Compare green personal loans
Make a positive investment by borrowing money to help you live a greener lifestyle.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Home solar, electric cars and energy-efficient systems for air conditioning or hot water can save you a lot of money in the long run. Whether you’re just a bit short on cash or want to finance an efficient system outright, green personal loans can step in to help you take advantage of these opportunities.
How does a green personal loan work?
These personal loans can generally be put towards an approved range of energy and cost-saving purchases. The loan terms can be flexible, and may vary depending on your purchase.
- Secured and unsecured. You can find both secured and unsecured green loans.
- Varying repayment periods. Terms range from as little as 6 months to as long as 7 years.
- Flexible borrowing limits. There are a lot of potential purchases that qualify for green loans, reflected in a wide range of borrowing limits to suit different items.
- Early repayments. You’ll often be able to make early repayments without penalty.
Compare green Personal loans
|How much you can borrow||Comparison rates||Loan terms available||Features|
Green Personal Loan
|$2,000 minimum||Rates may vary||Loan periods from 1 to 7 years|
|Community First Credit Union|
|$1,000 to $50,000||6.26% p.a.||1 to 10 years|
Green Personal Loan
|$2,000 to $30,000||8.36% p.a.||Up to 7 years|
|Nova Credit Union|
|You may be able to borrow as much or as little as you need, within reason and depending on your situation.||7.45% p.a.||Choose from a flexible range of repayment periods|
Green Personal Loan
|$2,000 to $50,000||6.78% p.a.||Loan periods up to 7 years|
|$2,001 to $45,000||7.81% p.a.||3 to 7 years|
What can a green loan be used for?
Some green loans can only be used with a specific range of items, while others can be put towards almost anything eco-friendly.
Energy-efficient purchases can include almost anything that directly cuts your energy bill, or helps you use less energy.
Green purchases might include:
- Solar hot water heaters
- Home solar panels
- Battery energy storage for new or existing systems
- Electric or hybrid vehicles
- Energy efficient air conditioning or heaters
- Solar pool heaters
- Outdoor awnings
- Rainwater tanks
- Energy-efficient LED lighting
- Double glazing for windows
- Energy efficient appliances
How to compare green loans
Make sure you can put the loan towards your intended purchase. When deciding on a lender, consider features including:
- Interest rates. Look at whether the rates are fixed or variable, and see how it compares to other loan options.
- Comparison rates. Comparison rates for personal loans include built-in fees for the first year of the loan, so you can get more of an idea how loans compare to each other.
- Minimum loan amount. Make sure you can borrow as little, or as much, as suits your needs.
- Application fee. Consider any application fees, and all other fees that may apply.
- Repayment flexibility. Are you able to make early repayments without penalty?
- Security. It is a secured or an unsecured loan?
Things to avoid when taking out a green loan
- Borrowing too much. To maximise your value for money, you may want to only borrow as much as you need, and using savings for the rest, rather than financing more.
- Unlicensed lenders. Make sure you’re dealer with a reputable lender, licensed and listed on the ASIC professional register.
- Excessive fees and charges. Watch out for excessive application fees, and any others which might to be paid.
Frequently asked questions about green loans
Am I eligible for a loan?
Different lenders have different eligibility requirements. To be eligible for a green personal loan you will typically need to be age 18+, an Australian resident and you will need to be using it to improve your environmental efficiency.
How much can I borrow?
The minimum and maximum borrowing amounts vary between lenders, and may depend on what you’re using the money for.
Is it worth using a loan to go green?
It depends on your situation. Sometimes it might be more worthwhile than others. In the long run, buying a $1,000 energy-efficient refrigerator with the help of a $500 loan might be better value than just buying a $500 fridge with your savings.
Similarly, using a green loan to install a home solar system might end up saving someone more than if they had to wait another 5 years.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Bank Australia Commercial Visa credit card
Designed to help you track business spending, this Bank Australia credit card offers cards for employees and interest-free days on purchases.
Brighte Personal Loan
Looking to renovate your home? Find out more about Brighte's personal loan for home improvements and ways in which it may be able to benefit you.
Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card
This card gives you a way to support a program that matches rescue dogs with veterans in need and enjoy a low interest rate on all your spending.
How to buy Samsung’s Galaxy S20 FE for $384
The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE is the cheapest phone in the S20 range at $999. Here's how to get it cheaper.
Razer BlackWidow V3 Tenkeyless gaming keyboard review
The Razer BlackWidow V3 Tenkeyless offers reliable and responsive performance in a small and sturdy package.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Frequent Flyer Diners Club card
Diners Club isn’t as widely accepted as other cards, but you can still earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 at major retailers with this card.
Diners Club Personal Card
Diners Club offers a competitive rewards program, travel and shopping perks and can be used at businesses including Coles, Woolworths and Target.
How useful is a home insurance calculator?
A home insurance calculator can give you a rough estimate on the value of your home and contents. But is that what you really want? Find out how to not underinsure or overinsure your home.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.
Ask an Expert