RACQ Motorcycle Insurance

Find the right cover for your motorcycle, cruiser, scooter and tourer with RACQ and get peace of mind on the open road

Whether you’re looking to insure your weekend tourer or the bike you ride every day, RACQ Motorcycle Insurance can cover your for everything from fire, theft and collision to your legal liability. RACQ offers three motorcycle policies – Motor Comprehensive Insurance; Motor Fire, Theft and Third Party Liability Insurance; and Motor Third Party Liability Insurance. All policies are backed by 24/7 customer service and a wide range of RACQ member discounts.

This review will explore what each of the RACQ motorcycle policies cover so you know exactly what you are getting out of your policy.

RACQ Motorcycle Insurance Cover Options

RACQ offers the following three cover options to motorcycle riders:

  • Motor Comprehensive Insurance. This is the highest level of motorcycle insurance from RACQ and it covers your bike for loss or damage caused in a wide variety of situations, including collision, fire, theft, vandalism, storm and hail. A lifetime guarantee applies to all repairs and $500 cover for personal property is included. In addition, $20 million legal liability cover provides peace of mind if you cause vehicle or property damage to a third party.
  • Motor Fire, Theft and Third Party Liability Insurance. This mid-range option provides cover for your motorcycle for loss or damage caused by fire, theft or attempted theft. $20 million of third party legal liability cover is included if you cause vehicle or property damage to someone else, while emergency repairs, towing and storage costs, and uninsured third-party motorist damage are covered as well.
  • Motor Third Party Liability Insurance.RACQ Motor Third Party Liability Insurance is designed to cover legal liability caused by the use of your motorcycle. Up to $20 million cover is available to cover legal liability when you cause vehicle or property damage to someone else, while loss or damage caused by an uninsured third-party motorist is also covered.

What does each policy cover?

  • Motor Comprehensive Insurance
  • New vehicle replacement if your motorcycle is less than two years old
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Loss or damage caused by collision, fire, theft, attempted theft, storm, hail or flood
  • Cover for baby capsules and child seats
  • Lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs
  • Cover for your replacement vehicle
  • $500 personal property cover
  • Towing and storage costs
  • $7,500 driver fatality benefit
  • Emergency repairs
  • Hire car after theft
  • Replacement locks and keys
  • Motor Fire, Theft and Third Party Liability Insurance
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Cover for loss or damage caused by fire, theft or attempted theft
  • $500 emergency repairs cover
  • Lifetime guarantee on all authorised repairs
  • Select the repairer you want
  • Towing and storage costs
  • Up to $5,000 cover for loss or damage caused by an uninsured third-party driver
  • Motor Third Party Liability Insurance
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Up to $5,000 cover for loss or damage caused by an uninsured third-party driver

What won't I be covered for?

Expand to see full list of exclusions

  • It is for loss or damage to motorcycle riding gear (except helmets).
  • Your motorcycle is lawfully confiscated, nationalised or requisitioned.
  • It is a result of deliberate or intentional acts by you or someone acting with your consent.
  • It arises because anyone in control of your motorcycle is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • You don’t stay at the scene of an accident until police arrive or as required by law.
  • You don’t do everything you reasonably can to limit or prevent further loss or damage to your motorcycle.
  • Your motorcycle is being used in an unroadworthy or unsafe condition.
  • It is for an incident that occurs outside Australia.
  • You fail to take responsible precautions to ensure the safety and security of your motorcycle.
  • Your motorcycle is being used for any purpose other than private, social, domestic or pleasure purposes.
  • Your motorcycle is being used for a motor trade experiment, test, trial or demonstration.
  • Your motorcycle is hired or rented to someone.
  • Your motorcycle is being used in any unlawful way or for any unlawful purpose.
  • Your motorcycle is being used to carry a paying passenger.
  • It is for loss or damage to tyres caused by applying the brakes.
  • It is for loss or damage to exterior paintwork caused by rain, sand or water over an extended period of time.
  • It is for any reduction in your vehicle’s value after it has been repaired.

