Personal loan brokers
Utilise the time and the expertise of a professional broker to take the hassle and stress out of finding your next personal loan.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Finding a personal loan can take a lot of time, effort and stress. By using a personal loan broker, you needn’t waste time searching around for a loan. A broker can help you find the option that is best suited to your situation and requirements and you’ll also have the benefit of a single contact for the total term of your loan.
Personal loan brokers can also be of significant help for those with complicated situations or poor credit scores, who are typically rejected by traditional lenders.
How do personal loan brokers work?
Personal loan brokers work in a similar way to mortgage brokers: they help you find a good deal on your loan.
Personal loan brokers can help you with the full range of personal loan products offered by lenders. Whether you are planning a holiday or buying a new car, a personal loan broker can assist you with finding a suitable product.
Personal loan brokers search for a loan within their lending panel, which is simply the group of lenders that they deal with. Once you sign up for their services they will find a product from one of these lenders. Most personal loan brokers offer online applications and loan management, so there is no need to book an appointment or sign and post documents, which can save you time.
Are personal loan brokers worth considering?
Why should I opt for a broker?
Personal loan brokers offer you convenience. They can find you the best loan option for your unique circumstances. They may be particularly useful if you have a bad credit score or trouble meeting the standard lending requirements at larger financial institutions.
Using a broker can help you maintain a good credit score by preventing unnecessary applications and potential rejections from multiple lenders. Brokers have a better understanding of different lending requirements of various lenders, so they won’t recommend products that you are likely to be rejected for.
Loan brokers often have different minimum loan amount requirements to the lenders themselves. Some credit unions and smaller banks will lend as little as $2,000 unsecured, whereas brokers typically won’t deal with less than $5,000. If you only need a small amount to avoid using a credit card then a broker isn’t suitable for you.
How can you find a good broker
- Loans offered. Make sure the broker you are considering offers the type of loan that you require.
- Type of interest. Most brokers offer fixed interest loans only.
- Loan conditions. Can you pay the loan out sooner, make additional repayments or redraw on overpaid amounts? Make sure you can access these services without having to pay a fee.
- Lending panel. This is the group of lenders from which your broker will choose a loan. The bigger the panel, the greater the chance of you getting the best deal available.
- How they work. Some brokers operate almost entirely online, whereas others use the more traditional phone, fax and mail. Make sure you’re comfortable with whichever system your broker uses.
- Funding time. Brokers have different speeds at which they are able to approve and fund your loan. If you are in a hurry, an online-based broker should be able to approve your loan faster than a paper-based one.
- Customer service. You will be dealing with the broker for the term of your loan, so make sure you are happy with the level of service they provide. Call them to see how long it takes to get an answer and find out what kind of support they offer.
What to avoid with personal loan brokers
- A small lending panel. The more lenders your broker has access to, the better your chance of getting the best loan available. Make sure your broker compares a large range of options, otherwise you might as well just do it yourself.
- Commissions. There isn’t anything wrong with a broker being paid a commission, just be sure of what the commissions are and how they affect the broker’s recommendations. Less honest brokers might push lenders that pay them higher, rather than the ones that offer the best option for you.
- Fees and charges. Understand the fees and charges that you will have to pay. Ensure that they are all clearly explained to you before you commit to your broker and the loan. It may be worth doing a quick comparison with your current bank, just to get an idea of what you could get without assistance.
Alternatives to personal loan brokers
There are other ways to get a personal loan. You can contact the lender directly.
You can do that by comparing the options below. When you're ready, hit 'Go to site' to be securely routed to the lender's website to check your options and begin your application process or click on 'View details' to read our full review of the lender.
Have more questions about personal loan brokers?
More guides on Finder
Best budget gaming monitors In Australia
We've done the research to find the best five budget gaming monitors available in Australia to suit different budgets and types of user.
Best camping mattresses in Australia
These are the 6 best camping mattresses you can get in Australia right now.
Best projectors in Australia
Here are the 7 best projectors you can buy right now for all your home theatre and gaming needs.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best Beard Oils in Australia
These are the 6 best beard oils you can buy right now in Australia.
Brighte Personal Loan
Looking to renovate your home? Find out more about Brighte's personal loan for home improvements and ways in which it may be able to benefit you.
Best 2-in-1 laptops in Australia
Our expert team spent hundreds of hours testing laptops to find the six best 2-in-1 laptops you can buy.
5 weird Amazon Prime Day deals that are worth buying
Here are five cool and weird Amazon Prime Day deals you didn't realise you needed: from beach metal detectors to travel telescope kits.
Endeavour Mutual Bank Special Fixed Home Loan
The Special Fixed Home Loan from Endeavour Mutual Bank is a fixed rate mortgage for owner-occupiers and investors.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.
Ask an Expert