How to earn Velocity Points with Coles and Flybuys
Earn Velocity Points and status credits on your grocery shopping to boost your frequent flyer balance with Coles and flybuys.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Velocity and Flybuys partnership lets you to get frequent flyer benefits for your shopping at Coles and other Flybuys program partners. When you link your Flybuys and Velocity accounts, you can convert Flybuys points into Velocity Points at a rate of 1,000 Flybuys for 500 Velocity Points. You can also earn 1 Velocity Status Credit per $100 spent at Coles, Liquorland and First Choice Liquor (up to 10 Status Credits per month).
This guide looks at how you can link your rewards accounts to earn Velocity Points at Coles, the terms and conditions to be aware of and the most commonly asked questions about the Flybuys and Velocity partnership.
Jump to a section on this guide
- How many Velocity Points can I earn at Coles?
- How to link Flybuys account to Velocity Frequent Flyer account
- Where to earn Flybuys points
- How to convert Flybuys to Velocity Points
- Earning Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits at Coles
- What to remember when earning Velocity Points with Flybuys
- Frequently asked questions
How can I earn Velocity rewards at Coles?
In order to get Velocity Points and Status Credits for your shopping at Coles and other Flybuys partners, you need to have active memberships for both loyalty programs. Signing up is easy and can be done online, with both Flybuys and Velocity offering membership free of charge.
Once you are a member of these programs, the next step is to link your membership accounts so you can start getting frequent flyer benefits at Coles supermarkets and other Flybuys partners.
How many Velocity Points can I earn at Coles?
Note that this calculator is based on the assumption of earning 870 Velocity Points for every 2,000 Flybuys points. The current rate in March 2021 is 1,000 Flybuys points to 500 Velocity Points.
How do I link my Flybuys account to my Velocity Frequent Flyer account?
You can follow the steps below to link your Flybuys and Velocity accounts online in just a few minutes:
- Go to www.flybuys.com.au and log in to your account.
- Click on “My Account” and then select “Linked Accounts” from the menu.
- Select “Velocity Frequent Flyer” from the list of partners you can link with.
- Enter your Velocity membership number, full name and date of birth, then click “Add account” to complete the process.
After you have linked your accounts, you can start enjoying Velocity reward benefits through the Flybuys program.
Where can I earn points?
Your Flybuys membership allows you to earn points for your spending at Coles supermarkets, co-branded Coles and Shell service stations, Kmart, Target, First Choice Liquor and other program partners. Most of these partners offer 1 Flybuys point per $1 spent, and a minimum of 1,000 Flybuys points are needed to redeem 500 Velocity Points.
How do I convert Flybuys to Velocity Points?
1,000 Flybuys points are needed to redeem 500 Velocity Points. You can convert your Flybuys points using the following steps:
- Log in to your Flybuys account.
- Select the “Rewards” tab.
- Click on the “Travel & Fun” category.
- Scroll down to “Travel” and select “Velocity Frequent Flyer”.
- Choose the number of points you wish to convert, agree to the terms and conditions and click “Transfer now” to finalise the redemption.
Alternatively, you can make a redemption by calling the Flybuys Service Centre on 13 11 16.
Earning Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits at Coles
Status Credits are designed to help you move up in Velocity membership levels, with each level offering more privileges such as higher point earning rates, lounge access and additional baggage allowances. Below are the key details of how to earn Velocity Status Credits at Coles.
- Spending requirements. When you shop at Coles, Coles Online, Liquorland or First Choice Liquor and provide your Flybuys details, you will earn 1 Status Credit for every $100 spent. Note that only whole Status Credits will be awarded.
- Monthly limits. You can earn up to a maximum of 10 Status Credits per month. This is equivalent to $1,000 spending at participating stores.
- Account details. At the end of each calendar month, the Status Credits you’ve earned through Flybuys will be added to your Velocity account. Note that it may take up to two weeks after the end of the month for Status Credits to be reflected on your Velocity membership.
What to remember when earning Velocity Points with Flybuys
Keep the following factors in mind to help you make the most of this Flybuys and Velocity partnership.
- Linked Flybuys and Velocity accounts. Only one Velocity membership can be linked to a Flybuys household at any one time. This linked Velocity Frequent Flyer member will earn Status Credits when they scan their Flybuys card on eligible purchases at Coles, Coles Online, Liquorland and First Choice Liquor, and can also transfer Flybuys points to their account. The linked Velocity membership can be changed at any time by any member of the Flybuys household.
- Minimum points transfer. There is a minimum transfer of 1,000 Flybuys points for 500 Velocity Points.
- Points earn rate. Most Flybuys partners offer 1 Flybuys point per $1 spent, which works out to be 0.5 Velocity Points per $1 after conversion. This is comparable with the transfer rate for Everyday Rewards to Qantas Points.
- Points expiry. Both Flybuys and Velocity have specific conditions around points expiry. For Flybuys, your points will not expire as long as you collect or redeem points at least once a year. For Velocity, your points will not expire as long as you are an active member, which requires you to earn or redeem points within a 24-month period.
- Eligible purchases. Eligible spending for Status Credits excludes tobacco and tobacco-related products, charity donations and gift card purchases.
- Velocity status tiers. Velocity members also need to fly on Virgin Australia marketed flights to earn Eligible Sectors in addition to Status Credits to upgrade or maintain a new level of membership.
If you’re a Velocity member, this partnership gives you an easy way to earn frequent flyer points and Status Credits for your grocery shopping. If you don’t regularly fly with Virgin Australia, you may want to consider transferring Flybuys points to Etihad Guest Miles or look at earning Qantas Points through Everyday Rewards so that you can get frequent flyer benefits for your preferred program.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Today’s ASX top stocks: 8Vi Holdings (8VI ↑23.6%), Avita Medical (AVH ↑12.6%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Wednesday 16 June 2021.
Introducing the Finder app
The Finder app is a powerful savings tool that tracks your money and finds you new ways to save. Download today.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Amazon Prime Day top beauty buys: 40% off FOREO, GHD, L’Oreal
From makeup to skincare to haircare, these are the hot beauty offers we're expecting to see this Prime Day.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen will square off in what's being called Termination Day.
eBay kitchen EOFY sale: 75% off with these discount codes
Score up to 75% off cookwares and kitchen appliances when you add these 'hidden' discount codes during the eBay EFOY sale.
Why did the Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) share price drop?
Shares in the beverage maker had lifted nearly 15% since February.
Amazon Prime Day: Top hacks for Australians in the 2021 sales
From when to shop to how to split the cost of your purchase, we’ve got you covered this Prime Day.
How to invest in the Charger Metals IPO
Everything we know about the Charger Metals IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Editor’s Picks from the Nasty Gal x We The Wild Ones new edit
Ultimate cool gals Lucy and Nikki just dropped the rock n roll edit of our dreams and here's how you can get 60% off at the checkout.
Ask an Expert