Sole Trader Insurance

You have three insurance options when it comes to sole trader insurance, to protect you and your business.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

As a sole trader, you have the freedom to be your own boss and pursue your true passions. It also means you bear the brunt of a range of responsibilities, including workplace safety and insurances.

It's worth considering insurance when:

  • You get sick or have an accident. Income protection can provide a steady stream of replacement income if you're unable to work for extended periods of time. Personal accident insurance can help if you have a serious accident.
  • You deal with the public. Whenever people are involved, the chance that you could be held responsible for accidents or damage they have increases. Public liability insurance is crucial.
  • You have employees. If you employ workers, you're legally required to get workers compensation.

What insurance does a sole trader need?

As a sole trader, you have multiple options for insurance cover. Click each to explore policies for you:

Income protection Personal accident insurance Liability insurance

Income Protection

As a sole trader, you won't be entitled to worker's compensation should something happen that stops you from working. Income protection is something you should seriously consider to protect your income and your business. Get quotes for income protection below.

Name Product Maximum Monthly Benefit Maximum Benefit Period Maximum % of Income Covered Waiting Period Options Policy Type Apply
AAMI Income Protection
Up to
5 years
Apply directly online
If you’re an existing AAMI customer, you can save 5% on income protection. New customers can get one month free by paying annually.
NobleOak Disability Income Insurance
First 24 months: $30,000. Thereafter: $25,250
Up to
Age 65
70% for the first 24 months, 60% thereafter
Apply directly online
Get your first month free when you apply for NobleOak Disability Income Insurance before 31 October 2021. T&C's apply.
Suncorp Income Protection
Up to
5 years
Apply directly online
Sign up and become a member of Suncorp Benefits. Access savings of up to 15% from major retailers. Existing members can get a 5% discount off their policy.
Insuranceline Income Protection
Up to
5 years
Apply directly online
Get a $100 bonus gift after 2 months. Plus, and get 12 months cover for the price of 11 if you pay annually. T&Cs apply.
RAC Disability Income Insurance (Only available in Western Australia)
RAC Disability Income Insurance  (Only available in Western Australia)
Up to
Age 65
Apply directly online
When you purchase RAC Income Protection, WA residents receive complimentary RAC membership which includes access to discounts on fuel, savings on shopping, entertainment and more. T&Cs at

Compare up to 4 providers

Personal accident insurance

Speak to an adviser and get a personal accident insurance quote

Please enter your full name
Please enter a valid email address
It's important to give us a valid phone number
Date of Birth
This is your current income. Everyone‘s situation is different so you might also want to discuss with an insurance consultant.Calculator
Please enter your occupation
By submitting this form, you agree to the privacy policy
Get quotes

Liability insurance

Get a personalised liability insurance quote in 4 steps

What types of insurances are relevant to sole traders?

Like any businesses, sole traders need a variety of insurances to protect themselves and their livelihood. Options include public liability insurance, motor vehicle insurance and business insurance, as well as personal insurances such as income protection or personal accident insurance.

Type of InsuranceDetails
Income ProtectionIncome Protection Insurance provides up to 75% of your income if you are ill or injured and unable to work, and total and permanent disability (TPD) insurance is often bundled with IP insurance to provide additional cover if you are totally and permanently disabled. Premiums for IP insurance held outside of your superannuation fund are also tax deductible, or if funded through your superannuation, benefits paid are taxed at a much lower rate/
Business protectionAs a sole trader it's a good idea to consider your business activities and decide what type of business insurance is right for you. For example, if you provide professional services, then a professional indemnity policy should be considered.
Standalone accident coverSome sole traders opt for personal accident insurance as an alternative to IP. While it only covers accidental injury and does not cover illness, it is a lot cheaper than IP insurance. Advantages of personal accident insurance include:

It pays a regular benefit for a period of time if you are injured and can't work, so it can provide an alternative if you don't qualify for IP insurance.
Unlike IP insurance, there are no medical questions or tests involved at application.
Capital benefits are often paid in the event of permanent disability or death.
Premiums can be lower than IP insurance.

Why is sole trader insurance important?

No workers compensation

Unlike most employees in Australia sole traders are not eligible for workers compensation. Not having access to work cover mean that if you're injured on the job, you won't have access to any form of financial compensation.

