How to maximise your tax return as an investor

Property can be an incredibly tax-effective investment strategy, if you’re armed with the right information.


Fact checked

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Australia has a unique love affair with property as an investment class. Not only is bricks and mortar seen as a safe investment, but Australia’s tax code means property investors can see enormous benefits at tax time. To make sure you’re getting the most out of your investment property, it’s important to understand the tax benefits available to investors.

Get professional tax help with your investment property

Would you like to receive a call from the Property Tax Specialists to help assist in minimising tax? (Fees apply)
Sorry to make an enquiry about your situation, Property Tax Specialist will need get in contact with you
Speak to the Property Tax Specialists

By submitting this form, you agree to Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
Property Tax Specialists Logo

The Property Tax Specialists are an award-winning leader in the Australian taxation field, with strengths in accounting, marketing and business. They can help with matters of asset protection, property investing, accounting and taxation, including capital gains tax enquiries. Fill out this form with your query to get into contact with an expert from Property Tax Specialists today.

Deductions you can take

There are a number of immediate deductions available to property investors, as well as items that can be depreciated over the life of the home. Australia’s taxation system offers generous concessions to investors and allows them to deduct the following:

Home loan interest

The interest on a property investment loan is fully tax deductible. For this reason, many investors choose interest-only home loans. These loans allow investors to pay only the interest portion of the loan without making payments on the principal. This maximises investors’ tax deductible debt.

In addition to the interest on an investment loan, any accompanying bank charges are also deductible.


Any home and contents insurance, landlord’s insurance or other insurance related to the investment property is deductible.

Property repairs and maintenance

Investors can deduct any ongoing repairs and maintenance of their investment property. Maintenance is any work carried out to prevent or fix deterioration, and can include things like gardening, plumbing or pest control.

Repairs are any works carried out to restore part of the property to its original state of function.

A word about repairs versus improvements

While repairs can be deducted during the tax year in which they occur, improvements to a property cannot. An improvement differs from a repair in that, while a repair restores an item to its original condition, an improvement alters the original condition. For more read our guide about repairs versus improvements.

Costs to rent your property

Property investors can deduct costs pertaining to offering their property for rent. This includes any agent fees, ongoing property management fees and administrative costs. You can also deduct any outlay for advertising your property and travelling to and from the property.


Land taxes and council taxes are fully deductible.


In addition to expenses you can deduct for the tax year in which they occur, property investors can also depreciate assets within a property that decline in value over time. These include things like appliances, carpets, curtains and furniture. However, these must be items purchased by you rather than a previous owner.

Investors can also depreciate building construction costs for things such as major renovations or additions.

Read our guide on property depreciation

Negative gearing

Negative gearing is one of the most attractive tax benefits for property investors. The policy is a tax minimisation strategy that allows investors to deduct losses on their rental property from their personal income.

The idea behind negative gearing is to offset cash flow losses in the short term with an eye toward long-term capital gains. This doesn’t mean, however, that negatively geared property investors have to be out-of-pocket at the end of the tax year. With depreciation factored in, a property can be cashflow positive but still be negatively geared. Read our guide for an example of how you can negatively gear a property, but still generate cash flow.

Capital gains tax

Capital gains tax, or CGT, is tax paid on the sale of any asset on which you’ve made a profit. While CGT will only affect your tax bill when the property is sold, it’s helpful to understand how CGT is calculated so you can minimise your bill when you do decide to sell.

CGT on an investment property is calculated based on the sale price of the property minus what’s known as your cost base. The cost base of the property is the original purchase price, plus any expenses. Expenses for CGT purchases include the following:

Ownership costs

Ownership costs include things like:

  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Council rates
  • Home loan interest
  • Land taxes
  • Insurance

Improvement costs

These include any capital works you’ve undertaken on the property.

Title costs

Title costs are any fees associated with organising the title on your property.

Incidental costs

These include legal fees, agent fees, advertising and marketing fees, and stamp duty.

In order to minimise the amount you pay in CGT, it’s important to keep very detailed records of all expenses related to your investment property. To see how to best minimise your CGT bill, read our guide to CGT on property.

If you’ve held the investment property longer than 12 months, you will be eligible for a 50% discount on the capital gains tax.

