How much are Virgin Velocity Points worth?
Here's exactly what your Velocity Points are worth in cold hard cash, plus the best ways to spend them.
How much is a Velocity Point worth?
As of October 2023, a Velocity Point is worth between 0.4 cents and 4 cents, depending on how you spend it.
Here's what Velocity Points are worth for some popular reward choices:
- Economy reward flights: 1–2 cents per Velocity Point
- Business reward flights: 2–4 cents per Velocity Point
- Flight upgrades: 2–4 cents per Velocity Point
- Shopping: 0.4–0.5 cents per Velocity Point
In the table below, we've shown the points needed for a range of Velocity reward options, how much they would usually cost to buy outright and the dollar value per $1,000 points they represent.
|Redemption||Points cost||Value||Value/point||Value/1,000 points|
|Sydney to Perth (Economy) return||43,800||$795.08||0.0181525||$18.15|
|Sydney to Melbourne (Economy) return||19,800||$212.46||0.0107303||$10.73|
|Melbourne to Brisbane (Economy) return||29,800||$516.50||0.0173322||$17.33|
|Sydney to Queenstown (Economy) return||35,600||$480.00||0.0134831||$13.48|
|Sydney to Perth (Business) return||71,000||$3,147.08||0.0443251||$44.33|
|Sydney to Melbourne (Business) return||31,000||$612.46||0.0197568||$19.76|
|Melbourne to Brisbane (Business) return||47,000||$1,286.50||0.0273723||$27.37|
|Sydney to Queenstown (Business) return||71,000||$1,842.00||0.0259437||$25.94|
|Sydney to Perth Economy to Business upgrade one way||30,000||$1,176.00||0.0392||$39.20|
|Sydney to Melbourne Economy to Business upgrade one way||10,000||$200.00||0.02||$20.00|
|Melbourne to Brisbane Economy to Business upgrade one way||17,500||$385.00||0.022||$22.00|
|Sydney to Queenstown Economy to Business upgrade one way||16,000||$681.00||0.0425625||$42.56|
|iPhone 15 512GB||399,509||$2,049.00||0.0051288||$5.13|
|Myer Gift Card||9,603||$50.00||0.0052067||$5.21|
|Event Cinemas Gift Card||9,606||$50.00||0.0052051||$5.21|
|Breville Barista Express||157,270||$679.00||0.0043174||$4.32|
|Dyson Supersonic Hairdryer||120,214||$649.00||0.0053987||$5.40|
|AirPods 2nd generation||40,549||$199.00||0.0049076||$4.91|
|Adelaide hotel room 1 night||41,100||$246.00||0.0059854||$5.99|
|Car hire 1 night||32,500||$170.00||0.0052308||$5.23|
As the table shows, the best value comes from flight upgrades, then business class flights, then economy flights. Store purchases are typically not good value.
Methodology: How we calculated these values
All calculations are based on typical prices for flights and rewards in October 2023, as checked on the Virgin Australia site.
I usually think about how much 1,000 Velocity Points are worth, rather than single points. You can't use individual points for anything, and redemptions usually require thousands of points.
My rule of thumb? If you're getting $20 or more in value for each 1,000 Velocity Points, that's worthwhile. Under $10? That's not good value.
The better value the reward, the trickier it is to get. Virgin only has a handful of Business seats on each route anyway, and you'll be lucky if more than one of those is available as a reward option.
Economy domestic flights represent good value and are much more widely available. If you book in advance for typically busy periods (such as holidays), they're a solid option.
Are Velocity Points worth less than Qantas Points?
Based on our calculations of Qantas value, the short answer is: yes. While the value is similar for domestic flights, Qantas's much broader network (both domestically and internationally) means there are higher-value options available. As Virgin continues to expand its international network, this equation is likely to shift slightly.
How can I get the most value from my Velocity Points?
After decades of flying on Virgin and using Velocity Points, these are my key rules:
- Don't spend your points on Any Seat flights. As ever, I don't recommend "Any Seat" redemptions, which consume many more points and are not good value. Focus on standard Reward flights instead.
- Check tier values carefully. Annoyingly, Velocity has 3 tiers for flight redemptions. Tier 1 uses the fewest points, but those seats are rare. When calculating values, I've used the most expensive Tier 3 options. If you can score a Tier 1 or Tier 2 seat, the value will be higher.
- Think Australia and the Pacific, not international. Virgin's international network is slowly expanding, but it is yet to return to its full pre-pandemic range. While you can redeem points with partner airlines, that's expensive and competitive. Right now, your best options are still for flights within Australia, to New Zealand (though that only covers Queenstown) and to other Pacific destinations.
- Set a goal for your points. Using points effectively takes planning. Set a goal – maybe a family holiday to the Gold Coast – find out how much that will need and then start saving.
Velocity Points credit card offers
Compare these credit cards with Velocity bonus offers to supercharge your total.
- Virgin Australia flight quotes October 10 2023
- Velocity Rewards Store October 10 2023
More guides on Finder
How to buy Velocity Frequent Flyer Points
Get reward flights faster by purchasing Velocity Points - here's what you need to know.
How the family benefits from the Velocity Frequent Flyer program
Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer allows you to take advantage of rewarding benefits for you, your family and pets.
How to earn Velocity Points on hotel stays and accommodation
Learn how to start earning more Velocity Points on your hotel accommodation today.
How to book flights with your Velocity Points
Book flights with your Velocity Points and let your rewards take you around the world. Learn more here.
19 ways to earn Velocity frequent flyer points
Discover and compare all the different ways you can earn and maximise your Velocity Frequent Flyer Points.
How to transfer your Velocity Frequent Flyer Points to family members
Velocity allows you to transfer your points to an eligible family member up to four times per membership year. Learn how you can make the most out of transferring your points and family pooling.
Ask an Expert