Xoom international money transfers review
Enjoy simple, speedy and convenient international money transfers with Xoom.
Xoom offers competitive exchange rates and relatively low fees, with a solid security system that helps keep your funds safe. With its money-back guarantee, Xoom promises to refund your full transfer if it doesn't arrive to your recipient on time.
Is Xoom available in Australia?
Unfortunately, you won't be able to sign up for an account in Australia unless you have a bank account in either the US or Canada. At this time, Xoom has made no mention of expanding into Australia, but that doesn't rule it out. You can check out the other options you have for sending money overseas from Australia here.
If you do have a US or Canadian bank account, you can send money to Australia as well as dozens of other countries.
How much does it cost to transfer money with Xoom?
The fees that apply to money transfers through Xoom vary depending on a range of factors, including how you're paying for your transfer, where you’re sending it to and the amount you're sending. While it’s possible to pay for your transaction using a credit card or debit card, a bank transfer will mean lower fees.
Here's an example of the different fees you might see if you sent US$1,000 to Mexico or India from the States:
|Mexico||Credit or debit card||US$24.99|
|India||Credit or debit card||US$30.49|
There are some situations when transfer fees will be waived, such as if you send US$1,000 or more to India and pay using your bank account. Use Xoom’s online Fees and Exchange Rate Calculator to see the fees that apply to your transfer destination and amount.
How are Xoom's exchange rates?
Xoom makes money through transaction fees and by charging above the mid-market rate.
For example, if you are transferring money to Italy:
- You’ll pay a transaction fee depending on which payment method you use (US$4.99 through a bank account or US$10.99 through a debit or credit card).
- Your money may be converted at a rate of US$1 = EUR€0.93 instead of US$1 = EUR€0.96.
Send money where you need it across the world.
You can send money using your credit card, debit card or bank account. At this time, Xoom does not offer the flexibility of rate locks, forward orders or recurring transfers.
Xoom offers three options when it comes to your recipient collecting the cash you send: cash pickup, bank deposit and home delivery. However, the method you choose may depend on where you are sending your funds.
- Send money. With Xoom, you can send money in seconds to 70 countries around the world anytime, anywhere. They offer minimal fees and competitive exchange rates.
- Reload phones. Xoom allows you to reload the phones of friends and family members in 35 countries around the world.
- Pay bills. Xoom’s bill paying service makes it easy to pay bills overseas from within the US.
Pros and cons of using Xoom
- 24/7 support. Phone and email support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you need help with a transaction.
- Competitive and affordable. Compare the exchange rates and fees charged by Xoom with those of other money transfer providers to determine how affordable this service is.
- Secure. Xoom uses 128-bit encryption to secure your funds, while its money-back guarantee provides extra peace of mind.
- Money-back guarantee. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee to refund your transaction in full if the money you send doesn’t arrive to your recipient.
- Not available for Australian users. For now, Xoom is only available to those with US or Canadian bank accounts.
- Can't send to every country. You will need to look elsewhere if you want to send money to a country that Xoom does not currently service.
- No live chat option. There is no live chat; although, you can call or email Xoom for 24/7 customer support.
The registration and transfer process
Before you can send funds with Xoom, you must register for a free account with your personal contact information. While you don’t need to enter your Social Security Number, Xoom requires you to upload a government-issued ID – like a licence or passport – and a recent bank statement to send money, which could deter those without either form of ID.
The next step in the process is to enter details about your recipient, including their name, address and bank account details. You’ll also have to select whether you will pay via credit card, debit card or bank account and enter your payment details.
After reviewing the details of your transaction, including the exchange rate and the fee that applies, you confirm and send the funds. Xoom will notify both you and your recipient of your transfer's progress.
What you need to send money through Xoom
- Amount to be sent and currency it will be converted to
- A valid payment method, such as a credit card, debit card or bank account
- The recipient’s name, address and bank name and account number
- Your phone number and address
Steps to send a money transfer with Xoom
Track your transfer
You can opt to receive text updates or email notifications. Alternatively, you can review the transfer status on the Xoom platform or by calling Xoom support. Most transfers are completed within a few minutes, but it may take up to four business days.
Cancel your transfer
Cancellations are easy and don’t require a fee. To cancel a request, either log on to your Xoom account and go to the Track my transaction page or call Xoom Customer Service toll free at 1-877-815-1531.
Transfers that have not been deposited, picked up, delivered or paid to your recipient may be cancelled. Refunds generally take three business days to be issued and one to four business days to be processed and deposited or credited to your account or card, respectively.
Alternatives to Xoom
Check out these other alternatives to Xoom that you can use in Australia. Enter how much you want to send in the calculator below and see what your transfer could look like at each of these companies.
Frequently asked questions about Xoom
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert