Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Best motorcycle insurance Australia

To help you find the best motorcycle insurance in Australia, we analysed 15 policies and selected 2 top picks based on features and value for money.

Top pick:
Price beat guarantee
QBE Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
  • Offers a price-beat guarantee*
  • Competitive cover limits
  • Lifetime guarantee on repairs
Top pick:
Youi Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
  • Cover for road risks & riding gear
  • 24/7 roadside assistance included
  • Award-winning customer service

Finding the best motorcycle insurance

To help you find the best motorcycle insurance, our insurance team did an analysis of some of Australia's most popular motorbike insurance policies. This included trawling through product disclosure statements (PDS), looking at customer reviews and analysing the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). Remember, what's best for you will differ from person to person so it's always best to do your research.

Why you can trust our research


motorcycle policies analysed


features analysed


hours of research

Top pick for price beat guarantee: QBE


What we like about QBE:

  • QBE's price beat guarantee means your premiums will be very competitive to the market when you take out a policy. The insurer is one of only 2 providers who'll let you pay monthly for no extra cost. This is attractive in times of sky-high insurance pricing.
  • Its comprehensive cover includes apparel cover. It'll cover your gear for damage resulting from a motorcycle accident for up to $4,000. Several other insurers, including Budget Direct, only offer riding gear cover as an optional add-on.
  • QBE lets you either insure your bike at its agreed or market value; not all others providers do.
  • The cheapest premium today might not be the cheapest in 12 months' time. Never auto-renew your policy. Keep this in mind if you take advantage of QBE's price beat guarantee.
  • The majority of motorcycle insurers give you the opportunity to choose your own repairer after an accident. QBE doesn't offer this flexibility.
Get a quote

Top pick for features: Youi

Picture not described

What we like about Youi:

  • Youi's comprehensive policy includes all the key covers such as theft, storms and accidental damage. Your riding gear (apparel) is covered as standard. Plus you can upgrade it to cover you for up to $5,000 worth of riding gear – handy if your helmet, jacket and boots are worth a bit. You can extend this cover to include personal items too.
  • It is one of just 2 providers (out of 15 we researched) to have roadside assistance baked into its comprehensive policy (the other was RACV). Enjoy solid peace of mind with 2 free callouts.
  • Youi has an excellent record on customer service. Its website boasts of answering customer phone calls "in under 30 seconds" on average. Youi has been recognised for this on multiple occasions, including at Finder's Roadside Assistance Customer Satisfaction Awards this year.
  • With Youi, you'll have to pay more upfront to be covered for a replacement vehicle – which would be a car – if your bike's stolen. 12 other insurers include this benefit as standard.
  • There are other optional covers you'll need to add to get the same level of comprehensiveness as some other providers. Personal possessions (such as your phone, laptop or camera) and trailer cover aren't included automatically.
Get a quote

Compare more motorcycle insurers

1 - 4 of 14
Name Product Roadside assistance Accidental damage Storm Choice of repairer Agreed or Market Value
QBE Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: QBE won our Green Insurer of the Year Award, and offers a great price-beat guarantee. Budget friendly and environmentally friendly.

⭐ Current offer: QBE guarantees to beat any price offered by their competitors for comprehensive motorcycle insurance for new customers. T&Cs apply.

Who it might be good for: Anyone on a budget who still wants good-quality cover.
Youi Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Youi has earned a reputation for great customer service and offers 24/7 roadside assistance as standard. This is typically an optional extra.

Who it might be good for: People who value a good customer experience and want the ability to customise their policy.
Budget Direct Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
Agreed or Market
⭐ Current offer: Get a quote now for your chance to win 1 of 2 Triumph Motorcycles. T&Cs apply.
AAMI Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
Finder's summary: AAMI’s comprehensive motorcycle insurance policy covers more than some of its competitors with the inclusion of riding apparel as standard. For further coverage, more options to customise cover are available.

⭐ Current offer: $25 off when you buy online.

Who it might be good for: With a paperless claims process, AAMI could be good if you’re keen to manage everything online.
Age is no guarantee of wisdom
According to Suncorp claim statistics, the largest number of motorbike insurance claims are made by bike owners between 51-60 (26.40%) with the 41-50 age group close behind (25.52%). Just because you're experienced, doesn't mean accidents won't happen.

Which type of motorcycle insurance is best for me?

Comprehensive bike insurance

Comprehensive motorcycle insurance

Comprehensive motorcycle insurance is best if you want full protection. It's the only level of insurance to cover damage to your own bike, including theft, as well as other people's vehicles and property. It's good for people who:

  • Would not be able to replace their bike if it was written off
  • Value their motorcycle and want to protect it
third party, fire and theft

Third party motorbike insurance

This covers damage to other people's property, including their vehicles. Many insurers will allow you to add fire and theft protection for your own bike. It's a good level of cover for people:

  • On a budget with a low-value motorbike
  • Who could afford to replace their bike if it was written off
third party liability

Compulsory third party

This is mandatory and covers people injured by your bike because of an accident. It's good if:

  • You can only afford the bare minimum
  • You could afford to pay for damage to other people's property (keep in mind this could be extremely expensive)

Expert tip on finding the best motorcycle insurance for your needs

If you're getting comprehensive cover and have expensive motorcycle gear, make sure you take a look at apparel cover. Some insurers will cover you for different amounts – for example, some, such as QBE cover you for up to $4,000. Others including Budget Direct, only include riding gear cover as an optional extra.

Gary Ross Hunter

Gary Ross Hunter
Insurance expert at Finder

Peta Taylor

We recently bought a motorcycle and decided to insure it with a comprehensive policy from QBE. We chose QBE because it offered a good amount of coverage with generous benefit limits and it came in the cheapest of the other quotes we got. I'm usually cautious of going with the cheapest provider but QBE's policy includes the coverage we need so it's just a bonus that it was the most affordable for us too.
— Peta Taylor , publisher and bike owner

Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

Our team of car insurance experts have researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards and published 330+ guides to make it easier for you to compare.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site