We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- Good for securing competitive exchange rates through local banks
- Not so great when you want diverse payment options like credit cards or cash
What's in this guide?
- TransferMate exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What types of transfers can you make with TransferMate?
- How long does a transfer with TransferMate take?
- Which payment methods does TransferMate accept?
- Is TransferMate safe to use?
- How does TransferMate make money?
- How to register an account
- What is TransferMate?
- In a nutshell
- How does TransferMate compare to other services?
- Frequently asked questions
TransferMate exchange rates and fees
TransferMate charges a $20 fee on all Australian transactions for non-business customers. As for how much of a margin TransferMate adds to the exchange rate, when compared to Google, XE or the news, it's typically within 1%.
Because TransferMate operates through a network of over 200 bank accounts in 162 countries, it is able to offer transfers in over 130 currencies.
TransferMate offers money transfers in 135 currencies, including all major currencies and exotic currencies that are globally traded. The company does not work with restricted currencies. Major currencies include the following:
- EUR Euro
- INR Indian rupee
- GBP British pound
- MXN Mexican peso
- CAD Canadian dollar
- JPY Japanese yen
- CHF Swiss franc
- USD United States dollar
Sending money from Australia with TransferMate requires a minimum of $1,000. Although it may not be ideal for some, it can help you take advantage of its competitive rates.
What types of transfers can you make with TransferMate?
TransferMate offers four main transfer types:
- Spot contracts. This is a one-time transfer using the current exchange rate.
- Flexible spot contracts. This locks in the current price for the next three months, for better or for worse.
- Stop loss order. This is an order that prevents the exchange of currency when the price falls below a certain point that you decide.
- Market order. This is an order that only exchanges currency when the price hits a certain target that you decide.
How long does a transfer with TransferMate take?
There are a number of factors that affect the transfer time:
- Currency. When transferring between more common currencies, the transfers are faster.
- Bank used. Smaller banks in more remote areas may delay transfer time slightly.
- Transaction size. Priority depends on the transaction size, so consult TransferMate when planning to send an extremely large or small transaction.
TransferMate routes all transactions through its own network of partner banks and typically can have funds delivered within a day if the original transfer is set up before noon.
Note: TransferMate is a member of the global SWIFT network and uses this to transfer funds, which allows for easy tracking and monitoring during all stages of the process.
Transfers typically take
Which payment methods does TransferMate accept?
TransferMate only accepts payments via bank-to-bank wire transfers.
After booking your TransferMate money transfer, you'll receive an email with details on how to pay. You'll be paying the money into TransferMate's bank account in your country, which will then transfer your money onwards from there.
Is TransferMate safe to use?
- Security and regulation: TransferMate is government regulated in every country it operates in and allows tracking of all funds through the SWIFT network.
- Established: 2009.
- Number of customers: Over 15,000* businesses worldwide, partnered with Dwolla and part of The Taxback Group.
- Investors: Allied Irish Banks and ING Bank.
- Reviews: Reviewcentre gives TransferMate 4.7* out of 5 stars, based on 488 reviews.
TransferMate is regulated and licensed in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, the US, the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong and Singapore. In addition to being licensed and regulated, all TransferMate websites use SSL 256-bit encryption for added security.
How does TransferMate make money?
TransferMate makes its money through transfer fees and the market spread. Individual transfers have a standard flat-rate fee, while business transfers operate on a sliding scale depending on the amount.
The margin varies from currency to currency but typically ranges between 0.10% and 1%, depending on market volatility and the popularity of the currency you are buying or selling.
How to register an account
What is TransferMate?
TransferMate is primarily a B2B payments company that allows individual transfers as well. The company was founded in 2010 and is currently headquartered in Kilkenny, Ireland, with other major offices in San Francisco, New York and Sydney. Terry Clune and Sinead Fitzmaurice launched TransferMate under The Taxback Group company umbrella.
In a nutshell
- Competitive exchange rates. TransferMate offers real-time exchange rates that are very close to the mid-market rate.
- Fast transactions. Same-day transactions are possible through the SWIFT network, with completion in as little as 10 minutes.
- Huge range of currencies. TransferMate exchanges all major and exotic currencies so long as they are legal – over 130 in total.
- Integrated business services. TransferMate specialises in B2B transfers and has a suite of services to facilitate large and recurring international payments.
- No maximum limit. With no maximum transfer amount, transfers can be as high as you want.
- Limited payment options. You have to pay through a bank transfer, which means you can't use your credit or debit card.
- High minimum limit. You are restricted to sending at least $1,000 per transaction.
How does TransferMate compare to other services?
Personal transfers made with TransferMate must be $1,000 or over. Use the table below to see if this is the best option for your needs.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Bitcoin’s better half: Growing number of Australian women investing in crypto
Despite Bitcoin’s volatile value changes this year, Australians are still flocking to cryptocurrency in droves, with 17% of the population now owning a form of cryptocurrency.
Amazon Prime Day best Australian alcohol deals: Up to 38% off
Stock up on the good stuff this Prime Day, with these big booze offers.
How to buy iShares Global 100 AUD Hedged ETF units
Steps to owning and managing iShares Global 100 AUD Hedged ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day best book deals for all ages: Up to 55% off
Snap up best-selling reads for the whole family with these great Australian Prime Day offers.
Best Prime Day deals 2021: Highlights from day one [updated]
The wait is finally over. Here are the best Amazon Prime Day deals you can get in Australia right now.
Toyota LandCruiser 300 series: Release date, specs, price, models and more
Toyota popped the bonnet on its highly anticipated 2022 Toyota Landcruiser 300 series 4WD in June 2021. Here's everything you need to know.
Ethereum price continues to slide, correcting by 9% overnight
Crypto experts believe that ETH may still be able to go on a bull run later on this year after the ongoing bearish pressure subsides.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best Xbox and PC game deals
Whether you're a shiny Xbox owner or a proud member of the PC master race, Amazon Prime Day has what you're looking for.
Prime Day Coke deal: Get 57% off select multi-packs
Amazon's bonkers Coca-Cola deal is back for Prime Day - and this time it's brought Fanta and Sprite along to the party. Save up to 57%!
The best Amazon Prime Day deals from Aussie brands: Get 45% off
Here are the Prime Day deals you can feel especially good about shopping.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert