Tiger Brokers is an online broker that allows you to trade stocks on the ASX, US and Hong Kong markets, plus US options. With a fast sign-up process and no minimum deposit required, Tiger Brokers offers low fees but comes packed with quality features.
- Standard brokerage fee
- Available markets
- Australia, USA, Hong Kong
- Phone, Email, Live chat
For the most part Tiger Brokers suits those looking to trade multiple markets all from the same platform. Tiger customers get access to Australian, US and Hong Kong stocks plus US options.
That being said, if you want to trade ASX options, European stocks or other Asian markets, you'll have to look elsewhere. Overall, if you're a retail investor who wants to trade in both Australia and the US markets and you're looking for a platform that's easy to use and has no minimum deposits, Tiger could suit your needs.
Trading Australian, US and Hong Kong stocks
US options trading
Easy-to-use mobile trading
No minimum deposit required
Real-time streaming quotes
Generous sign-up offers
High-interest earning cash account
You'll find slightly cheaper brokerage elsewhere for ASX shares
Limited educational resources
Limited markets available
|Type of broker||Online|
|ASX products||Shares, Exchange traded funds|
|Available markets||Australia, USA, Hong Kong|
|Standard brokerage fee||US$2|
|Support||Phone, Email, Live chat|
About Tiger Brokers
Established in 2014, Tiger Brokers offers share trading services to global Chinese investors. A subsidiary of online brokerage firm UP Fintech Holding Limited, Tiger Brokers has offices in China, Australia, the US, New Zealand and Singapore.
With more than 8 million account holders worldwide, the company offers its own Tiger Trade desktop trading platform as well as a mobile trading app. Tiger Brokers promotes itself as a tech-focused company that develops its own proprietary technology. It also holds an Australian financial services licence.
Why invest with Tiger Brokers?
Tiger Brokers is designed to suit more experienced traders keen to invest in global markets. While access to ASX stocks is provided, the ability to trade shares on US and Hong Kong markets listed in Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX) Northbound trading will please traders looking for investment opportunities overseas.
Tools and features
Tiger Brokers offers a range of features to account holders, including:
- Fast sign-up process. Signing up for a Tiger Brokers account is quick and easy. The registration process is straightforward and there's no minimum deposit required to open an account.
- Proprietary software. Tiger Brokers offers its own proprietary trading platforms – the Tiger Trade desktop platform and a mobile trading app for Android and iOS devices.
- Free market data. Tiger Brokers offers free market data to allow you to monitor price trends and market movements before you trade.
- Trading tools. The Tiger Trade app also provides access to a wide range of trading tools and features, including stock screening, candlestick charts, customisable indicators and profit and loss analysis.
- High-interest cash account. Tiger offers a fixed interest rate of up to 3.5% at the time of writing for uninvested cash, a relatively rare feature among trading platforms.
- Company information. Users can also access company information, global market news and an economic calendar to help them make informed trading decisions.
- Performance. Tiger Brokers promotes its status as a tech-focused broker, with almost half of all staff employed in research and development and the ability to process 1.68 million trades per second.
- Tiger Token. Tiger Brokers offers its own security app, Tiger Token, which allows you to enable 2-factor authentication (2FA) and provide an extra level of protection for your account.
Which markets can I invest in?
You can use your Tiger Brokers account to trade equities on the following markets:
- New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
- Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq)
- American Stock Exchange (AMEX)
- Pink Sheet Exchange (PK)
- Australian Securities Exchange (ASX)
- Hong Kong Exchange (HKEX)
You can also trade US options using Tiger Brokers at a competitive price point.
Is Tiger Brokers trustworthy?
Tiger Brokers offers detailed information on its website about how and where it is regulated around the world. It holds an Australian financial services licence and is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
While not all of the markets are available to Aussie investors, its overseas operations are still regulated by them. For example, its US asset management arm is a registered investment adviser with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) while its Singapore entity is licensed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
Client funds are held in a segregated bank account that is managed by a custodian.
What are Tiger Brokers' fees?
Tiger Brokers' brokerage fees vary depending on the shares you're buying or selling, as outlined in the table below.
|Australian stocks and ETFs||Commission: 0.055% x Trade Value; Min. $5.50 per order|
|US stocks, ETFs and options||Stocks:|
|Hong Kong stocks and ETFs||Trading commission: 0.06% of trade value (minimum of HKD$15 per order)|
Platform fee: 0.03% of trade value (minimum of HKD$8 per order)
Pass-through fees: 0.002% per share (minimum HKD$2 and maximum HKD$100 per order)
However, please note that other third-party fees may apply, such as those charged by stock exchanges and regulatory bodies. Check the fine print closely to make sure you’re fully aware of how much your trade will cost.
It's also important to be aware that if you're trading international stocks, currency exchange fees may apply. Tiger Brokers was waiving currency exchange fees at the time of writing.
How do I sign up?
If you'd like to sign up for a Tiger Brokers account, click the "Open Account" link on the Tiger Brokers homepage and then complete the following steps:
- Choose whether you'd like to register with your email address or phone number, then enter the relevant information.
- Select your nationality, country of birth, country of residence and tax residency.
- Provide your name, date of birth, address, gender and contact details.
- Upload proof of ID, such as your driver's licence or passport and proof of your residential address.
The account will be opened within 3 hours of the account opening application being submitted. However, more time may be required for certain cases.
How do I contact Tiger Brokers support?
If you have a question about your account or a specific transaction, you can contact Tiger Brokers support via:
- Live chat
The customer support team is available from Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm AEDT. However, it’s worth mentioning that several users reviewing the Tiger Trade Android app complain about slow customer service response times.
Tiger Brokers is an option worth considering if you want to trade shares on global markets. Its desktop and mobile apps are easy to use, there are plenty of trading tools at your disposal and the firm charges competitive brokerage fees.
If you're new to the world of share trading, a platform that offers more educational resources for beginners may be a better choice.
Ultimately, make sure you compare Tiger Brokers with a range of other online share trading platforms before deciding on the best platform for your needs.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
October 16, 2023
Does Tiger Broker offer ASX options trading at all and if yes, what are the fees? thankyou
Kylie Purcell Finder
October 16, 2023
At this stage Tiger only offers US options. You can check out other platforms that do offer ASX options here: https://www.finder.com.au/best-options-trading-platforms
Show more Show less
April 19, 2023
Is this legit?
Account Activation Notice：
Sat, Apr 15, 12:08 AM (4 days ago)
Dear User: Hello, Tiger has received notice from the Federal Government’s Department of Cybersecurity that you need to pay $150,000 by April 25 to unlock and activate your account and to certify that your personal private account is not involved in unauthorized activity, and that you will receive your withdrawal funds immediately upon successful activation, as well as the activation funds you have certified.
Note: If you do not activate your account by April 25, your account will be permanently frozen by the federal government’s Department of Cybersecurity under the International Business Act.
Show more Show less