Motorcycle Insurance QLD
Choose from 16 motorbike insurance QLD policies to get covered for fire, theft, storms, damage and more.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Use our comparison table to find motorcycle insurance in QLD. It lets you compare up to four policies side by side so you can see who's offering the features you want. We can't show you prices because quotes are tailored to your specific circumstances, including where you live in Queensland. You can click through for a personalised quote once you've compared features.
Ready to compare motorcycle insurance policies?
Below are a range of policies available to Queensland motorists. See how they stack up against each other and find out if there is a policy that suits you best.
Why do I need motorcycle insurance in Queensland?
Queensland is one of Australia's most beautiful states. With so many incredible places to visit, it's really important you have the right motorcycle insurance in place or risk serious out of pocket expenses.
- Motorcycles can be expensive in Queensland and throughout Australian so it makes sense to protect yourself if that investment is ever damaged or taken off the road.
- Whether it's navigating rush hour in Brisbane or doing the Great Beach Drive, it's essential you protect yourself in case you cause an accident and injure other people.
- Queensland is well known for its scenic roads. You may be the best rider around, but you are still at the mercy of other drivers who might not see you and could possibly run into you.
- There are, unfortunately, some people who like to steal good-looking motorcycles particularly in cities like Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
- Insurance protects your back pocket against bad drivers, bad people and bad weather. All of these can be pretty unpredictable throughout Queensland.
What cover should Queensland motorcyclists look for?
There are a few things you should consider getting cover for if you live in the Sunshine State.
- Theft: According to statistics gathered on local government areas, Brisbane and the Gold Coast are the two highest areas when it comes to motorcycle theft. If you live in either of these regions, it's likely that your premiums will be higher. However, having theft cover could help save you heaps if your bike is stolen.
- Bad weather: Many comprehensive policies provide Queenslanders with storm cover. As anyone who lives in Queensland will tell you, bad weather can strike at anytime without a moment's notice. If your bike is left out during bad weather and is damaged, you may not be entitled to compensation if you don't have storm cover.
- Protect yourself from tourists: Queensland is an incredibly popular place for tourists such as backpackers. Many of them enjoy doing road trips. However, this often means there are people on the roads who are unfamiliar with the route, or have never driven on the left-hand side of the road before. You may be the most experienced rider on the road but it can't fully protect you from others.
- Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance: This is a requirement when registering your vehicle in Australia. It's often built into insurance policies. However, Queensland drivers have the option of choosing where they want to take out CTP insurance.
- Storage: Queenslanders should also consider getting cover for keeping their bikes in storage. The state has temperamental weather and while southern states may have the occasional storm, Queensland has cyclones which are far more damaging than regular storms. Storage is vitally important in these instances.
What should I consider when purchasing motorcycle insurance in QLD?
Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is a requirement when registering your vehicle in Australia. It’s often built into insurance policies. However, Queensland drivers have the option of choosing where they want to take out CTP insurance.
Queenslanders should also consider getting cover for keeping their bikes in storage. The state has temperamental weather, and while southern states may have the occasional storm, Queensland has cyclones which are far more damaging than regular storms. Storage is vitally important in these instances.
What type of motorcycle insurance can I get in QLD?
|Comprehensive||Fire and Theft||Third Party Property Damage|
|New for new replacement|
|Car hire after theft or damage|
|Damaged or stolen riding apparel|
Note that this is just a general overview of what your policy might cover. Before buying, be sure to check the PDS to make sure you know what you're covered for.
What affects your motorcycle insurance premium?
Some factors that affect your premium are out of your control, but others can be managed. Here are a few points to consider if you want to reduce the price of your insurance:
- The price of your bike. If your bike is newer or more expensive than the average, your premiums will be higher. As already stated, cities like Brisbane and the Gold Coast are more prone to theft, which means you might want to consider a cheaper flight.
- The area you stay in. If you live in an area of Queensland where theft is more common, where cyclones are common, or live in remote are, your insurance premiums may be higher.
- Multi-policy discount. Many of the insurance providers offer home and contents insurance, life insurance, car insurance and more. If you have more than one policy with the same insurer you can often get discounted premiums.
- Age and experience. If you're an older rider with decades of riding experience your premiums will be lower than people in their early twenties who have just upgraded from their provisional, P-plate licences.
- Make and model. These make a big difference to your premiums. If you're driving around on the latest, high-speed Japanese sports model, it could cost you more than a lower-powered bike built ten years ago.
- How often you pay. Pay-by-the-month can be a bit more expensive than paying an entire year's premium up front.
- How much you insure your ride for. If you choose an agreed value your premiums will rise over time, because the payout for your ride is going to be the same if it is written off. In contrast, choosing market value will mean that your premium will be lower over time.
A final word
Insuring your two wheels in Queensland is just as easy and inclusive as anywhere else in Australia. There are many great rides to take in Queensland, from winding your way through lush rainforest to exploring the open roads in the west. It’s a good idea to get that ride insured, to cover you if anything unexpected happens.
Get the latest car insurance news
Drivers without roadside assistance cover are spending millions of dollars on call-out fees, according to new research by Finder.Read more…
Australian drivers are shelling out big bucks on parking fines each year according to new research by Finder.Read more…
While you are here, you may also be interested in…
More guides on Finder
Farm insurance can provide the protection Australian farmers need. It can include ✓ building insurance ✓ crop insurance ✓ livestock insurance
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Home furniture insurance
Here’s everything you need to know about insuring your prized furniture collection.
Granny flat insurance
Find the right granny flat insurance, whether you're renting yours out or you've moved into one.
Renters insurance: Aquariums
If you're a tenant with a fragile home aquarium, here's how renters insurance can help protect it.
Are outdoor living areas covered by home insurance?
From gazebos to furniture to water features, outdoor living home insurance can cover a range of things we keep outside.
Love your handbag? Handbag insurance is a good way to show it.
Washing machine insurance
No need to get in a spin – washing machine insurance has you and your clothes washer covered.
Shed insurance can cover sheds of all shapes and sizes, as well as their often-valuable contents.
Looking for garden insurance? The right home insurance policy can cover things like your ride-on mower, gazebo and some of your most prized plants.
Ask an Expert