Teachers Mutual Bank Personal Loans
Low cost personal loans with good flexibility from a member-owned bank which exists to benefit members, not make a profit.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Teachers Mutual Bank was started in 1966 as a credit union for teachers and their families. It is a member-owned organisation and exists solely to provide low-cost banking services to its members. Teachers Mutual Bank has a full range of banking services which includes transaction accounts, savings accounts, loans, credit cards, insurance and travel money options. It also offers a general personal loan and specific loans for travel and car purchases.
Teachers Mutual Bank personal loans
Types of personal loans from Teachers Mutual Bank
All personal loans from Teachers Mutual Bank have a $100 application fee and are only available with a variable interest rate.
- All Purpose Personal Loan. Bundle debts or use the loan for any worthwhile personal purchase such as a wedding or home renovations. The interest rate is 13.19% p.a. and the comparison rate is 13.90% p.a.
- Travel Loan. Especially designed for your next trip, offering a lower interest rate of 11.45% p.a. and a comparison rate of 12.15% p.a.
- Secured New Car Loan. Use a new car as security against your loan to get a lower interest rate. Variable interest rate of 8.39% p.a. and a comparison rate of 8.53% p.a.
- Car loan. For new or used cars up to 10 years old or classic cars over 30 years old. Interest rate of 9.95% p.a. and comparison rate of 9.95% p.a.
Features of a Teachers Mutual Bank personal loan
If you’re considering applying for this loan, here are some of the features that are on offer:
- No ongoing fees. There is an application fee of $100, but no ongoing maintenance or monthly fees apply to any Teachers Mutual Bank personal loan. As long as you make all your repayments on time and don’t overdraw the loan amount you will only have to make the interest repayments.
- Flexible repayment terms. Align your loan repayments with your pay cycle and make either weekly, fortnightly or monthly repayments.
- Ability to make extra repayments. You are able to make additional repayments without incurring a fee or penalty. This is a handy way to save on the total interest you pay by repaying the loan sooner. You must inform Teachers Mutual Bank in writing if you wish to increase or decrease your repayments.
- Low minimum loan amount. Loans can be from $2,000 to $80,000. Small loans are a good alternative to purchasing on credit cards, which generally have much higher interest.
- Free redraw facility. This allows you to redraw additional repayments at no charge so you can access any extra money you have already contributed to the loan. It gives you the best of both worlds by reducing your interest repayments and providing you with the flexibility to access the money should you need it in the future.
What other products does Teachers Mutual Bank offer?
- Transaction accounts. Teachers Mutual Bank offers a range of accounts for day-to-day banking including a bill-paying account as a dedicated place to store money for bills.
- Savings accounts. Teachers Mutual Bank has six types of savings accounts including high-interest online, reward saver, and tailored accounts for new teachers, kids and pensioners.
- Home loans. Teachers Mutual Bank has both fixed rate and variable interest loans for owner-occupiers and investors.
- Credit card. Teachers Mutual Bank offers a single zero fee, low rate credit card. It doesn’t have any fancy privileges but comes at no cost and a very competitive interest rate.
- Other products. Both insurance and financial planning are offered through Teachers Mutual Bank.
How to apply for a personal loan from Teachers Mutual Bank
To apply for a personal loan with Teachers Mutual Bank you must first become a member, which you can do online.
To become a member you will need to:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be 18 years old or over
- Purchase a $10 share in the bank (refundable if you choose to leave)
Once you are a member, to apply for a loan you will need:
- Proof of income and assets
- Employer’s name and contact details
- Details of other loans, liabilities and living costs
- Proof of identification
More guides on Finder
Woolworths Team Bank Visa Credit Card
Available to Woolworths Group employees and family, this low-cost card comes with simple features and mobile payment options.
Handypay Personal Loan
Find out more about Handypay's personal loans for home improvements. Personalised rates start from 6.75% p.a. on terms from 1 to 7 years.
BankSA Vertigo Platinum – Cashback Offer
The BankSA Vertigo Platinum card offers a $300 cashback a low ongoing purchase rate and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Pepper Money No Fee Personal Loan Review
Find out more about Pepper Money's no fee personal loan and benefit from a competitive rate from 6.95% p.a., zero fees and loan terms of up to 7 years.
Brighte Personal Loan
Looking to renovate your home? Find out more about Brighte's personal loan for home improvements and ways in which it may be able to benefit you.
Endeavour Mutual Bank Special Fixed Home Loan
The Special Fixed Home Loan from Endeavour Mutual Bank is a fixed rate mortgage for owner-occupiers and investors.
Sydney Mutual Bank Special Fixed Home Loan
The Special Fixed Home Loan from Sydney Mutual Bank is a fixed rate mortgage for owner-occupiers and investors. Available with a 5% deposit.
Now Finance Secured Personal Loan review
Get rewarded for an excellent credit score with a Now Finance personalised rate secured personal loan. Rates vary between 5.95% p.a. and 15.45% p.a. Apply today.
Credit Union SA Education Community credit card
Available to people working or studying to work in South Australia's education sector, this card includes a low rate, no annual fee and mobile payments.
Cryptocurrency trends in 2020: From DeFi to COVID crisis
SPONSORED: What are the trends that look set to define cryptocurrency in 2020?
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.
Ask an Expert