Xoom international money transfers review
Enjoy simple, speedy and convenient international money transfers with Xoom.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
What's in this review?
Unfortunately, you won't be able to sign up for an account in Australia unless you have a bank account in either the US or Canada. At this time, Xoom has made no mention of expanding into Australia, but that doesn't rule it out. You can check out the other options you have for sending money overseas from Australia here. If you do have a US or Canadian bank account, you can send money to Australia as well as dozens of other countries.
Is Xoom available in Australia?
Unfortunately, you won't be able to sign up for an account in Australia unless you have a bank account in either the US or Canada. At this time, Xoom has made no mention of expanding into Australia, but that doesn't rule it out. You can check out the other options you have for sending money overseas from Australia here.
If you do have a US or Canadian bank account, you can send money to Australia as well as dozens of other countries.
Why should I use Xoom?
- Transfer tracking. You'll receive a text message when your money arrives. Xoom will also email you and your recipient to keep you both informed of the transfer's progress. You can log on to your account any time and track the transaction there, or call customer service and receive an update from a live representative.
- Money-back guarantee. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee to refund your transaction in full if the money you send doesn't arrive to your recipient.
- 24/7 support. Phone and email support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you need help with a transaction.
What to be aware of with Xoom
- Not available for Australian users. For now, Xoom is only available to those with US or Canadian bank accounts.
- Requires government-issued ID. You'll need to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement to send money.
- No live chat option. Though you can call or email Xoom for 24/7 customer support.
- Exchange rate markup and fees. Xoom adds a markup on the mid-market rate and charges additional fees.
Xoom's exchange rates and fees
The total cost of a Xoom transfer varies between online and agent locations. But for online transfers, fees depend on:
- Payment. Paying by bank transfer is the cheapest option while paying by credit card will have higher fees. Additional cash advance fees may also be charged to your credit card.
- Recipient's location. Fees depend on where you're sending to.
- Amount. Different fees are charged based on how much you're sending.
- Delivery. To send cash, fees are generally higher, while receiving money to a bank account is often less expensive.
Here's an example of the fees you might see while sending $1,000 through Xoom to Mexico or India for bank deposit:
|Mexico||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|Mexico||Credit or debit card||$3.99|
|India||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|India||Credit or debit card||$30.49|
Accurate as of July 1, 2020.
There are some situations when transfer fees will be waived, such as if you send $1,000 or more to India and pay using your bank account. Use Xoom's Fees and Exchange Rate Calculator to see the fees that apply to your transfer destination and amount.
Xoom's exchange rate
The exchange rate offered by Xoom may change depending on the amount of money you're sending. Here are the rates when we checked on April 15, 2020, for sending USD to INR through Xoom:
|Sending amount||Xoom rate||Mid-market rate||Markup|
|$10 - $50||74.5144||76.58||2.77%|
|$51 - $1,989||75.2732||76.58||1.74%|
|$1,990 - $1,999||75.2743 - 75.6147||76.58||1.73% - 1.28%|
|$2,000 - $9,970||75.6526||76.58||1.23%|
|$9,971 - $9,999||75.6602 - 75.8726||76.58||1.22% - 0.93%|
Although Xoom offers more competitive exchange rates as you send more money, it should be noted that when paying with a credit or debit card the fees also increase. When we checked, sending $5,000 to India through Xoom and paying with a credit card will cost you $151.49 in fees.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Turnaround time on your Xoom transfer depends on how you pay and how the money is received:
Fastest option — nearly instant
Pay for your transfer with a credit card, debit card or PayPal balance. You'll pay more in fees, but your money arrives in as little as 15 minutes, if not instantly. Your credit card might charge you an additional cash advance fee, further increasing the cost of your total transfer. Some destinations may take longer to receive money, even when paying by credit or debit card.
Cheapest option — up to 4 business days
Using a bank account to pay for your transfer is often the cheapest way to send money, but it's the slowest. Sending money to your recipient's bank account may also delay the transfer time.
What currencies can I send with Xoom?
Xoom can send to more than 150 countries and territories worldwide. Xoom can be sent from residents in the United States, Canada, the UK, and select countries in Europe. You can look at the full list of currencies here, but some of the popular currencies that Xoom supports include:
- Australian dollar (AUD)
- Bangladesh taka (BDT)
- Brazilian real (BRL)
- Dominican peso (DOP)
- Egyptian pound (EGP)
- Indian rupee (INR)
- Mexican peso (MXN)
- Philippine peso (PHP)
What are Xoom's sending limits?
