Owner Builder Insurance

Owner builder insurance can cover losses during the building process. You can buy a standalone package or combine with your other insurances.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

There are usually three main types of owner builder insurance you need to consider: Owner Builder Construction Insurance, Public Liability Insurance and Builders Warranty Insurance. It's possible to take out separate policies if you don't want cover for everything. Alternatively, you can chat to a broker about combining insurance.

InsuranceWhat it coversApply
Owner Builder Construction InsuranceLosses during the building process including malicious damage/vandalism, theft, fire damage, storm and wind/water damage.Speak to a broker
Public Liability InsurancePersonal injury and to third parties and property damage e.g. someone getting injured on site.Speak to a broker
Builders Warranty InsuranceDefective or incomplete work e.g. if the builder becomes bankrupt. Note: In some states you may not be able to access this as an owner builder.Speak to a broker

Receive owner builder insurance quotes from a qualified consultant

If you are ready to speak with a consultant about different business insurance options available, simply enter your details in the form. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the different types of cover available.
FBI Lender Logos

Who is actually recognised as an owner builder?

Each Australian state and territory has its own legislation on exactly who constitutes an owner builder, so it’s important to familiarise yourself with the relevant legislation where you live for full details. But as a general rule, an owner builder is someone who constructs or renovates a residential building on their own land, and who is not otherwise employed as a builder.

Owner builders basically act as the general contractor for their building project, hiring out work to subcontractors across a range of trades. They’re also responsible for the building schedule and assume any liability associated with the project, which means they assume all the responsibilities (and associated risks) that a registered builder would normally take on.

State-by-state insurance requirements

Regardless of state, it's good practice to consider insurance like workers compensation and public liability to cover injuries and incidents on the site. However, there are seperate requirements by state to understand:

  1. Contractors need insurance in case they die, disappear or declare themselves bankrupt.
  2. You may need insurance if you sell your property.
StateInsurance requirements during buildingYour insurance requirements when selling the propertyMore info
NSWBuilders, contractors or tradespersons must have home building compensation (HBC) cover for jobs costing more than $20,000. This covers incomplete work.If you selling a house within 7 years and 6 months: You must include a 'consumer warning' in the sale.Learn more
VictoriaBuilders, contractors or tradespersons must have domestic building insurance for jobs costing more than $16,000. This covers incomplete work.If you selling a house within 6 years and 6 months: then an owner builder must have domestic building insurance that covers for issues with the building.Learn more
Western AustraliaBuilders, contractors or tradespersons must have home indemnity insurance for jobs costing more than $20,000. This covers incomplete work.If you selling a house within 7 years: then an owner builder must have home indemnity insurance that covers the purchaser for issues with the building.Learn more
South AustraliaAny building work contractors must take out building indemnity insurance for work costing $12,000 or more to cover completion of work e.g. this covers incomplete work.Claims can be made up to 5 years from the date building work is completed. So it's a good idea to ensure there is building indemnity insurance if selling within 5 years of the building work being completed.Learn more
TasmaniaTo get an owner builder permit you're required to have liability insurance for personal and property damage on the site and construction liability cover for damage to the property where the owner builder has legal control of the premise the premise. The minimum amount of cover is $5 million.N/ALearn more

What types of owner builder insurance are there?

Owner builder will generally need to consider the following types of cover:

  • Construction insurance
  • Public liability insurance
  • Builders warranty insurance

If you are an owner builder undertaking your own building project, you will no doubt be hiring some heavy machinery during the construction process. For this reason, you will need to take out Construction Insurance in case the equipment you are using is damaged, stolen or breaks down.

What's covered?

Construction Insurance covers the materials and equipment being used and stored on your building site and usually includes a Liability component to cover you if you injure others or damage third party property while operating your machinery.

As well as covering theft or vandalism of materials and equipment from your site, Construction Insurance policies also often cover electrical or mechanical breakdown of plant and equipment and will compensate you for repairs and any replacement hire costs you incur.