How much will I pay for cover?

There are a number of factors that influence the cost of your RACQ Motorcycle Insurance premiums, including:

  • Its accessories and modifications. These may attract thieves or affect the performance of your motorcycle.
  • The address and location where your bike is kept. If you live in an area that has a high number of claims, such as for theft and malicious damage, premiums will be higher. Whether your car is garaged or parked outside overnight will also have an impact.
  • Your claims history. Whether or not you have made any motor insurance claims in the past will be taken into account.
  • Riders. The age and gender of listed drivers has an effect on premiums – for example, younger riders cost more to insure than others.
  • Your riding history. Your riding history, for example past speeding tickets and traffic infringements, can tell the insurer more about your riding habits and the likelihood that you will make a claim.
  • The excess. On a Motor Comprehensive Insurance policy, the basic excess amount you choose affects the cost of premiums.
  • Finance. Whether or not a financier has an interest in your vehicle will be taken into account when determining premium costs.
  • Optional benefits. If you choose to add any optional benefits to your policy, for example excess-free windscreen cover, these will drive up the cost of premiums.
  • Make and model. The make and model of your bike could also lead to an adjustment of the premium.
  • Discount. A no-claim discount is also available.

RACQ Motorcycle Insurance Excess

The excess is the amount you will need to pay towards the cost of any claim you make under your RACQ Motorcycle Insurance policy. More than one excess may apply to your claim, and the type and amount of excesses that apply to your policy will be shown on the certificate of insurance.

Types of excesses include:

  • Basic excess. This applies to all claims, except no-fault accidents where you can give RACQ the name, contact details and vehicle information of the person responsible. You can also vary the amount of your basic excess to adjust your premium amount.
  • Additional excess. This may apply in some situations depending on the type or specifications of your motorcycle.
  • Age and licence excess. This excess must be paid if the rider of your motorcycle at the time of an incident is under 25 years old, or has not held a full or open Australian motorcycle licence for the preceding two consecutive years.
  • Listed driver excess. This excess may apply to a listed driver that is shown on your certificate of insurance.
  • Unlisted driver age excess. This excess must be paid if an incident happens and the driver of your vehicle is an unlisted driver who is under 25 years old. Its amount is double the relevant age and licence excess.

How do I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim on your RACQ Motorcycle Insurance policy you can either:

  • Phone RACQ on 13 7202; or
  • Visit an RACQ store.

RACQ claims assistance is available 24 hours a day, and it’s important that you tell RACQ about any incident and make a claim as soon as possible. When you notify the insurer of your claim, you’ll be told what you need to do to ensure the prompt processing of your claim, including how to get your vehicle assessed, repaired and towed (if necessary). In most cases, you will not need to fill out a claim form.

Do you have some questions about RACQ?

Is there a no-claim discount?

Yes, a maximum no-claim discount of 20% applies to motorcyclists.

Does RACQ Motorcycle Insurance have a cooling-off period?

Yes, a 21-day period cooling-off period applies. This means that if you change your mind about cover within the first 21 days of taking out a policy, you can cancel your cover and receive a full refund.

Is my motorcycle riding gear covered?

No, RACQ does not provide cover for loss or damage to your motorcycle riding gear (except helmets).

Are there any discounts available?

Yes, RACQ Motorcycle Insurance policy holders can take advantage of:

  • A no-claim discount of up to 20%
  • A multi-policy discount when they have three or more policies with RACQ
  • A premium discount of up to 17.5% if they’re already an RACQ member with Roadside Assistance

What other member benefits are available?

When you take out Motorcycle Insurance you also become an RACQ member, which entitles you to savings and discounts at more than 1,200 partner locations.

If you’re looking for cover for your bike, regardless of whether you ride every day or only on the weekends. RACQ Motorcycle Insurance is worth considering. Compare it with other motorcycle insurance policies to decide whether it’s right for you.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At finder.com.au we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the finder.com.au privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to finder.com.au and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question