Xoom separates accounts into three levels based on how much verification you've given. For US residents, it looks like:
|Level||24-hour limit||30-day limit||180-day limit||Required information and documents|
|1||2,999 USD||6,000 USD||9,999 USD||Email and phone number|
|2||10,000 USD||20,000 USD||30,000 USD||Social Security number or passport|
|3||50,000 USD||60,000 USD||100,000 USD|
Is PayPal Xoom?
Xoom is a PayPal service, and is owned and operated by PayPal. Users who already have and use PayPal accounts can integrate their existing accounts into Xoom to send money around the world. Recipients of Xoom transfers do not need to create a PayPal account in order to receive money.
Is Xoom safe?
Xoom's parent company, PayPal, is one of the most well-known payment systems. Xoom has additional measures to protect your money while using the service:
- Encryption: Xoom uses 128-bit data security encryption for its entire website.
- Regulation: Xoom shares all the same regulations and licenses held by PayPal.
- Money-back guarantee: Xoom guarantees that your money will be received by your recipient, and if it isn't the transaction will be refunded in full.
Xoom reviews and complaints
Reviews accurate as of October 13, 2020.
|Trustpilot||4.5 out of 5 — based on 21,582 customer reviews|
|CompareRemit||4.4 out of 5 — based on 1,908 customer reviews|
|BBB rating||A+ — based on BBB's internal rating system|
|Monito||7 out of 10 — based on staff reviews|
|NerdWallet||3.5 out of 5 — based on staff reviews|
Case study: Our experience transferring money with Xoom
Here's what we found when we sent live transfers to Mexico and France through Xoom:
- We paid low fees and received competitive rates within 2.4% of the mid-market rate on average, with rates updated multiple times a day.
- Our transfer to France arrived ahead of schedule, while our funds were deposited into our recipient's Mexican bank account within 24 hours.
- Xoom's easy-to-use website allowed us to sign up and initiate a transfer in just about 3.5 minutes.
What payment methods does Xoom accept?
Xoom transfers can be paid for in a few different ways when sending from the United States, including:
- Bank account transfer
- Credit or debit card
- PayPal balance
Each payment method may have different fees depending on your sending destination, but overall paying with a bank account or PayPal balance tends to be the cheapest option.
How do I send money through Xoom?
Before you can send funds with Xoom, you must register for a free account with your personal contact information. While you don't need to enter a Social Security number at sign-up, Xoom requires you to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement if you want to send higher amounts.
Steps to send a money transfer with Xoom
What do you need to send money through Xoom?
- Amount to be sent and currency it will be converted to
- A valid payment method — credit card, debit card or bank account
- The recipient's name, address and bank name and account number
- Your phone number and address
Is there a Xoom app?
Xoom has an app on both Google Play and the App Store. The app makes it possible to:
- Quick send. Use existing contacts to quickly send money with a few swipes and taps.
- Track orders. The status of your transfer is quickly accessible through the app.
- See fees and exchange rates. An in-app fee and exchange rate calculator will help you determine the cost of your next transfer through Xoom.
|Ratings accurate as of April 15, 2020|
|Google Play Store||4 out of 5 — based on 47,344 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store (USA)||4.8 out of 5 — based on 554,600 customer ratings|
Xoom's money transfer options are worth considering when you need to send money overseas. Just make sure to compare its services with those of a number of other providers before deciding on the right money transfer company to handle your transactions.
How does Xoom compare to other services?
Check out these other alternatives to Xoom that you can use in Australia. Enter how much you want to send in the calculator below and see what your transfer could look like at each of these companies.
Frequently asked questions
What are the ways I can send money with Xoom?
Can I use Xoom to send money for business purposes?
Can I schedule a money transfer in advance?
How can I track my transfer?
How do I cancel my transfer?
More guides on Finder
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
Robinhood vs eToro
Both eToro and Robinhood offer $0 brokerage stock trading, but eToro has more options for active traders. We compare.
Christian Cafe overview
Find out everything there is to know about the online dating site, Christian Cafe.
Where you can use open banking
Find out which companies you can send your financial data to to participate in open banking.
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – review
Buy bitcoin and Ethereum with selected fiat currencies through Luno’s easy-to-use platform.
Pepper Money No Fee Personal Loan Review
Find out more about Pepper Money's no fee personal loan and benefit from a competitive rate from 6.95% p.a., zero fees and loan terms of up to 7 years.
Why Afterpay’s share price jumped and Zip’s fell
The BNPL stocks took off after new product and partnership announcements.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Ask an Expert