Landlord building insurance

Compare landlord insurance policies and get covered for natural disasters, tenant damage and more.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Compare landlord building insurance today

Name Product Tenant Default and Damage Loss of Rent Accidental Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Cooling-off Period Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Landlord Building Insurance


10% of the sum insured amount of your property
21 days
Save 15% on your first year's premium when you buy a home only policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Landlord Building Insurance


10% of the buildings sum insured
20 days
Qantas Landlord Building Insurance


10% of your home sum insured
21 days
Seniors Landlord Home Insurance
The lesser of: 12 months rent, or 10% of your building sum insured, or the lost rent
14 days
Buy online and save up to 10% on landlord building insurance in the first year. T&Cs apply.
Woolworths Landlord Building Insurance
The lesser of: 12 months rent, or 10% of your building sum insured, or the lost rent
14 days

Compare up to 4 providers

What is landlord building insurance?

Landlord building cover protects the physical structure of your property if it's damaged by an insured event like a natural disaster, fire or your tenant. The following is all considered "the building":


The building itself (e.g. bricks and mortar)

plumbing systems

Electrical cables and plumbing system

Swimming pool

Other permanent structures (e.g. built-in swimming pools and air conditioning)

If you have a furnished or partially furnished property, then you should also consider getting landlord contents insurance. This covers the items you own and keep at your rental.

Do I need landlord building insurance?

Yes, if

  • You want a financial safeguard for your investment property.
  • You live in an area where natural disasters are common.
  • You rely on your property to earn an income.

Possibly not, if

  • You own a unit in an apartment block since your strata levies should cover the building insurance.

What is covered in landlord building insurance?


Damage from unexpected events

This includes damage from fires (including bushfires) storms, rainwater, floods, escaped water and lightning. Building cover also commonly includes mortgage discharge costs.

damage by tenants

Damage caused by tenants

This includes damage caused by visitors, pets and unknown persons. This can protect your property against accidental loss or damage, tenant damage and vandalism or theft.

Money loss

Loss of rent

If your building is damaged by an insured event and becomes uninhabitable, landlord building insurance can cover your loss of rent for a specific time – often up to a year. It can also cover rent default (if your tenant is unexpectedly unable to pay you rent).

Legal fees

Legal fees

Commonly referred to as legal liability, this covers you for death or bodily injury to other people as well as for damage to other people's property, usually up to $20 or $30 million.

What's excluded from cover?

Landlord contents insurance doesn't cover the following:

  • Regular maintenance
  • A poorly maintained property
  • Contents (e.g. the items you keep at the property)
  • Mould (unless the mould was covered by an insured event)
  • Roots of trees, shrubs and plants
  • Building defects
  • Wear and tear
  • Damage caused by vermin, insects or rodents
  • Damage caused by ground movement
  • Damage caused by movement of the sea
  • Damage caused by a power surge
  • Damage related to war

Insurers are unlikely to cover you for bushfires, storms, floods or tsunamis in the first 72 hours of your policy.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site