Get 15% bonus when you transfer Flybuys to Velocity
Build your Velocity Points balance faster with the latest deals from Flybuys.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Flybuys points are commonly earned by shopping at Coles and its stable of partners, including Kmart, Liquorland and Target. Collecting Flybuys points gives you access to a number of travel rewards options, one of which is the ability to transfer your points into Virgin Australia's Velocity program.
In January 2021, Flybuys increased the transfer rate to Velocity Points by 15% bringing it into line with competitor Woolworths’ Everyday Rewards.
What is the new rate for transferring Flybuys into Velocity Points?
The new rate sees 2,000 Flybuys points = 1,000 Velocity Points, making every Flybuys point worth 0.5 Velocity Points. Before the change, the rate was less generous at 2,000 Flybuys points for just 870 Velocity Points, with every Flybuys point worth 0.435.
Instead of transferring points manually, you can turn on Auto Transfer to convert every 1,000 Flybuys points to 500 Velocity Points every time you reach 1,000 Flybuys points. People with Auto Transfer on sometimes get bonus points in promotions.
What does this mean for Velocity transfer bonus promotions?
Prior to the rate change, Flybuys and Velocity would run transfer bonus promotions many times a year. While the bonus was sometimes as much as 40%, it was commonly 15%. Since this change, we haven't seen another 15% bonus transfer promotion, but we have seen other types of promotions (see below).
Flybuys is not the only partner you can transfer points from – you can also transfer membership points from certain credit cards to Velocity Points.
Previous Velocity transfer bonus promotions
To give you an idea of what kinds of bonus transfer promotions Velocity runs, here are some of the promotions it's run in the last 12 months:
- June 2021: Opt in to Velocity Auto Transfer to receive 300 bonus Velocity points.
- April to May 2021: Velocity held a competition to win 1 of 50 Virgin Australia flights or 1 of 1,000 prizes of 1,000 Velocity Points (Auto Transfer users had double entries).
- March 2021: Competition to claim a share of 5 million Velocity Points (Auto Transfer users had double entries).
- December 2020 to January 2021: Triple status credits for those who use Auto Transfers.
- November 2020: 15% bonus points.
- July 2020: 15% bonus points (20% bonus points on any transfers above 100,000 Flybuys points).
What should I be aware of when transferring Flybuys points to the Velocity program with a bonus promotion?
When transferring points from the Flybuys program to Velocity, there are a few things to be aware of:
- You must transfer a minimum of 1,000 Flybuys points per transfer.
- Transfers must be made in multiples of 1,000.
- From 1 November 2020, there is no maximum limit to how many points you can transfer (it used to be 138,000 Flybuys points per household, per calendar year).
- No fractions of points are given, only whole points.
- You will need a Velocity membership (membership is free).
- You will need to link your Velocity membership number to your Flybuys account first.
- Transfers are immediate, although bonus points may take a number of extra days to arrive in your account.
- You cannot refund or cancel the transfer once it's been completed.
Another reason to link your Velocity Points account to your Flybuys account is that you can earn 1 Status Credit for every $100 spent at Coles, Liquorland or First Choice Liquor, up to 10 Status Credits per month.
How many Velocity Points could you earn?
The table below shows the number of Velocity Points you could earn as part of a 15% or 30% bonus transfer promotion.
|Flybuys||Velocity Points (regular transfer)||Velocity Points (15% bonus transfer)||Velocity Points (30% bonus transfer)|
Looking for more ways to earn Velocity points?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
More guides on Finder
COVID vaccination rewards from Medibank, Finder, Qantas, Telstra and more
Major names in health insurance and travel have moved fast to offer rewards to people who've received the COVID-19 vaccination.
Velocity and bundll’s BNPL partnership: Get your 5,000 points
In an Australian first consumers will be able to earn points as they pay off their BNPL debt.
How to get Virgin Money’s new 1.50% p.a. bonus savings account rate
The Virgin Money Boost Saver account is offering a new bonus rate of 1.50% p.a. for a limited time only. Here's how to get it, and how this offer compares.
7 easy ways to stop your Qantas or Velocity points expiring
Here’s how you can keep your frequent flyer points balances active during lockdown.
Qantas versus Virgin: Which airline has the best vaccination bonus?
Millions of points on offer, but how likely are you to get them?
ANZ Cashrewards Max: How much cash can you get back?
If you have an ANZ credit card or debit card, you can now earn cashback when you shop with over 1,700 brands. Here's how it works.
PayPal Rewards Card
The new PayPal Rewards credit card offers no annual fee and points per $1 spent. So how much value can you get from it?
August’s best balance transfer credit card offers
Ready to deal with credit card debt? Here's how you can save on interest with one of these 0% balance transfer offers that lasts up to 36 months.
Coles vs Woolworths: Which one offers the most gift card bonus points?
One supermarket is much more generous, an exclusive Finder analysis reveals.
ANZ Rewards Platinum – Exclusive Offer
This card offers a competitive rewards program, 150,000 bonus ANZ Reward Points, a first-year annual fee waiver and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Ask an Expert