Phillip Capital: Trade Australian and global shares and ETFs
Access competitive broker fees for US, China and the Asia Pacific shares.
If you're looking to trade shares from an extensive range of global exchanges, Phillip Capital's online share trading platform is worth a look. With brokerage fees starting at 0.12% and a flat US$6 fee for US stocks, Phillip Capital offers easy access to some of the harder-to-reach stock exchanges in the Asia Pacific, including China, Malaysia and Thailand.
Founded in Singapore in 1975, Phillip Capital now operates in 16 countries. Today, it has more than one million clients and US$28 billion assets under management.
Standard brokerage fee
ASX, NASDAQ, NYSE, London Stock Exchange, Tokyo Stock Exchange, And more
|Type of broker||
Exchange traded funds
London Stock Exchange
Tokyo Stock Exchange
|Standard brokerage||AUD $19.95|
Trading CFDs and forex on leverage is high-risk and you could lose more than your initial investment. It may not be suitable for every investor. Refer to the provider’s PDS and consider the risks before trading.
What can I trade with Phillip Capital?
When you open an online share trading account with Phillip Capital, you can trade shares and ETFs on more than 20 international stock exchanges, including:
- Australia (ASX, Chi-X)
- United States (NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX)
- Canada (TSX)
- United Kingdom (LSE)
- Germany (DAX)
- Singapore (SGX)
- Malaysia (Bursa)
- Japan (TSE)
- Hong Kong (HKEx)
- China A-Shares (SSE)
- China B-Shares (SSE, SZSE)
- Indonesia (IDX)
- Philippines (PHX)
- South Korea (KRX)
- Sri Lanka (CSE)
- Taiwan (TWSE)
- Thailand (SET)
- Turkey (ISE)
In addition to shares, Phillip Capital also offers ECN forex trading and the opportunity to trade CFDs. You can read our Phillip Capital forex review for more information.
What are the best things about Phillip Capital share trading?
|Research and education||
- Market data. With access to real-time market data from global stock exchanges, Phillip Capital allows you to make trading decisions based on the most up-to-date information.
- Research. Combining an extensive variety of technical indicators with expert analysis and drawing tools, Phillip Capital provides a comprehensive selection of trading insights, including market reports, analysis and forecasts.
- Access. Phillip Capital provides the speed and convenience of online trading, as well as the flexibility of mobile access if you need to trade on the go. Phone trades are also available but do attract higher brokerage fees.
- Available markets. In addition to Australian shares on the ASX and Chi-X, Phillip Capital provides access to shares and ETFs on more than 20 global stock exchanges. These include the NASDAQ, New York Stock Exchange, London Stock Exchange and Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Multiple market watchlist. Phillip Capital allows you to build a customisable market watchlist to monitor shares around the globe, helping you to identify and trade on investment opportunities as they arise.
- Multiple currencies. Phillip Capital is one of only a handful of online stockbrokers in Australia that allows you to hold multiple currencies in your account. You have the freedom to maintain funds in several currencies – AUD, SGD, USD, HKD, JPY, GBP, EUR, CAD, MYR – allowing you to save time and money on currency conversion fees.
- Regulated in Australia. Phillip Capital is an Australian stockbroker that is regulated by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission.
What support and information is available with Phillip Capital?
If you want to further your trading knowledge, Phillip Capital offers a trading education section on its website. There you can sign up for seminars and webinars and access informative trading guides. Frequently asked questions is also included on the website and there is a live chat feature available.
For customer support, you can phone a toll-free number or get in touch via email. Within Australia, Phillip Capital has offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and the Gold Coast to offer the support you need.
What are the fees associated when using Phillip Capital?
It’s free to open an online trading account with Phillip Capital. However, brokerage fees apply whenever you place a trade, but vary depending on the stock exchange on which you are trading and whether you trade online or over the phone.
The table below outlines Phillip Capital’s brokerage fees:
|International stock exchange||Online trading||Phone trading|
|Australia (ASX)||0.12% (minimum AUD19.80)||0.50% (minimum AUD 60)|
|USA (NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX)||Flat rate of $6||0.65% (minimum USD 25)|
|China A Shares (SSE)||From 0.25% (minimum RMB 125)||From 0.60% (minimum RMB 200)|
|Singapore (SGX)||From 0.15% (minimum SGD 25)||From 0.50% (minimum SGD 50)|
|Hong Kong (HKeX)||From 0.10% (minimum HKD 80)||From 0.50% (minimum HKD 200)|
|Japan (TSE)||From 0.10% (minimum JPY 2,500)||From 0.75% (minimum JPY 5,500)|
|UK (LSE)||From 0.10% (minimum GBP 10)||From 0.65% (minimum GBP 55)|
|Europe (EuroNext )||Offline only||0.40% (minimum EUR 80)|
|Malaysia (Bursa)||From 0.30% (minimum MYR 75)||From 0.75% (minimum MYR 120)|
|Indonesia (IDX)||From 0.50% (minimum IDR 350,000)||From 0.65% (minimum IDR 550,000)|
|Thailand (SET)||From 0.30% (minimum THB 800)||From 0.75% (minimum THB 1,000)|
|Turkey (ISE)||Offline only||From 0.60% (minimum TRY 170)|
|Germany||From 0.30% (minimum EUR 60)||0.65% (minimum EUR 85)|
|China B Shares (SSE, SZSE)||N/A||0.65% (minimum US 35)|
|Canada (TSX)||N/A||0.50% (minimum AUD 50)|
|Philippines (PHX)||N/A||0.70% (minimum PHP 1,800)|
|South Korea (KRX)||N/A||0.70% (minimum KRW 60,000)|
|Sri Lanka (CSE)||N/A||No longer available|
|Taiwan (TWSE)||N/A||0.60% (minimum NTD 800)|
What are the points in favour of and against using Phillip Capital for my next trade?
Points in favour
- Experienced provider. Phillip Capital has more than 40 years of experience offering its services to traders all around the world.
- Global market access. With a Phillip Capital share trading account, you can buy and sell shares on stock exchanges in Australia, the US, UK, Canada, Europe and Asia.
- Multi-currency facility. With the ability to hold funds in multiple currencies, Phillip Capital allows you to save on currency conversion fees.
- Less common exchanges. Phillip Capital offers a number of stock exchanges that are not often covered by other Australian brokers, such as China, Thailand and Malaysia stocks.
- Commissions. With a minimum commission of AUD$19.95 when trading ASX shares, you may be able to find cheaper brokerage fees elsewhere.
What you need to know about the application process for Phillip Capital
If you’d like to open a trading account with Phillip Capital, click on of the “Apply Now” links on this page to be redirected to the provider’s website. You can then start filling out the quick online application form by providing:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your contact details
- The type of account you would like to open
Once you’ve set up your account and deposited funds, you can start trading global and international shares.