Protect up to 75% of your income if you can't work due to illness or injury with CommInsure
With CommInsure Income Protection, you can choose up to three different levels of protection and customise your insurance to closely meet your financial needs if you can't work due to serious illness or injury. You can choose the level of protection, waiting period, benefit period and portion of income to insure so you can get protection that meets your cover requirements and budget.
This review will provide an overview of the different income cover options available from CommInsure and important features of your policy you should know about. If your ready to receive a quote for cover, simply enter your details in the form below and a consultant will be in touch.
- What does CommInsure Income Protection cover?
- CommInsure Income Protection additional options to consider
- How much will CommInsure Income Protection cost?
- Conditions for benefit payment
- What is the age of eligibility for CommInsure Income Protection?
- Exclusions to be aware of
- CommInsure Income Protection - other things to know
CommInsure Income Protection can pay you up to 75% of your regular income if you can’t work because of illness or injury. It offers a choice of three levels of income protection including:
- Income Care & Income Care Plus provides total and partial disability benefits due to illness or injury, even when you're working reduced hours
- Essential Cover covers accidents only at a discounted premium
- Business Overheads Insurance helps pay the operating expenses of your small business if you can’t work due to illness or injury.
Depending on your level of cover, the benefits provided by CommInsure Income Protection include:
- Total Disability Benefit provides a monthly benefit if you can’t work due to a disability.
- Partial Disability Benefit provides a partial monthly benefit if you can only work at a reduced capacity due to a disability.
- Recurrent Disability Benefit provides continuation of payment if you suffer a relapse, without a further waiting period.
- Boosted Total Disability Benefit increases your monthly benefit to 100% of your income if you are totally disabled by a serious medical condition.
- Medical Professionals Benefit provides a lump-sum payment for medical professionals who can’t work due to HIV or hepatitis.
- Reward Cover Benefit provides up to $100,000 of free accidental death cover when you maintain your policy for three years.
- Rehabilitation Benefit provides a benefit for up to 12 months if you are totally disabled and participate in an approved rehabilitation program.
- Unemployment Cover Benefit provides a benefit for up to three months to help make your CommInsure loan repayments when unemployed for more than 60 days.
- Death Benefit provides a lump sum payment of $10,000 to help with expenses if you die.
|Included benefits||Income Care, Income Care Plus||Income Care Super||SMSF Plan|
|Total Disability Benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Partial Disability Benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Recurrent Disability Benefit||Yes||No||No|
|Boosted Total Disability Benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Medical Professionals benefit||Yes||No||No|
|Reward Cover benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Unemployment Cover benefit||Yes||No||No|
|Other Premium waivers||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Waiver of waiting period for specific conditions||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Reduced waiting period||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Looking for more flexible cover?
Other built-in features of CommInsure Income Protection designed to give you greater flexibility in your cover include:
- No premium payments while receiving Total or Partial Disability benefits
- No premium payments for up to six months if you become unemployed, go on parental leave or suffer financial hardship
- No waiting period to receive a Total or Partial Disability benefit if you are suffering from a specified medical condition
- Automatic annual cover increases to keep pace with inflation
- The ability to increase your monthly benefit by up to 10% once in any three-year period without providing further medical evidence
- A reduced waiting period for income protection taken out to complement an existing policy
- Extended coverage to age 70 if you reach 65 and still have income protection cover.
CommInsure Income Protection also offers a range of additional options to make your cover more flexible, including:
- Permanent Disablement Cover. which provides a lump-sum payment instead of monthly payments
- Premium Saver. which lowers your premiums if you limit your monthly benefit payments for mental illness claims to 24 months
- Total Temporary Disability Cover. which lowers premiums in return for restricted benefits
- Accident cover. which pays a benefit for three days during the waiting period for a total disablement claim due to injury
- Super Continuance. which allows you to cover your super as well as your income
- Cash Back. which gives you a partial refund of your premium if you don’t make a claim during the life of your policy.
Premium rates are set for the first 12 months of a policy and may change after that time. Premium rate options include level premiums, where your premiums don’t increase as you get older, and stepped premiums, where they do. Other factors that affect how your premium is calculated include:
- Your age. The older you are, the higher your premium.
- Your health. The better your health, the lower your premium.
- Your gender. Mortality and illness rates differ between men and women.
- Your occupation. The higher your occupation risk class, the higher your premiums.
- Your smoker status. Smokers pay more for insurance than non-smokers.
- Your activities. The riskier the sporting or recreational activities you pursue, the higher your premiums will be.
- The options you choose. The more options you select, the more you will pay for cover.
- The cover you select. The higher the benefit limits you opt for, the more you will pay for your premiums.
Claims made under CommInsure Income Protection policies must be lodged as soon as possible after an incident (no later than three months). You will need to:
- Contact the claims department on 13 10 56 to have a claims kit sent to you
- Fill out the claim form with your medical practitioner and include proof of age and any financial records or other supporting documentation requested
- Undergo a medical examination if requested
If your claim is ongoing, you’ll also need to provide regular evidence of your state of health.Back to top
The eligible age range for CommInsure Income Protection depends on your policy type or the occupation class you are in;
- Level premiums – 17 to 54
- Stepped premiums – 17 to 59
- Aviation occupation class – 19 to 54
- Specialist risk occupations – 17 to 49.
Cover ends for all income protection policies on the policy anniversary before you turn 60 or 65. The exception is when you still have income protection at age 65, in which case cover can be extended to age 70.Back to top
As with all income protection policies, certain exclusions apply. Circumstances in which CommInsure Income Protection will not be provided include:
- Accidental Death Cover. If death was the result of suicide, drugs or alcohol, criminal activity or an act of war.
- Unemployment Cover. If the insured isn’t paying off a CommInsure loan, is not continuously unemployed, or if the unemployment occurred outside Australia or was the result of serious misconduct, casual or seasonal work ending, resignation, voluntary redundancy or retirement.
- Essential Cover. If the accident is a dental injury, self-inflicted or the result of attempted suicide, drugs or alcohol, war or a pre-existing medical condition.
Other things to be aware of with CommInsure Income Protection:
- Cooling off period. If you change your mind about your policy, you have 28 days to inform the insurer to receive a full refund. This must be in writing, and your policy must be attached.
- Link with other cover. Your CommInsure Income Protection policy can be linked with other forms of cover. For example, package your Business Overheads Insurance with Income Care or Income Care Plus and you’ll receive a 10% discount on your premiums.
- Flexible payment options. You can pay your premiums monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annually, although paying annually will avoid a frequency charge of 4% or 8%.
Flexible premium structure. As previously mentioned, you have the choice of level or stepped premiums. Stepped premiums are cheaper early on and get more expensive, particularly after age 50, whereas level premiums cost more at first but usually become more affordable later in life as you accumulate more wealth.
Looking to receive a quote for Commonwealth Bank Income Protection?
If your interested in receiving a quote for CommInsure Income Protection or just want to find out more, you can make a secure enquiry via the form located above. A consultant will provide you with a quote for cover and explain any of the features you are not sure of. Once you have found suitable cover, they will assist you through the application process.