Earn and redeem Velocity points for flights, accommodation and rewards when you’re a member of the Velocity Frequent Flyer rewards program.
The Velocity Frequent Flyer Rewards Program is Virgin Australia’s frequent flyer scheme that allows customers to earn Velocity Points whenever they fly with the airline or any of its international partners. Not only can customers earn points, but they also can take advantage of the many flights offered, including one-stop flights to Europe, flights to the Americas, Asia, the Middle East and more.
Members of the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program can also earn points all over the world by using the program’s network of partners, including hotels, car hire companies, travel assistance, insurance companies and more. Additionally, customers using a credit card that is linked to the Velocity program will be able to earn double the points, because they will be earning points by using their cards as well as with program partners.
- What is the Velocity frequent flyer program?
- How does the Velocity frequent flyer Program work?
- How do I earn Velocity frequent flyer points?
- Where can I redeem Velocity frequent flyer points?
- How does the program compare to others?
- Pros & Cons of the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
- Things to avoid with the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
- Frequently asked questions
Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
Velocity Frequent Flyer is the loyalty program of Virgin Australia. Earn Velocity Points by spending on a linked credit card, spending with Virgin on their flights or services or with a Velocity partner. The Velocity program is free and takes less than 5 minutes to join.
- Earn Status Credits and you could experience first class service as a Platinum, Gold or Silver member.
- Earn Points when using a participating credit or charge card.
- Pool your family’s Velocity Points to reach your rewards faster.
- Earn Points when your Pets travel with you.
When you’ve joined the Velocity frequent flyer program, you can earn and redeem points on products and services from Velocity frequent flyer by quoting your membership number on eligible purchases or using a linked credit card. Back to top
What is the Velocity frequent flyer program?
Being a part of the Velocity frequent flyer means that you can enjoy a number of perks and benefits;
- International benefits. Enjoy the ability to earn and redeem points with Virgin and their global affiliates. You can also enjoy your membership level benefits around the world.
- Rewards. Earn and redeem for rewards with a wide range of credit cards when shopping online with Virgin’s shopping partners.
- Status levels. Depending on your level of membership, you can enjoy benefits like priority check-in, plus gold and platinum members can enjoy priority boarding, guaranteed reward seats and complimentary membership with affiliated partners.
- Family benefits. Velocity lets you pool in your points as a family and take a membership pause ‘parental leave’. There are also programs aimed at making travel with your family more convenient.
- Pets included. Now no one get left behind with Virgin’s unique program for pets, allowing you to earn points for travelling domestically with your cat or dog on Virgin flights.
In addition to the rewards system, you can also collect ‘Status Credits’ when you fly. This means that on eligible flights, the more you fly and the higher the care class, the more Status Credits you earn, giving you a higher membership.
Status Credits are calculated daily and based on how many you’ve earnt in the past 12 months. Every Status Credit is valid for 12 months, so you your balance will not be reset to zero when your annual review comes up. Levels of membership include;
- Red. Earn and redeem points as well as enjoy seating preferences and advance seat selection. You can also upgrade your seats on eligible flights.
- Silver. Silver membership lets you receive bonus points on Virgin and partner flights as well a priority phone service.
- Gold. Enjoy upgrades to your flights when using points on international flights, as well as complimentary membership with Secure Sentinel. You can also enjoy priority benefits at the airport.
- Platinum. This highest level of membership means you receive complimentary fare upgrades and priority economy seat purchase. You can also enjoy priority benefits at the airport.
How does the Velocity frequent flyer Program work?
When you sign up to be a member of the program, you will start on the basic level of red membership. You can then earn and redeem Velocity points, enjoy travel benefits before you travel, at the airport, at your destination, with Virgin’s international airline partners as well as family benefits. Linking or transferring your points earned from your credit card can also maximise your points earning.
