and were unable to work, income protection insurance is designed to offer an ongoing benefit to replace your regular income. Most policies will replace up to 75 per cent of your pre-disability income, allowing you to continue to meet your ongoing expenses until you are fit enough to return to work and start earning an income again.

Personal Accident Insurance

Personal accident insurance offers crucial protection against the risks associated with being an owner builder and working on a construction site. This type of insurance offers lump sum benefits in the case of accidental death or disability, and weekly benefits if you’re totally or partially disabled for a temporary period as a result of an accident. This type of cover is usually reasonably affordable and helps protect your income and the progress of your construction project if you suffer an injury on the job.

Will Owner Builder Insurance cover voluntary workers?

if a voluntary worker on your project were to suffer an injury as a result of an accident while on the job, your owner builder insurance policy won’t provide and cover.

That’s why it may be worth considering taking out a voluntary workers insurance policy to cover the friends and relatives who offer their services as a favour to you. Voluntary workers insurance typically covers:

  • Personal accident. Your policy will pay a lump sum benefit if a worker suffers accidental death or disability.
  • Broken bones. Cover for accidental injuries is included.
  • Ongoing benefit. Ongoing benefits may be available for workers who suffer temporary total disablement as the result of an accident.
  • Medical expenses. The policy will cover resulting medical expenses that are not covered by Medicare.
  • Cover for non-income earners. Domestic home help and student benefits may be offered for injured workers who are not in full-time employment.
Back to top

Is it compulsory to have cover in place?

While it’s not mandatory to take out owner builder insurance in Australia, this type of cover is definitely worth considering before you begin your building project. From fire and storm damage to theft and vandalism, damage to your project can occur through no fault of your own and could lead to significant expenses.

Similarly, a building site features a range of hazards and risks that would not normally be present at your property, and if they result in property damage or bodily injury to a third party, a public liability claim brought against you could lead to disastrous financial consequences.

Back to top

If I am only planning on doing renovations, will I be covered by my home and contents?

Home and contents insurance policies do offer a range of additional benefits on top of the loss or damage cover they provide for your building and possessions. Depending on your policy, you may receive some cover for your home and contents while renovations or extensions are being undertaken.

  • There may be limited cover for renovation works

However, there are a couple of key risks associated with relying on home and contents cover. First of all, most insurers will only offer a limited level of coverage for renovation works, usually up to a maximum of $50,000. However, not all policies offer this type of cover, and it’s a good idea to notify the insurer of your renovation project and obtain written confirmation of exactly what they will and won’t cover.

  • Cover may be suspended while renovations are being carried out

Many insurers will suspend the home insurance and public liability cover while the renovations or extensions are taking place, especially if they’re above a certain cost limit or particularly complex. This could have a significant impact on the cover for the existing house against loss or damage caused by the building work, as well as on the public liability protection your policy provides.

  • Cover may lapse if home is left vacant

Cover under many home and contents insurance policies will lapse if your home is left vacant for more than a certain period. And when you consider the increased risk of storm, wind and water damage while your property is being renovated, it’s clear just how important it is to ensure that you have adequate insurance cover in place.

Can I still get cover if I have already started the construction of my home?

Unfortunately, many insurers will not be willing to provide owner builder insurance cover if you have already started your construction project. With this in mind, it’s recommended that you find the right owner builder insurance policy before starting work, especially if you are relying on financing from a lender to complete the project – without the proper insurance in place, you may have trouble finding a lender who will let you borrow the funds you need to finish the construction.

There are some insurers that may offer you cover for projects that have already commenced, but the cover will typically cost more than it would have if you had taken out a policy before starting work.

Find owner builder insurance with the help of an adviser

Picture: Shutterstock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At finder.com.au we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the finder.com.au privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to finder.com.au and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

4 Responses to Owner Builder Insurance

  1. Default Gravatar
    Marnie | January 21, 2017

    Why does this website have a quote for business insurance facility on the owner builder page? I need a quote for owner builder insurance not business insurance.

    • Staff
      Richard | January 30, 2017

      Hi Marnie,

      Apologies for the delayed response. AustBrokers provide quotes for owner builder insurance, which is why that form is on the page.

      All the best,

  2. Default Gravatar
    Paul | August 18, 2014

    Dear finder Team,
    We are a church organisation and intend to renovate 2 stories office building in South Melbourne (VIC) and use it as our place of assembly and office. We have engaged Professionals (Architect and engineers) and a Building Permit has been issued. Our current Renovation cost is around $400.000. We want to do a lot of work our self as owner builder and need ‘Owner builder Insurance cover’ with Public Liability of $5.000.000.Can you arrange for us?
    Thank you and kind regards,

    • Staff
      Richard | August 18, 2014

      Hi Paul,

      Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, finder.com.au is a comparison website and does not actually offer insurance products. However, If you fill out the Owner Builder Insurance Quote form on the Owner Builder Insurance: Compare Owner Builder Insurance Quotes page, a broker will be in touch with you to help you find a policy.

      I hope this was helpful,

Ask a question