Enjoy competitive brokerage, fast execution and substantial leverage when you trade forex online with Halifax Investment Services.
This product is no longer available for new applications.
Please refer to our forex trading accounts comparison page for a list of other options.
Halifax is an Australian online trading platform that provides investors with access to a wide range of global markets and asset classes. In addition to shares, options and CFDs, it also offers forex trading across more than 150 major, minor and exotic currency pairs.
There are two trading platforms available, including MetaTrader 4 (MT4), as well as a range of other flexible account features.
Halifax Investment Services provides access to more than 150 currency pairs, including majors such as AUD/USD and USD/EUR, as well as a range of minor and exotic options. To see a full list of the pairs you can trade with Halifax, sign up for an account or contact the provider directly.
What trading platforms are available?
Halifax offers the choice of two trading platforms: Halifax Pro MT4 and Trader WorkStation. The table below outlines the key differences between the two platforms.
|Halifax Pro MT4||Trader WorkStation|
|Suitable for||Beginner, advanced||Intermediate, advanced|
|Devices||Web, mobile, desktop||Mobile, desktop|
|Markets||67 major currency pairs, crosses and exotic pairs, stock exchange indices, energy metals||Forex, shares, futures, options, CFDs, ETFs, bonds|
|Analysis tools||Expert advisor, custom indicators, custom scripts, advanced charts||Market scanner, technical analysis, fundamental research, events calendar, advanced charts|
|Trade from charts||Yes||Yes|
|Order types||Limits, stops, trailing stops, market orders||Limits, stops, trailing stops, market orders, basket, accumulate/distribute|
Features look-up table
|Spread fee - AUD/USD||Not specified|
|Education and resources||Yes|
|Does it offer fixed spreads?||No|
|Is it MetaTrader supported?||Yes|
|Minimum deposit required||$0|
|Demo account available?||Yes|
What are the benefits of using Halifax Investment Services?
- Streamlined process allows you to open an account and start trading within 24 hours
- Wide range of analysis tools including advanced charts and technical analysis
- Mobile trading available from smartphones and tablets
- Flexible payment options to top up your account
- Opening an account with Halifax also provides access to shares, options, CFDs and more
What are the pros and cons of using Halifax Investment Services?
- Currency pairs. Halifax Investment Services allows you to trade across more than 150 currency pairs, including majors and exotics.
- MT4. Halifax provides access to MT4, the world’s most popular trading platform, and all the features it has to offer.
- Flexible trading options. When you trade with Halifax, you can utilise a range of special order types including limits, stops, trailing stops and market orders.
- No info on spreads. There is no information on the minimum spreads available on different currency pairs on the Halifax website.
- No 24-hour support. Customer support is only available on weekdays from 8am to 6pm.
How do I sign up?
If you’d like to open an account with Halifax, click one of the “Apply Now” links on this page. You’ll be taken to the Halifax Investment Services website where you can begin an online application.
You’ll need to choose your account type, enter your name and contact details, and provide some financial information. You can then deposit funds into your account and start trading.
Alternatively, Halifax also offers a free demo account to sample the account features available and get a feel for what it’s like to trade forex.
How long does it take to open an account?
You can open an account with Halifax and start trading in as little as 24 hours.
Does it cost anything to open an account?
No, it is free to open a trading account with Halifax.
What customer support is available?
You can contact a Halifax customer support representative by phone, email or live chat Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm (AEST).