While it's not a legal requirement for you to have personal insurance, you may want to consider an income protection or personal accident policy.

Workers compensation vs work arrangement

Employment StatusAre you eligible for workers compensation?Insurance types to consider
EmployeeYesIncome protection for extra protection
Sole traderOnly for your employeesIncome protection to fill the gap of workers compensation Personal accident insurance workers compensation for your employees
ContractorYes (if you are considered a worker under state legislation)Income protection if not eligible for workers compensation Personal accident insurance

Why can't sole traders get workers compensation?

A sole trader does not qualify for workers compensation because, in order to be eligible, you must be employed by another person or company. When you are their employee, they are required to take out workers compensation on your behalf.

As a sole trader, you are not an employee but an employer and, if you have any staff working for you, you must take out workers compensation on their behalf. You should also look for other forms of financial protection for yourself and your business, such as IP insurance.

You will need to provide cover for your employees

It's worth pointing out that if you are a sole trader, you will need to have adequate work cover in place for any of your employees.

What types of insurance are a must for sole traders?

When you are a sole trader, you are not legally required to take out any insurance (unless you need workers compensation, as covered above). However, there are a couple types of insurance you should strongly consider to help cover costs in case something goes wrong.

  • Business protection. Business costs can still mount up even when you're unable to operate as normal. If a fire were to burn down your hairdressing salon or a thief were to steal your expensive electrician's tools, business protection could help you get back on your feet and even keep going in the meantime.
  • Professional indemnity. Professional indemnity insurance provides protection for anyone who dispenses professional advice, such as an architect designing building plans or a lawyer. If you're a sole trader who gives advice to clients, seriously consider professional indemnity insurance in case that advice causes problems or damage.
  • Liability insurance. When there's any chance of people having an accident on or because of your business, public liability insurance is a must. This can help with compensation and legal fees if someone trips and falls on your business premises or injures themselves in your restaurant.

How do I get covered for injuries when I'm a sole trader?

Without workers compensation, there are two main ways you can get covered for injuries you may sustain.

The first, cheaper option is personal accident insurance, which will provide you with a lump sum when you have an accident resulting in an injury and can't work. Personal injury insurance comes in a few forms, including standalone accident cover and total and permanent disability insurance. It will not cover you if you get sick, only injured.

The other more robust form of cover is income protection, which can also help make up for lost income when you are unable to work. The big difference between income protection and personal accident insurance is that income protection will also cover you when you get sick, and usually compensates you in the form of an ongoing payment, rather than a single payout.

Things to consider when applying for sole trader insurance

When considering sole trader insurance there are a few important factors to look at:

  • Waiting period. As business expenses insurance has waiting periods anywhere from 14 days to 12 months. The waiting period determines how long you will have to wait receiving the benefit after you make a claim. The shorter the waiting period the higher your premium.
  • Features and Limitations. No two policies are the same. Make sure you understand the features and limitations of your policy. Take note of how things are defined to avoid any misunderstanding and disappointment when making a claim.
  • Flexibility. Another important factor that you might want to check is how flexible your policy is, make sure it increasers with CPI to avoid being underinsured.

Am I eligible for Sole Trader Insurance?

Criteria will generally vary between policies, but in general:

  • There is usually an age limit. This is usually between 18 and 75 for personal accident, and up to 64 for income protection.
  • Permanent resident. You'll need to either be a citizen or be considered a permanent resident of Australia. If you're on a working visa, you can get cover if you are considered a permanent resident and a policy agrees to cover you.

How much sole trader insurance do I need?

This is perhaps one of the most common questions people have. While the answer to this question varies from person to person, you can calculate your needs by asking yourself:

  • Do you have funds you can readily access? Having some savings only apportioned to your business can provide you with a much needed safety-net and mean that you don't require as much cover as someone who is devoid of saving.
  • Do you have plans to expand your business? If you're planning on expanding your business at any time in the future, you need to ensure that your company can continue to grow without you at the helm.
  • Do you have loans or debts? While sole trader insurance is for protection of your business' fixed costs, it can also lessen the financial strain for you in times of need. It will allow you to continue to pay your ongoing business expenses.

Sole trader insurance gives you the assurance of being able to continue your business even if you fall into hard times. Why risk losing it all when you can have something to protect your lifelong investment with sole trader insurance?

More guides on Finder

Go to site