Compare loans for property investment

Data indicated here is updated regularly
Name Product Interest Rate (p.a.) Comp. Rate^ Application Fee Ongoing Fees Max LVR Monthly Payment
Athena Variable Home  Loan
$0 p.a.
Investors with large 40% deposits or equity can get this low variable rate. A competitive option for investors looking to refinance.
UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate
$0 p.a.
Get a discounted, low-fee investor loan from a convenient online lender. 20% deposit required. Low Rate Home Loan with Offset
$0 p.a.
This investment loan keeps fees low, has a sharp interest rate and comes with a 100% offset account. This loan is not available for construction.
UBank UHomeLoan Fixed
$0 p.a.
Investors can enjoy flexible repayments and an easy application process with this pioneering online lender.
Athena Variable Home  Loan
$0 p.a.
A competitive investor variable rate that falls as you build equity.
Pepper Money Essential Prime Full Doc Home Loan
$10 monthly ($120 p.a.)
This is a competitive, flexible variable rate suitable for borrowers with a good credit history. Borrow up to 80%.
Athena Variable Home  Loan
$0 p.a.
Athena's refinance offer for investors and owner occupiers.
UBank UHomeLoan Fixed
$0 p.a.
Pay no ongoing fees on this investment loan fixed for 3 years.
ING Orange Advantage Loan
$299 p.a.
Investors can enjoy a 100% offset account, a redraw facility and flexible repayments.
UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate
$0 p.a.
Pay interest only repayments with this special offer for investors.

Compare up to 4 providers

Aussie Home Loans Logo

Enter your details and get a free consultation with an expert broker from Aussie.

By submitting this form, you agree to the Finder Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use

Applications are subject to approval. Conditions, fees and charges apply. Please note that you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.

Credit services for Aussie Select, Aussie Activate and Aussie Elevate products are provided by AHL Investments Pty Ltd ACN 105 265 861 (“Aussie”) and its appointed credit representatives, Australian Credit Licence 246786. Credit for Aussie Select products is provided by Residential Mortgage Group Pty Ltd ACN 152 378 133, Australian Credit Licence 414133 (“RMG”). RMG is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 234945. Credit for Aussie Activate products is provided by Pepper Finance Corporation Limited ACN 094 317 647 (“Pepper”). Pepper Group Limited ACN 094 317 665, Australian Credit Licence 286655 acts on behalf of Pepper. Credit services for Aussie Elevate products are provided by AHL Investments Pty Ltd ACN 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786 (“Aussie”) and its appointed credit representatives. Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861. Credit and any applicable offset accounts for Aussie Elevate are issued by Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited ABN 11 068 049 178 AFSL / Australian Credit Licence 237879.

Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd. Aussie is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124. ©2020 AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786.

By submitting this form, you agree to the Aussie privacy policy.

After entering your details a mortgage broker from Aussie will call you. They will discuss your situation and help you find a suitable loan.

  • A comparison of home loans from multiple lenders.
  • Expert guidance through the entire application process.
  • Free suburb and property reports.

Aussie Home Loans Lender Logos

The Adviser’s number 1 placed mortgage broker 8 years running (2013-2020)

Image: Shutterstock

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

4 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    SarahlyJanuary 3, 2017

    I went to overseas and rented out my residential property in year 2007, and I came back and live in year 2015. If I want to sell this property, can you please tell me how I should calculate the capital gain taxes.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MayJanuary 3, 2017Staff

      Hi Sarahly,

      Thank you for your question and for contacting we are a financial comparison website and general information service we are not mortgage specialists so can only offer general advice.

      The capital gains tax (CGT) is generally determined on how long you were living in your previous main residence and, if applicable, how long the residence was rented out for. If you are no longer treating your previous home as your main residence, then the CGT will be based on the valuation of the home when you first lived there, or you first began to rent it out. We’d recommend that you speak with an accountant to learn more.


      Default Gravatar
      SarahlyJanuary 3, 2017

      Thanks May,

      thank you so much for your reply. I was an non-resident for tax purpose from year 2007 to year 2015, and I rented out my residential property. I returned Australia in year 2015, and become a resident, and live in my residential home.

      Can you please tell me if I am entitle to have the 50% capital gains tax discount for the rented period during my living aboard in overseas from year 2007 to year 2015.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MayJanuary 6, 2017Staff

      Hi Sarahly,

      Thanks for getting back and sorry for the delay.

      If your intention was to rent it out, but you have changed your mind and lived in it, in that case, basically, the CGT you have to pay will be computed based on comparing the number of days you lived in the property to the number of days you rented the property. For the computation and for a more comprehensive advice whether you will be eligible for the partial CGT or not, best to reach out a tax accountant.


Go to site