Compare green personal loans
Make a positive investment by borrowing money to help you live a greener lifestyle.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Home solar, electric cars and energy-efficient systems for air conditioning or hot water can save you a lot of money in the long run. Whether you’re just a bit short on cash or want to finance an efficient system outright, green personal loans can step in to help you take advantage of these opportunities.
How does a green personal loan work?
These personal loans can generally be put towards an approved range of energy and cost-saving purchases. The loan terms can be flexible, and may vary depending on your purchase.
- Secured and unsecured. You can find both secured and unsecured green loans.
- Varying repayment periods. Terms range from as little as 6 months to as long as 7 years.
- Flexible borrowing limits. There are a lot of potential purchases that qualify for green loans, reflected in a wide range of borrowing limits to suit different items.
- Early repayments. You’ll often be able to make early repayments without penalty.
Compare green Personal loans
|How much you can borrow||Comparison rates||Loan terms available||Features|
Green Personal Loan
|$2,000 minimum||Rates may vary||Loan periods from 1 to 7 years|
|Community First Credit Union|
|$1,000 to $50,000||6.26% p.a.||1 to 10 years|
|Humm Green Loan||$1 to $30,000||0% interest.||6 to 60 months|
Green Personal Loan
|$2,000 to $30,000||8.36% p.a.||Up to 7 years|
|Nova Credit Union|
|You may be able to borrow as much or as little as you need, within reason and depending on your situation.||7.45% p.a.||Choose from a flexible range of repayment periods|
Green Personal Loan
|$2,000 to $50,000||6.78% p.a.||Loan periods up to 7 years|
|$2,001 to $45,000||7.81% p.a.||3 to 7 years|
What can a green loan be used for?
Some green loans can only be used with a specific range of items, while others can be put towards almost anything eco-friendly.
Energy-efficient purchases can include almost anything that directly cuts your energy bill, or helps you use less energy.
Green purchases might include:
- Solar hot water heaters
- Home solar panels
- Battery energy storage for new or existing systems
- Electric or hybrid vehicles
- Energy efficient air conditioning or heaters
- Solar pool heaters
- Outdoor awnings
- Rainwater tanks
- Energy-efficient LED lighting
- Double glazing for windows
- Energy efficient appliances
How to compare green loans
Make sure you can put the loan towards your intended purchase. When deciding on a lender, consider features including:
- Interest rates. Look at whether the rates are fixed or variable, and see how it compares to other loan options.
- Comparison rates. Comparison rates for personal loans include built-in fees for the first year of the loan, so you can get more of an idea how loans compare to each other.
- Minimum loan amount. Make sure you can borrow as little, or as much, as suits your needs.
- Application fee. Consider any application fees, and all other fees that may apply.
- Repayment flexibility. Are you able to make early repayments without penalty?
- Security. It is a secured or an unsecured loan?
Things to avoid when taking out a green loan
- Borrowing too much. To maximise your value for money, you may want to only borrow as much as you need, and using savings for the rest, rather than financing more.
- Unlicensed lenders. Make sure you’re dealer with a reputable lender, licensed and listed on the ASIC professional register.
- Excessive fees and charges. Watch out for excessive application fees, and any others which might to be paid.
Frequently asked questions about green loans
Am I eligible for a loan?
Different lenders have different eligibility requirements. To be eligible for a green personal loan you will typically need to be age 18+, an Australian resident and you will need to be using it to improve your environmental efficiency.
How much can I borrow?
The minimum and maximum borrowing amounts vary between lenders, and may depend on what you’re using the money for.
Is it worth using a loan to go green?
It depends on your situation. Sometimes it might be more worthwhile than others. In the long run, buying a $1,000 energy-efficient refrigerator with the help of a $500 loan might be better value than just buying a $500 fridge with your savings.
Similarly, using a green loan to install a home solar system might end up saving someone more than if they had to wait another 5 years.
More guides on Finder
Coles No Annual Fee Mastercard – Exclusive Offer
Enjoy 10,000 bonus points and 12 months interest-free on balance transfers and purchases. Plus, an ongoing $0 annual fee.
86 400 Own home loan – fixed
Check out this flexible fixed rate offer from a digital lender. Rates for home buyers and investors.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
7-Eleven Fuel Pass
Save on fuel at 7-Eleven with this fuel card you can use across the WEX Motorpass network.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
Living DNA vs 23andMe
Choose between two leading DNA testing companies who can help you map your ancestry and genetics.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
AncestryDNA vs MyHeritage
Understand the key points of difference between these two leading DNA testing services.
Kogan Money Black Card – Exclusive Offer
Pay 0% interest on balance transfers and get a $50 Kogan.com Credit with a new Kogan Money Black Card.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 24.79% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 10.5% p.a.
Apply for up to $50,000 to use for a variety of purposes without needing to add security. Available to self-employed applicants.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 7.91% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
Ask an Expert