Dirt bike insurance
Ride fearlessly into adventure knowing you’re protected with dirt bike insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Striking out for the dirt tracks and sand dunes of the great Australian outback? Our rugged country is probably one of the best in the world to own a dirt bike given the vast amount of rough and wild land just outside your back door. But veering off the beaten track into the great outdoors comes with its own set of risks, from crashes in dangerous terrain to good old-fashioned theft in less-populated areas. With dirt bike insurance, you can twist the throttle without worrying about the consequences and truly enjoy your time away from civilisation.
Get insurance for your dirt bike
How do I cover my dirt bike?
Dirt bikes can often be covered under standard motorcycle insurance policies, although some providers offer special coverage purely for off-road bikes. Like a normal motorcycle, coverage comes in two main forms: comprehensive, third party property damage and third party fire and theft. Note that while some companies do offer special dirt bike insurance that is usually similar to comprehensive cover, what is specifically offered varies between insurers. As long as your bike is intended to ride off-road (and the manufacturer specifies that) then you’ll probably find that a lot of normal motorcycle insurance policies will cover you.
Comprehensive cover will insure you against most of the mishaps you’ll encounter out in the wide world. It can pay for treatment for any injuries you might sustain while riding, get your bike repaired if it gets roughed up in a collision or even replace the entire thing if it gets swallowed by a flash bushfire. It’s designed to protect you from the widest set of things that could go wrong.
If you don’t want comprehensive, you can instead opt for third party policies. Third party fire and theft means if your bike is stolen or lost in a fire, you’ll be covered. Otherwise, you won’t. It also gives you property damage cover similar to green slip insurance for cars in that it covers legal and medical costs for any injuries or damage caused by your vehicle to other people or their property. It doesn’t protect you against damage to you or your own vehicle.
Third party property damage is the same as the above, but without protection against fire or theft.
What does each dirt bike insurance type cover?
To help compare the types of insurance available, we’ve made a table to help you figure out what is and isn’t typically covered by each.
|Feature||Comprehensive||Third party fire and theft||Third party property damage|
|Damage to someone else’s property|
|Stolen or written off|
|Damage to riding gear|
|Weather damage (hail, storm, flood)|
|Emergency travel and accommodation|
How do I find dirt bike scooter insurance?
Buying insurance can be a pain, especially if you only ride your dirt bike as a hobby. If you’re looking to keep your premiums down as low as possible, there are a number of things you can do.
- Figure out what kind of policy you need. Depending on what you’re going to be using your bike for, you may not require the more expensive policies with all the bells and whistles. If you aren’t going to be using it for anything too dangerous or only in a safe, controlled environment, you might not need comprehensive.
- Buy the right bike. The smaller the engine, the less expensive cover will be. If you don’t need a 750cc roaring chrome monster for your excursions, consider getting one that’s a little bit smaller. In addition, the less exotic of a model your bike is, the cheaper coverage will be since they’re easier to replace.
- Store your bike safely. If you can prove that your dirt bike will be stored in a secure garage or annexe, insurers will offer you a better deal since theft won’t be such an issue.
- Drive sensibly. The fewer accidents you have on your driving record, the less you’ll be charged for insurance.
- Re-check your policy regularly. As your bike ages or your circumstances change, the premium you’re paying may be too high. Don’t keep forking out the same high rate if it no longer applies.
- Pay premiums annually. By making your payments each year instead of every month or week, most insurers will lower the overall amount you pay.
- Look for discounts. There are plenty of ways to knock 10% or 20% off the price of your premiums simply by looking around online or investigating perks like loyalty bonuses or no-claim bonuses for particular companies.
Which companies offer insurance for dirt bikes?
As part of standard motorcycle insurance
Special dirt bike policies
- National Motorcycle Insurance
- Real Insurance/Famous Insurance
- Swann Insurance
Do you need to have insurance for your dirt bike?
Technically you only need CTP to pay for others’ medical costs in any accident involving your vehicle. Other policies, like third party or comprehensive, aren’t mandatory (but could be a good idea).
More guides on Finder
Apeman C450 Dash Cam Review: Functional, but not fancy
If you just want to track your car’s progress for the fundamentals, the Apeman C450 will get the job done, but its price does reflect the lack of polish or additional features on offer.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
Get quotes and compare your mobile storage options across Australia.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
What is malicious damage?
Protect your home from the costs of malicious damage with home insurance. Compare policies in just minutes and get peace of mind.
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Ask an Expert