Professional indemnity insurance for travel agents

Professional indemnity insurance for travel agents protects you if you make a mistake, are accused of negligence or sued.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Whether you're collecting customer payments or providing visa advice, you perform a wide range of duties as travel agent. Unfortunately, this means there's always a risk that you'll be accused of failing to perform your duties. With professional liability insurance though, you'll be covered for legal fees if someone tries to sue you. If you are found to be negligent, it can also pay for damages.

Get professional indemnity insurance quotes for travel agents

Get quotes online Speak to a broker

Compare Travel Agent Professional Indemnity Cover

If you are ready to speak with a consultant about different business insurance options available, simply enter your details in the form. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the different types of cover available.
FBI Lender Logos

What does Professional Indemnity Insurance Cover?

A typical professional indemnity insurance policy will cover you for a range of things including:

  • Costs associated with court attendance and legal advice
  • Loss of monies for which you are legally liable
  • Negligence claims from errors or incorrect advice
  • Civil liability claims resulting from your business activities
  • Intellectual property rights infringements such as copyright or trademark breaches
  • Loss of documents for which you are legally responsible
  • Run-off cover to cover claims arising at a later date from a previous business or practice
  • Public relations expenses incurred in protecting your reputation, if damaged by a claim
  • Costs associated with official investigations and enquiries.

A wide range of professionals take out Pl Insurance including doctors, lawyers, consultants, engineers, builders, IT professionals and also travel agents, whose particular needs are the focus of this article.

How do I compare indemnity cover for travel agents?

The best way to find the right professional indemnity insurance is to compare a number of policies from different insurers. Some of the things you should look for when comparing include:

  • The amount of excess you must pay and whether it includes or excludes costs (legal fees)
  • Whether the policy includes run-off cover (cover for work you performed in the past)
  • Whether there are adequate reinstatements of the insured amount, in case you have more than one claim in a year
  • Whether the policy provides cover worldwide or only within Australia
  • Whether the policy is specific to travel agents and clearly defines the exposures that are covered
  • What exclusions apply and whether they overly diminish your cover
  • The cost of the premiums and whether they reflect the cover provided
  • Whether the premiums are CPI-indexed to keep pace with inflation.

Consider an adviser

Professional indemnity insurance policies vary widely with insurers, so given that you will be seeking protection from claims that could run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, it would be wise to seek advice from an insurance broker or your industry association, if you are at all unsure about what a policy contains.

Will I need public liability cover?

Public liability insurance is usually offered at the time of taking out professional indemnity insurance. Why would a travel agent need it? The same reason as any professional who deals with the public, to protect themselves from claims of personal injury or property damage.

As a travel agent, you undoubtedly have a place of business and when clients visit you there, you are exposed to the possibility of them slipping, falling, tripping or any manner of accidents that could occur on your premises.

It will usually cover your business, including subsidiary companies and your employees, provided they are performing their normal duties at the time of an incident.

What is doesn't cover

It will not cover any unlawful activity on your part or deliberate acts of damage or injury. Public liability insurance is usually very affordable and is a must-have for any business that has dealings with the general public, including travel agents.

Find out more about public liability insurance

Can I get income protection for myself or for my employees?

Yes you can. Income protection is a seperate type of cover to indemnity. This type of insurance provides you with income replacement in the event of an injury or serious illness that leaves you unable to work.

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions about Professional Indemnity Insurance

Q: Why do I need PI insurance?

  • A: Because if a claim of negligence, error or omission is made against you, you will have to defend yourself in court, whether there are grounds to the claim or not and legal fees are not cheap.

Q: What is a professional?

  • A: A professional is anyone who provides advice or services in a professional capacity in accordance with an established discipline.

Q: What is the definition of negligence?

  • A: A failure to fulfil your duty of care towards another, with the result that they suffer a loss.

Q: How much cover do I need?

  • A: Normally at least $1 million, but a lot of businesses choose cover for between $5 million and $10 million.

Q: How do I apply for PI insurance?

  • A: The application process can be relatively easy these days. You can usually fill out an application form online, give any necessary additional information over the telephone and have cover within 24 hours.

Q: What does Civil Liability Indemnity mean?

  • A: It indemnifies you for claims that arise from strict liability, where negligence is not an issue.

Q: What is a costs-inclusive excess and a costs-exclusive excess?

  • A: A costs-inclusive excess means the excess you pay goes towards the legal costs, while a costs-exclusive excess lets you pay it towards the settlement instead, giving you a breathing space before it must be paid.

Q. What is the retroactive date?

  • A: The retroactive date is the date from which you are covered by the policy for any act of negligence, error or omission.

Q: At what point should I notify my insurer about a circumstance that could possibly lead to a claim?

  • A: As soon as you become aware of it, otherwise your cover could be denied due to a 'known circumstance'.
Back to top

What is the Travel Compensation Fund (TCF)?

The Travel Compensation Fund (TCF) was a regulatory framework for travel agents introduced back in 1986 to compensate customers who suffered losses when travel agents went bankrupt and failed to provide refunds or equivalent travel arrangements.

It was replaced in 2013 by the Travel Industry Transition Plan, which aimed to phase out by July 2014 both the Travel Compensation Fund and compulsory licensing for travel agents.

The growth in online travel agents and direct bookings was seen to have reduced the relevance of the TCF and was unfairly disadvantaging local travel agents, whose online competitors were not subject to the same regulations.

The old system has now been replaced with a voluntary industry-operated and accredited system for travel agents and a consumer advocacy body to deal with consumer issues.

Given that the TCF no longer exists, professional indemnity insurance has never been more important for travel agents, as clients who suffer financial losses will now be seeking compensation through any means at their disposal.

IMPORTANT: Travel agents no longer need to be licensed or be member of the Travel Compensation Fund (TCF). If something does go wrong, only consumers who purchased products before 01/06/2014 will be eligible for compensation for their losses from the TCF.

Back to top

Apply for Professional Indemnity Insurance for Travel Agents

As can be seen, travel agents provide a wide range of services to their clients and in doing so, expose themselves to a variety of different risks. Therefore, professional indemnity insurance should be a key part of any travel agent's insurance portfolio, particularly now that the industry has been largely deregulated.

Back to top

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    GregAugust 16, 2017

    Hi, I am looking for a quote on getting Travel Agent indemnity insurance. My business partner and myself both work independently from home. Would like to speak with an advisor please.

      Default Gravatar
      JonathanAugust 16, 2017

      Hello Greg,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      You can fill out the form “Compare Travel Agent Professional Indemnity Cover” and click “Enquire Now” green button to have your details forwarded to a licensed insurance advisor.

      Hope this helps.


Go to site