Construction insurance can provide financial protection against a wide range of potential risks faced by owner builders, including:

  • Malicious damage or vandalism to the project or property
  • Theft of goods or materials
  • Fire damage
  • Storm, wind and water damage

If one of the above insured events occurs, the most the insurer will pay is the full replacement cost for the insured project as shown on your policy schedule. Most insurers will also pay for a range of additional expenses when an insured event occurs, including:

  • The removal of debris
  • Demolition and disposal of the damaged building works or pre-existing structure
  • Demolition and removal of undamaged parts of the project to allow the project to be reinstated or repaired
  • Professional fees

Can it be used for multiple projects?

Construction Insurance policies are available for single as well as multiple projects and, given that owner builders expose themselves to the same risks as regular builders, it makes good sense to take out this form of insurance in conjunction with Builders Warranty Insurance.

If you’re an owner builder and a member of the public suffers an injury or property damage as a result of the work you are undertaking, an expensive public liability claim could be made against you. Renovations and building works mean that a property is prone to a range of hazards that would not normally be present. Public liability insurance covers third party injury and property damage caused by your negligence, offering crucial protection for your financial wellbeing.

Public liability insurance covers the following losses for owner builders:

  • Damages and compensation resulting from third party injury or property damage
  • The costs and expenses of your legal defence
  • The claimant’s legal costs and expenses for any successful public liability claim against you
  • Public liability for physical damage to or destruction of goods that are in your possession or control, and which arises as though the damage or destruction was damage to property

Cover is provided up to the limit of indemnity for public liability shown in your policy documents, with $5 million a commonly listed coverage limit.

What is Builders Warranty Insurance?

Builders Warranty Insurance is compulsory insurance everyone carrying out residential building work must obtain. In the case of a contract builder hired for a job, it covers the homeowner for a six year period against financial losses resulting from the builder failing to rectify or compensate for defective or incomplete work.

In the case of an owner builder, it covers anyone who purchases the home within that six year period. The period of cover is from the date of acquiring an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection and is six years for structural defects and two years for non-structural defects.

However, the insurance cover only applies if the builder dies, disappears, becomes insolvent or bankrupt during construction or within the set time frames. So disputes regarding defects that aren’t covered would need to be resolved directly between the owner and the builder or between the owner builder and the purchaser.

Builders Warranty Insurance is only required if the residential building work exceeds a certain cost, an amount which varies by state. In SA and the ACT that amount is $12,000, in Victoria it is $16,000 and in NSW and WA it is $20,000.

How much does owner builder insurance cost?

The cost of owner builder insurance is not fixed and needs to be calculated on an individual basis. However, there are certain factors considered by insurers when determining an appropriate premium. These factors include:

  • Type of building. The size and nature of your building will affect the costs of owner builder insurance. The materials used in construction also affect the price you pay.
  • Location. Where your building is located can affect your premium. The specific nature of your building site may also affect the insurance cost.
  • Quality of cover. You always get what you pay for. A really cheap insurance policy will often fail to cover you for everything you need when things go wrong.
  • Extent of construction. Building a completely new structure will cost more in insurance terms than a partial renovation.

Will owner builder insurance cover voluntary workers?

if a voluntary worker on your project were to suffer an injury as a result of an accident while on the job, your owner builder insurance policy won’t provide and cover.

That’s why it may be worth considering taking out a voluntary workers insurance policy to cover the friends and relatives who offer their services as a favour to you. Voluntary workers insurance typically covers:

  • Personal accident. Your policy will pay a lump sum benefit if a worker suffers accidental death or disability.
  • Broken bones. Cover for accidental injuries is included.
  • Ongoing benefit. Ongoing benefits may be available for workers who suffer temporary total disablement as the result of an accident.
  • Medical expenses. The policy will cover resulting medical expenses that are not covered by Medicare.
  • Cover for non-income earners. Domestic home help and student benefits may be offered for injured workers who are not in full-time employment.

Is it compulsory to have owner builder insurance?