Velocity has an array of benefits for you to take advantage of before and after your flights. Before you travel, you can enjoy preferential seating as well as priority phone services, which could include complimentary fare upgrades and priority economy seat purchases. At the airport, gold and platinum members can enjoy priority check-in when travelling both internationally and domestically. Valets, lounges and extra baggage allowances are also available. When you’ve reached your destination you also get priority baggage as well complimentary partner memberships with hotel programs (available for gold and platinum only).
How do I earn Velocity frequent flyer points?
You can earn points on a number ways:
- Using a co-branded credit card.
With these credit cards, points earned at automatically transferred to your Velocity account which saves you the hassle of manually doing it yourself - some of these credit card also come with a complimentary flight. Other credit card providers let you transfer points to Velocity too including American Express, ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, Citibank, Diners, St.George, BankSA and BoM.
Velocity Credit Card Offer
The Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer Card offers a long term balance transfer plus 10,000 Velocity bonus points offer. Earn Velocity points on every $1 spent.
- $129 p.a. annual fee
- 20.74% p.a. on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 16 months on balance transfers
- Cash Advance Rate of 20.99% p.a.
- Up to 44 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $35,000 p.a.
Comparison of credit cards that earn Velocity PointsRates last updated March 31st, 2015
- Car hire and services - You can take advantage of Virgin’s car fire partners such as Hertz, Thrifty, Europcar and car servicing with Midas.
- Partner airlines - When you fly with Virgin Australia and their international airline partners, you could also earn extra points to increase your level of membership; Singapore Airlines, Air New Zealand, Etihad, Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Samoa, Virgin America, Hawaiian Airlines and AirBerlin.
- Hotels - When booking accommodation, book directly where these hotels to earn points for your stay; Langham Hospitality Group, Meritus Hotels and Resorts, Palazzo Versace, Qualia Great Barrier Reef, Hamilton Island, Morgans Hotel Group, Necker island, Ulusaba, Quay, The Sebel, CitiGate, Cairns Harbour Lights, Grand Chifley, Rendezvous, park REgis, Vibe, Adina, Medina, Travelodge Hotels, Q Statin, Quality, Comfort, EconoLodge, Australis, Country Comfort.
- Holiday extras - If you’re looking for a holiday package or services, then you may want to consider a Velocity partner to earn some bonus points; Virgin Australia Holidays, GoDo, Cruise Pilot, Global Assistance, Secure Sentinel, Airport Parking, Brunel Worldwide Chauffeur Drive, Virgin Galactic, Experience OZ, Warner Village theme parks.
- Online shopping - Earn points when shopping at Westfield Online, the Velocity Global eStore (which includes brands like Apple and Mark&Spencer), Onsport and iSubscribe.
- Eating out - Search for tables at hundred of restaurants through BookARestaurant, or enjoy bonus points when eating or drinking at Babylon Restaurant and Virgin Wines.
- Entertainment - Members will able to take advantage of entertainment deals from Virgin Mobile, the Box Office, Foxtel, Quickflix, OnSport and eRewards.
- Finance - If you’re looking for any financial services, then you could earn points by using these services such as Lumo Energy, Allianz Global Assistance, IBIS World and Virgin Money.
Velocity Global Wallet.
The Velocity Global Wallet is a prepaid Visa card. You can preload up to 25000 of your own money.
You'll earn points when you use your Velocity Global Wallet for both domestic and overseas purchases.
Where can I redeem Velocity frequent flyer points?
- Flights - Redeem your points for a certain number of miles to receive discounts off your flights with Virgin or any of their partner airlines such as Etihad, Singapore Airlines, Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Hawaiian Airlines and AirBerlin.
- Upgrades - Use your points and upgrade your flight or airport experience so you can enjoy your holiday even more.
- Car hire - Redeem online with Europcar and save on hiring costs in locations around the globe.
- Hotels - Virgin has over 75,000 partnered hotels for you to redeem your Velocity points at. You can also redeem for a gift voucher at hotels such as Holiday Inn, Rendezvous, Travelodge, Vibe Hotels, Adina, EconoLodge, Quality, Comfort, Clarion, Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental, Hilton and Palazzo Versace.
