Tiger Brokers review
Trade Australian, US and Asian stocks with competitive brokerage fees.
Tiger Brokers is an online broker that allows you to trade stocks on the ASX and access markets in the US and Hong Kong. With mobile trading apps, plus a fast sign-up process with no minimum deposit required, Tiger Brokers provides easy access to international trading. However, there’s no web-based trading platform, and novice investors could benefit from more educational resources to help boost their trading knowledge.
Standard brokerage fee
Australia, USA, Hong Kong
Phone, Email, Live chat
Finder Exclusive: Sign up to Tiger through Finder and receive 4 free Grab share when you make a deposit or transfer an existing balance. T&Cs apply
Get started with $0 brokerage on ASX and US stocks for the first 3 months upon completion of your first qualifying deposit. Also receive a free Apple share if you deposit $3,000 or more. T&Cs apply
- Trading Australian and global shares
- Support U.S. options trading
- Easy-to-use mobile trading
- Competitive brokerage
- No minimum deposit required
- Real-time streaming quotes
- Generous sign up offers
Not so good for
- You’ll find slightly cheaper brokerage elsewhere for ASX shares
- Limited educational resources
- Limited trading options
About Tiger Brokers
Established in 2014, Tiger Brokers offers share trading services to global Chinese investors. A subsidiary of online brokerage firm UPFintech Holding Limited, Tiger Brokers has offices in China, Australia, the US, New Zealand and Singapore.
With more than 8 million account holders worldwide, the company offers its own Tiger Trade desktop trading platform as well as a mobile trading app. Tiger Brokers promotes itself as a tech-focused company that develops its own proprietary technology. It also holds an Australian financial services licence.
Why invest with Tiger Brokers?
Tiger Brokers is designed to suit more experienced traders keen to invest in global markets. While access to ASX stocks is provided, the ability to trade shares on US and Hong Kong markets, listed in HKEX (Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited) Northbound trading, will please traders looking for investment opportunities overseas.
Tools and features
Tiger Brokers offers a range of features to account holders, including:
- Fast sign-up process. Signing up for a Tiger Brokers account is quick and easy. The registration process is simple and straightforward and there’s no minimum deposit required to open an account.
- Proprietary software. Tiger Brokers offers its own proprietary trading platforms – the Tiger Trade desktop platform and a mobile trading app for Android and iOS devices.
- Free market data. Tiger Brokers offers free market data to allow you to monitor price trends and market movements before you trade.
- Trading tools. The Tiger Trade app also provides access to a wide range of trading tools and features, including stock screening tools, candlestick charts, customisable indicators and profit and loss analysis.
- Company information. Users can also access company information, global market news and an economic calendar to help them make informed trading decisions.
- Performance. Tiger Brokers promotes its status as a tech-focused broker, with almost half of all staff employed in research and development and the ability to process 1.68 million trades per second.
- Tiger Token. Tiger Brokers offers its own security app, Tiger Token, which allows you to enable 2-factor authentication and provide an extra level of protection for your account.
Which markets can I invest in?
You can use your Tiger Brokers account to trade equities on the following markets:
- New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
- Nasdaq Stock Market (NASDAQ)
- American Stock Exchange (AMEX)
- Pink Sheet Exchange (PK)
- Australian Securities Exchange (ASX)
- Hong Kong Exchange (HKEX)
Is Tiger Brokers trustworthy?
Founded in 2014, Tiger Brokers offers detailed information on its website about how and where it is regulated around the world. It currently holds an Australian financial services licence and is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
While not all of the markets are available to Aussie investors, it's overseas operations are still regulated by them.For example, its US asset management arm is a registered investment adviser with the SEC, while its Singapore entity is licensed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
Client funds are held in a segregated bank account that is managed by a custodian.
What are Tiger Brokers’ fees?
Tiger Brokers’ brokerage fees vary depending on the shares you’re buying or selling, as outlined in the table below.
|Australian stocks||Trading commission: $6.49 per trade|
|US stocks||Trading commission: US$0.0049 per share (minimum of US$0.99 per order)|
Platform fee: US$0.005 per share (minimum of US$1.00 per order)
Pass-through fees: US$0.03 per share, max. 7% x trade
|Hong Kong stocks||Trading commission: 0.03% of trade value (minimum of HK$7 per order)|
Platform fee: 0.03% of trade value (minimum of HK$8 per order)
Pass-through fees: 0.002% per share (minimum HK$2 and maximum HK$100 per order)
However, please note that other third-party fees may apply, such as those charged by stock exchanges and regulatory bodies. Check the fine print closely to make sure you’re fully aware of how much your trade will cost.
It’s also important to be aware that if you’re trading international stocks, currency exchange fees may apply. Tiger Brokers was waiving currency exchange fees at the time of writing.
How do I sign up?
If you’d like to sign up for a Tiger Brokers account, click the “Open Account” link on the Tiger Brokers homepage and then complete the following steps:
- Choose whether you’d like to register with your email address or phone number, then enter the relevant information.
- Select your nationality, country of birth, country of residence and tax residency.
- Provide your name, date of birth, address, gender and contact details.
- Upload proof of ID, such as your driver’s licence or passport, and proof of your residential address.
The account will be opened within 3 hours of the account opening application being submitted. However, more time may be required for certain cases.
How do I contact Tiger Brokers support?
If you have a question about your account or a specific transaction, you can contact Tiger Brokers support via:
- Live chat
The customer support team is available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm AEST. However, it’s worth mentioning that several users reviewing the Tiger Trade Android app complain about slow customer service response times.
Tiger Brokers is an option worth considering if you want to trade shares on global markets. Its desktop and mobile apps are easy to use, there are plenty of trading tools at your disposal and the firm charges competitive brokerage fees.
If you’re new to the world of share trading, a platform that offers more educational resources for beginners may be a better choice.
Ultimately, make sure you compare Tiger Brokers with a range of other online share trading platforms before deciding on the best platform for your needs.
Compare Tiger Brokers with other brokers
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Important: Share trading can be financially risky and the value of your investment can go down as well as up. Standard brokerage is the cost to purchase $1,000 or less of equities without any qualifications or special eligibility. Where both CHESS sponsored and custodian shares are offered, we display the cheapest option.