While it’s not mandatory to take out owner builder insurance in Australia, this type of cover is definitely worth considering before you begin your building project. From fire and storm damage to theft and vandalism, damage to your project can occur through no fault of your own and could lead to significant expenses.

Similarly, a building site features a range of hazards and risks that would not normally be present at your property, and if they result in property damage or bodily injury to a third party, a public liability claim brought against you could lead to disastrous financial consequences.

I am only doing renovations: will I be covered by my home and contents?

Home and contents insurance policies do offer a range of additional benefits on top of the loss or damage cover they provide for your building and possessions. Depending on your policy, you may receive some cover for your home and contents while renovations or extensions are being undertaken.

  • There may be limited cover for renovation works

However, there are a couple of key risks associated with relying on home and contents cover. First of all, most insurers will only offer a limited level of coverage for renovation works, usually up to a maximum of $50,000. However, not all policies offer this type of cover, and it’s a good idea to notify the insurer of your renovation project and obtain written confirmation of exactly what they will and won’t cover.

  • Cover may be suspended while renovations are being carried out

Many insurers will suspend the home insurance and public liability cover while the renovations or extensions are taking place, especially if they’re above a certain cost limit or particularly complex. This could have a significant impact on the cover for the existing house against loss or damage caused by the building work, as well as on the public liability protection your policy provides.

  • Cover may lapse if home is left vacant

Cover under many home and contents insurance policies will lapse if your home is left vacant for more than a certain period. And when you consider the increased risk of storm, wind and water damage while your property is being renovated, it’s clear just how important it is to ensure that you have adequate insurance cover in place.

Can I get cover if I have already started construction?

Unfortunately, many insurers will not be willing to provide owner builder insurance cover if you have already started your construction project. With this in mind, it’s recommended that you find the right owner builder insurance policy before starting work, especially if you are relying on financing from a lender to complete the project – without the proper insurance in place, you may have trouble finding a lender who will let you borrow the funds you need to finish the construction.

There are some insurers that may offer you cover for projects that have already commenced, but the cover will typically cost more than it would have if you had taken out a policy before starting work.

Other types of cover worth considering as an owner builder

Income Protection Insurance

Working on a construction site exposes you to a much higher risk of injury than you may normally have. If you suffered an injury and were unable to work, income protection insurance is designed to offer an ongoing benefit to replace your regular income. Most policies will replace up to 75 per cent of your pre-disability income, allowing you to continue to meet your ongoing expenses until you are fit enough to return to work and start earning an income again.

Personal Accident Insurance

Personal accident insurance offers crucial protection against the risks associated with being an owner builder and working on a construction site. This type of insurance offers lump sum benefits in the case of accidental death or disability, and weekly benefits if you’re totally or partially disabled for a temporary period as a result of an accident. This type of cover is usually reasonably affordable and helps protect your income and the progress of your construction project if you suffer an injury on the job.

Find owner builder insurance with the help of an adviser

Picture: Shutterstock

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

4 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MarnieJanuary 21, 2017

    Why does this website have a quote for business insurance facility on the owner builder page? I need a quote for owner builder insurance not business insurance.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardJanuary 30, 2017Staff

      Hi Marnie,

      Apologies for the delayed response. AustBrokers provide quotes for owner builder insurance, which is why that form is on the page.

      All the best,

    Default Gravatar
    PaulAugust 18, 2014

    Dear finder Team,
    We are a church organisation and intend to renovate 2 stories office building in South Melbourne (VIC) and use it as our place of assembly and office. We have engaged Professionals (Architect and engineers) and a Building Permit has been issued. Our current Renovation cost is around $400.000. We want to do a lot of work our self as owner builder and need ‘Owner builder Insurance cover’ with Public Liability of $5.000.000.Can you arrange for us?
    Thank you and kind regards,

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardAugust 18, 2014Staff

      Hi Paul,

      Thanks for your question.

      If you fill out the Owner Builder Insurance Quote form, a broker will be in touch with you to help you find a policy.

      I hope this was helpful,

Go to site