How to buy Qantas Frequent Flyer Points
Coming up slightly short for a Qantas Reward Flight or upgrade? Here's how to purchase Qantas Points, and whether it's worth it.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you’re eyeing a Qantas Reward Flight redemption or Business Class upgrade but are just shy of the Qantas Frequent Flyer points required, you might be able to top up those points with cash. Here's how to go about it.
When can I buy Qantas Frequent Flyer Points?
These are the rules for when you want to buy more Qantas Points:
- Points are sold in blocks of 1,000. You can purchase a minimum of 1,000 points up to a maximum of 150,000 points at one time. (There's a full list of the available points amounts below.)
- The number of points you can buy will vary depending on your current Qantas Frequent Flyer Point balance.
- You can purchase points up to 4 times in a 12-month period.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer may change the dollar amount required for top-up points at any time, without notice.
- You can only buy top-up points for your own Qantas Frequent Flyer account. It isn't possible to buy points for someone else, though you could purchase points and then transfer them to a family member (subject to family transfer rules).
- You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program for at least 30 days before buying points.
How much do Qantas Frequent Flyer Points cost?
Qantas doesn't publish its own table of points pricing anymore, so we've done the hard work and pulled a full list of the current pricing below. (Prices accurate as of 30 October 2019).
We've also listed how much you'll pay per 1,000 Qantas Points. That rate ranges from $56 to $26.66. Whatever you're paying, make sure the ultimate value of what you're redeeming for is higher. If you're paying $30 per 1,000 Qantas Points but redeeming for a reward with an effective value of $25 per 1,000 Qantas Points, that's a bad value deal. Check out our guide to what a Qantas Point is worth to learn more.
|Qantas Points||Price||Cost/1,000 points|
You can find current points costs by logging in to your account, going to the Qantas top-up points page and selecting how many points you want to buy.
How do I buy Qantas Frequent Flyer Points?
- Go to the top-up points page on the Qantas website and log into your frequent flyer account.
- Select the number of points you want to buy, accept the terms and conditions and hit the payment button.
- Enter your credit card or debit card details and confirm the payment. You can pay with a valid Visa, Mastercard or American Express card.
Alternatively, you can buy points by contacting the Frequent Flyer Service Centre at 13 11 31 between 7am and 7pm (AEST), Mondays to Saturdays. A service fee of $35 applies for purchases made over the phone.
Things to consider before buying Qantas Points
- Purchasing the points does not guarantee that you'll earn a reward flight or upgrade.
- Once purchased, points cannot be refunded.
- As we've noted, depending on the number of points you need to buy and the market cost of the Reward Flight or upgrade you're trying to redeem, it may not be worthwhile to buy points.
Before buying points, consider your alternatives. Bonus points offers for Qantas Wine often cost a similar amount as buying points directly. If you can get the same number of points for the same money and buy a case of wine into the bargain, that's a better deal.
You may also be better off paying full fare for your flight now and accumulating more points and status credits towards your next redemption, rather than buying points to redeem the flight. Paying for points makes the most sense if you're very close to being able to earn a high-value reward.
More guides on Finder
Xbox Series S: Where to buy in Australia
Xbox Series S is a lower-cost alternative to the Xbox Series X. Here's a list of stores where you can buy the console for the best price.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Citi Rewards Card – Points & Gift Card Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Red Energy Business review April 2021
Earn Qantas Points every time you pay your bill with business plans from Red Energy.
Where to buy the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti graphics card in Australia
Looking to upgrade your gaming PC with the latest mid-range graphics card? Then you need the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. Here's where to buy it in Australia.
Where to buy the PlayStation 5 in Australia [Updated]
The fifth PlayStation console is set to launch on 12 November. We've rounded up all the places you can buy the PS5 in Australia.
Where to buy the Xbox Series X in Australia [Updated]
Microsoft's next-gen Xbox has officially launched. Here are all the places you can buy the Xbox Series X in Australia.
Get 15% bonus when you transfer Flybuys to Velocity
The top offer for maximising Flybuys is back again, here's how to use it.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert