Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
Health insurance accident cover
Rest easy with health insurance that covers accidents.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Thanks to Medicare, you don't need to worry about being hit with a bill for thousands of dollars if you're in a car accident or need same-day surgery.
Unfortunately though, Medicare only goes so far. If you want cover for ambulance transportation, palliative care or rehabilitation and psychiatric treatment in a private hospital, you'll need health insurance accident cover.
Does health insurance cover accidents?
Yes, a basic accident health insurance policy can cover you for:
- Same-day accidents. This can include same-day treatment for accidents and accidental injuries.
- Emergency ambulance services. Insurance can cover you for emergency ambulance transportation; this isn't covered by Medicare in most states.
- Palliative care. Health care if you have a life-limiting illness.
- Psychiatric treatment. Emergency hospital-based treatment for psychiatric disorders or addiction.
- Rehabilitation treatment. Physical therapy and exercise programs after being admitted to hospital.
Will you be covered for accidents by health insurance?
|Fund||Accident and health insurance conditions||Waiting period||More info|
|Starter Bronze covers emergency ambulance transportation and same-day surgery and intensive care at a public hospital.||1 day||Get quote|
|Basic Essential Hospital Plus covers emergency ambulance transport, treatment for accidents, removal of tonsils, wisdom teeth, appendix and adenoids, joint reconstruction and dental surgery.||1 day||More info|
|Qantas Basic Hospital covers for emergency ambulance transport, treatment for accidents, dental surgery, gastrointestinal endoscopy, gynaecology, joint reconstructions, hernia, and appendix.||1 day||Get quote|
|Suncorp Basic Hospital Plus covers for treatment for accidents, emergency ambulance transport, dental surgery, gastrointestinal endoscopy, gynaecology, hernia and appendix, and joint reconstructions.||1 day||More info|
|Bronze Hospital covers ambulance transport, treatment for accidental injury, appendix, tonsils and adenoid removal, colonoscopies, dental surgery, gastroscopies, treatment for ear infections, gynaecological services, hernia repair and joint investigations and reconstructions.||1 day||More info|
|Standard Hospital covers emergency ambulance transportation, tonsil, appendix, adenoid and wisdom teeth removal, joint reconstructions and investigations plus restricted psychiatric and rehabilitation cover.||Nil||More info|
|Bronze Plus Hospital covers accidental injury, removal of appendix, tonsils and adenoids, cancer treatment, joint reconstructions and investigations and dental implant surgery.||Nil||More info|
|Bronze Plus Healthy Choice Hospital & Healthy Choice Extras covers all medically necessary ambulance transport and air ambulance services such as CareFlight. It also provides restricted cover for rehabilitation following an inpatient admission, palliative care and psychiatric services.||1 day||More info|
Compare accident health insurance options from Australian funds
To compare accident-only policies, click 'Basic cover with low premiums'. It'll give you a selection of accident only and basic policies to choose from.
What isn't covered by accident health insurance?
If you get accident-only health insurance, it doesn't usually include:
- Joint reconstruction, replacement, surgery or investigations
- Removal of appendix, tonsils, adenoids or wisdom teeth
- Heart-related medical and surgical treatments
- Obstetrics-related services or fertility treatments
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Cataract and lens-related procedures
- Renal dialysis
You'll need to get at least bronze level health insurance to get cover for these treatments. In most cases, this'll only cost you around $10 more a month.
Do you need health cover for accidents?
There's a few reasons it could be a good idea to get accident health insurance.
- You're young and healthy. You might not need other types of hospital treatment in the near future, but you can't predict when an accident might occur.
- Avoid the Medicare Levy Surcharge. You'll be hit with an additional tax levy if you earn over $90,000 and you don't have basic hospital cover. You might be able to avoid it with some accident health insurance policies.
- Avoid expensive ambulance fees. Unless you live in Queensland or Tasmania, where emergency ambulance services are provided free to all residents, an ambulance can cost over $1,000. The good news is accident health insurance only costs around $20 a week.
Can you get ambulance-only cover?
Yes. If you just want to avoid expensive ambulance fees, the following health funds offer ambulance cover. Prices are based on a single in Sydney (checked in April 2021):
|Fund||Cover Name||Annual Price|
|Medibank Ambulance Cover||$64.20|
|Ambulance Only Cover||$57.23|
|Emergency Only Ambulance cover||$43.88|
|Emergency Ambulance Only||$62.95|
|Ambulance Only Cover||$59.17|
*Quotes are based on an individual with less than $90,000 income.
More guides on Finder
Where to buy N95 masks in Australia
An N95 mask is one of the best ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19. Here's where to buy N95 face masks in Australia.
Why has the Brainchip (BRN) share price surged?
Shares in tech junior Brainchip have more than doubled over the past month.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Brainchip Holdings (BRN ↑18.8%), Universal Store Holdings (UNI ↑6.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Wednesday 19 January 2022.
2022 fashion trends: The good, the bad and the sequins
2022 is all about stepping out of your fashion comfort zone and into something bright, bold, and daring.
Where to buy professional COVID tests online in Australia
If you're a business looking to buy Rapid Antigen Tests or PCR tests for professional use, here's where you'll find them online.
Bendigo Bank Secured Green Personal Loan
Finance an eco-friendly vehicle or home improvements with this secured green loan.
What is TapMyPay, how it works and what does it cost?
foundU On-Demand Wages
foundU On-Demand Wages review, costs and how to apply.
Best rapid antigen tests for kids
Wanting to avoid a temper tantrum or having to bribe your child to take a test? Try one of these kid-friendly rapid antigen tests instead.
5 lessons traders can learn from the world of sport
SPONSORED: Professional athletes and the everyday trader have more in common than you think.
Save on your health insurance
Ask an Expert