- Holidays - If you want to use your Velocity points to take the hassle out of organising your holiday, then you may want to redeem for these services; Virgin Australia Holidays, Warner Village Theme Parks, Virgin Australia lounge, Virgin Galactic, Cruisepilot and Brunel Limousines.
- Online shopping - Redeem your points when shopping online on the Westfield online store, or at Onsport.com.au.
There is also a Velocity Rewards store ranging from fashion, gift cards, travel, leisure, technology with home and outdoor.
- Charities - If you feel like giving something back to the community, you can donate to charities using your Velocity points. Charities involved change on a regular basis, so you may want to log into your account to see where you can donate your points to.
How to redeem your Velocity Rewards
Login to your Velocity Rewards account and click on the redeem button in the top menu.
Then choose from one of the options available in the drop down menu.
You can then adjust how many points you want to spend on your item with the slider. Once you are happy with your purchase, click on the "add to cart" button.
How does the Velocity frequent flyer program compare to others?
Qantas is one of Australia’s biggest frequent flyer programs and is often compared to Velocity. Here are some features based on each aspect of the rewards program.
- Joining. Qantas charges a fee of $89.50 to join, whereas it’s free to Velocity. Both reward points don’t expire as long as you earn or redeem points within a period of time (18 months for Qantas and 36 months for Velocity).
- Earning points. Velocity has different levels of points earning, as you reach higher levels on your membership, you earn more points. However, Qantas is based upon the amount of miles that you travel but still provides extra points if you have a higher membership. Bonus points are also available for both programs.
- Bonus points. Earning bonus points when you sign up for a credit card is generally easier with the Qantas frequent flyer program, compared to Velocity. If you want to earn bonus Velocity points easily, then taking advantage of their partner offers is a great way to feed points.
- Redeeming points. Both Velocity and Qantas have the same range of rewards and both offer discounts off travel products and services.
In terms of domestic flights, Qantas’s program is easier to understand, because you know how many miles you need from one destination to another. A minimum amount of points you can earn also applies to domestic flights on Qantas, meaning you are guaranteed a certain amount regardless how little distance you fly. However, when it comes to upgrading your flight class to business, Velocity is great for these as you earn more points compared to Qantas when flying business.
Benefits of the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
- No joining fee. Joining the Velocity program is easy and simple online, plus there is no joining fee.
- Family benefits. Take parental leave on your membership by pausing it for six months and enjoy the ability to pool your points together. Velocity also offer a frequent flyer program for your pets, so everyone in the family is actually included.
- Global Wallet. Your Velocity membership card can also be used as a prepaid Visa travel card, where you can load your own money in foreign currency and use the card wherever Visa is accepted.
Things to avoid with the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
- Family pooling. Take caution if you’re about to reach a tier when adding up your points and hoping to step up from Silver to Gold membership. If somebody pools their points in with yours, you will get the membership upgrade, not them. So if you’re on platinum level and your partner is about to turn gold, you’ll want to wait until he or she reaches gold level before making him or her a contributor to your account.
Frequently asked questions about the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
I’m having problems with my account, who do I speak to?
Please contact Virgin directly by calling their Membership Contact Centre on 13 18 75 if you reside in Australia.
Where can I find more information about earning Velocity points?
Please see this page for our guide on earning Velocity points.
Where can I find more information about redeeming Velocity points?
Please see this page for our guide on redeeming Velocity points.
Where can I find more information about the Velocity Global Wallet?
Please see our review on the Velocity Global Wallet.
Where can I find more information about Velocity Status Credits?
Please see this page about Velocity Status Credits.
Can I travel with my cat or dog with Velocity?
Yes, Velocity even has a frequent flyer program for pets which you can read more about.
I have a question about my membership that isn’t covered on this page.
Please ask us by clicking ask a question.